Is it true that Derick's mom is very ill with, cancer? If so, perhaps, JimBob & Michelle should not be thinking of how they are "loosing a daughter," the family is subtracting etc. If they were the Christians they purport to be, they would be thinking & praying, for Derick's, mom, step-dad & brother. That's all there is to Derick's immediate family & this illness is far more important, than Jim Bob "tearing up," when he thinks about giving his daughter away. How can they continue to make everything about themselves when Derick's family is going through such a traumatic time?
That completely stinks! I wish hus mom all good things and hope shes up to going to wedding. Maybe that is why he rushed into getting married. I just feel awful for the family.
Congratulations Derick and Jill. May every day you will spend together bring you much happiness! May every moment of your new life become as blissful as possible!
Praying also for Derick's mom. May this lovely woman have the strength to join the new wedded couple on their special day.
Very sad new about Derick's mother. But you know Michelle is rejoicing in her heart. No spoiling for Jill and she and Jim Bob get to call the shots. Vile people.
The article also mentioned they are expecting TWO THOUSAND guest. Holy moley! Who exactly are they inviting?! No wonder their registry was filled with duplicates and things that are a bit nontraditional for a wedding. If they are expecting so many guests, it makes sense that they would need a very, very large registry.
Oh, I meant to add, I'm not surprised Josh isn't in the wedding party -- doesn't Derick get to choose who he wants? And I bet, he did! :) Good for you Derick, 'cause your last name's NOT Duggar. :)
I'm praying for his mom, though. Cancer's an ugly thing...
Today's article quotes Jim Bob as saying,"I've been crying half the day, so I'm making jokes to keep from crying," Jim Bob told everyone at the couple's rehearsal dinner, where guests took turns sharing memories and advice for the couple."
I knew it. Tears for himself, no doubt, rather than for Jill and Derick's happiness, or empathy for Derick's ill mother which I was extremely saddened to read about today. My guess is that Jim Bob sobs on the stage when he gets to make his speech literally accepting the fact that his total control over his daughter has ended.
I guess we'll find out when the show hits the tube and breaks a viewing record. Jim Bob, just concentrate on rich Jill is making you.
I also read that Jill and Derick were hungry when they saw cereal on the website so they added it to their registry "and actually already got some." This makes me suspect of their humanitarian work because once you've worked with starving people living in poverty you do not flippantly asking for food for yourself when you have plenty. If anything, you suggest that people make donations to your favorite humanitarian organizations.
If Michelle and Jim Bob want to adopt children to replace the ones they're losing, there are thousands of child refugees sitting in less than ideal conditions near the southern border, and some of them are from El Salvador, one of the countries they visited on a show.
Although it shouldn't by now, their hypocrisy startles me over and over again. I just wish they would stay out of politics. Then I think I could actually enjoy them. The children, discounting Josh who is an adult, haven't done anything wrong. They're just products of their environment and are generally sweet.
Oh, that was evident at the "greet Derrick at the airport" fiasco. Ten million Duggars front and center, with their signs and bulk. And, I'm sorry, but even though Jill and Derrick were officially courting at that stage, she should have allowed Derrick's stepfather and brother to be front and center. She's only known Derrick for a little while, and it was all about her, her, her. I get it that they are "in love" and an official couple at that point, but if she were my daughter, I would've talked to her about using some discretion and being sensitive to the feelings of Derrick's family.
Michelle has taught Jill the "Duggars are the center of the universe" concept quite well.
So happy Cathy, Derick's mom, was able to attend the wedding. I'm thinking it was best she didn't attend the rehearsal so that she would have enough energy to attend the ceremony. Wishing her the best and hoping for a full recovery so that she will be able to spoil Jill as well as future grandbabies.
Wampascat, you took the words right out of my mouth, re Michelle, rejoicing in her heart. Yep, this puts Michelle right back in charge where she wants to be. Enough to make you sick. I feel so bad for Derick's mom, & the whole family.
Her dress isn't entirely sleeveless... the style is called capped sleeves. Certainly more typical than the short-sleeve modest type of wedding dress, like the one Anna wore. You can't even really tell that Jill is trying to be modest. It looks very normal and beautiful. But it does have sleeves because the Duggars don't do sleeveless. This is probably the least amount she could get away with..
For now I will remain optimistic that Derick's mom responds well to treatment and makes a full recovery so that she can spoil Jill to her heart's content. Jill is now part of another family and Derick has "authority" so Michelle has to realize that Jill's life does not now revolve only to her ideology.
I understand that a church wedding is not an official closed event; as anyone can enter a church and watch the ceremony under most circumstances, but the wedding reception is usually invitation only. Soo, I doubt 1,000 onlookers attended the reception. It would be impossible to have the space for that; you'd need a football field. I think Jill could have done worse in a wedding dress, it was a nice surprise to see her in this one. However, I think it was a bit maronly looking; the rouching at the waist looked patched and might have been for an older, more chunky bride, also it looked a bit heavy for June in the south. But, it was a pretty dress and I'm glad her neckline and sleeves were NOT t-shirt like. I wish she would have cut off 6 inches in her hair; it looked rather stringy; she could have had a better style; as it had no hairstyle to it. I would like to see the attendants pictures and especially HER parents. So, so happy the Derick's mother felt well enough to attend her son's wedding. All the best, to you, Cathy, in your full recovery; Jill and Derick need you! You can do it.
Jill's dress and veil are gorgeous! What a beautiful dress, I thought for sure she would be in a weirdly altered dress like Michelle's. I liked the flowers too.
I have to give credit where credit is due. Jill looks gorgeous - I love the veil and how it compliments the dress. I hope she and Derick had a joyous day and that JimBob wasn't a big cheeseball master of ceremonies who spouted off phrases like, "living to a higher standard" regarding Jill's first kiss.
The ruching wasn't added. It was part of the original dress. It's currently one of the "in" things for decoration on wedding dresses. I thought the dress was current and fashionable and one of the best of the recent fundie brides. I was surprised and impressed she went along with Alyssa Bates Webster with the tiny cap sleeves.
According to People.com Michelle's original wedding dress was on display at the reception along side Derick's father's police uniform. While I can understand his father's uniform as a tribute due to him being deceased, I can't understand Michelle's dress. Why in the hell does her dress have to be there?! This day is not about you Michelle! It's Jill and Derick's day. The article stated some fluff about the dress symbolizing the importance of marriage. We get it, marriage is important, hints the wedding the 1,000 plus people attended. There is no need for Momma's "look at me" moment. Jill was beautiful by the way. Can't wait to see the wedding party pictures.
I completely agree with you, Mom in Texas...Michelle just can't seem to stay out of the spotlight in any given situation. I was really disgusted with her during the proposal episode just as Jill and Derick came to the house to officially announce that they were engaged. As soon as they walked in the door Michelle had to make some very loud comment that "I see hands being held" before they could say anything. What was supposed to be a big moment for the newly engaged couple was taken away because Michelle had to jump the gun and steal their thunder. I know most of this is staged and rehearsed and the family knew the engagement was coming, but it just so annoying to see Michelle who just can't keep her mouth shut get all the attention. Displaying your old wedding dress at your daughter's wedding reception is in very bad taste.
Not to change the subject from Dericks Mom but what the heck was Michelles wedding dress hanging up in the church on display for. I know they had Dericks Dads police uniform but come on. Michelles wedding dress. Michelle always makes it about her doesn't she. Her and Jim Boob are some sick weirdos. That is just creepy that she had her wedding gown hanging next to Dericks Dads uniform. I can't even imagine what Dericks mother thought about that but then the poor woman is so ill she probably didn't care.
I absolutely cannot believe that they had Michelle's original gown on display at the wedding. If it was so sentimental why did she need a "new dress," for the vow renewal ceremony? My daughter wanted to represent her family's continuity also. She had a wedding picture of, my husband & me, her in- laws, grandparents on each side of the family .A picture was fine, more than enough & it was her idea.. Nobody dragged their old wedding gown to her wedding.
I hope Derrick's mom is o.k. According to the People article mom cam straight from the hospital to the wedding ceremony. I hope they had a wonderful day, and our thoughts and prayers are with them.
How can they continue to make everything about themselves? It's the Jimboob and Michelle show. On another site they showed Michelle's wedding dress and one of Derrick's late father's police shirts on display at the reception. Just goes to show that Michelle always want the full attention on her.
I couldn't believe it when I saw that Michelle's wedding dress was on display. WHAT. THE. HE**! The tribute to Derick's father was great but what was that dress a tribute to? Hey, get married, become a walking uterus, surrender what tiny brainpower you have left to your husband, and pretend to be all holier-than-thou. Someday you can have a boatload of kids - most who haven't really seen you since they quit nursing!
Anonymous:Alberta Rose's comment: The rehearsal proposal,was filmed by agreement with Duggars & TLC. If the mock proposal to Michelle seemed incestuous to you, talk to Michelle, she was loving it and all the attention. The whole mock proposal was just ridiculous, but it was exactly, a "Duggar Show," all the way.
I firmly agree with "This is how we live our life". I have stated many times "Take the best, leave the rest" of the Duggar way of life. Mock marriage proposals might be THEIR way of life but it is definitely NOT EVER going to be something I will teach my son nor will I encourage it among the young adults I know.
I couldn't believe Michelle's old wedding gown hanging there, please. I could definitely understand the significance of Derick's Dad's uniform, very touching, but Michelle's gown made no sense. Come to think of it, I am more surprised Michelle didn't wear the dress and veil, she would have really gotten a lot of attention then.
I have stated many times "Take the best, leave the rest" of the Duggar way of life.
I can go there. The issue for me is that there is very, very little best. I live debt free and taught my children the same except for college loans and mortgages. I'm also a Christian but definitely not a cult Christian. I think it ends there. I actually brought up my own children. They are educated and employed with almost all of them having their own families. I know them and accept them for who they are. I don't try to control adults.
Ok, so I must admit I am pleasantly surprised at what I've seen of the wedding so far. Everything just looked very classic & well thought out. Derick & Jill appeared like a normal bride & groom, as in no weird vibes like Josh & Anna, David & Priscilla, etc. (even though we haven't actually seen the first kiss, I'm almost 100% confident no one had to be subjected to a dive-in & suck-face display...yuck)
I loved the getaway car (vintage truck) decorated so sweet & "wedding-like" (no shrink wrap or trash bags). The guys grey suits were classic & very fitting for the season, with the summer-peach flowers a really nice compliment.
Jill's dress was much prettier than I expected, however I thought it looked a bit old for her, maybe more fitting for a 30-something. I also didn't care for the ruching, esp. on Jill who I think has a pretty nice figure. Her veil complimented the dress very nicely. It looked really similar to Alyssa Bates, but I didn't really like it w/ Alyssa's style of dress. Her hair definitely could've been more polished and honestly I've seen it look 10 times better on any given day. I thought a half-up, half-down style w/ a low profile beaded clip would have been the way to go. Her eyebrow pencil was pretty dark, even if only for photos, something about it just looked a little off. All in all, very pretty, and thank goodness, no t-shirt style.
Apparently Josh was the emcee of the whole event (ugh) & I can only imagine what kind of speech JB came up with. Michelle's dress on display? Seriously? egads. I haven't seen any pics of what she was actually wearing as the mother of the bride. Maybe (hopefully) Jill picked it out for her.
So from what I've read I'm assuming the following: no social media allowed?...exclusive first pic rights to People?...exclusive live filming/video to TLC?... All in the name of ministry... oh, and a bit of cash...
This is what I'd like to hear The Duggars "explain" on their next Q&A.
I agree with you Alberta Rose, but you were the one that said it seemed incestuous to you & you couldn't watch. I only said they filmed it because TLC & the Duggars wanted it that way.
Being at almost 80 years old, I have been to my fair share of weddings; some small, some large, some at little county churches, some at cathedrals. Outdoor receptions, over the top ones,in huge venues. So many different ways to honor a beloved family members, I can't remember all of them. But, never, never, have I seen a mother of the bride, have her wedding dress on display at her daughters wedding. What a disgrace! Michelle Duggar should be ashamed of herself, but I'm sure she isn't!
I hope & pray for Derick's mom to make a full recovery. I also hope, that Jill will totally devote her time, when Derick is at work to being at her new mother-in-laws side. She needs Jill & Derick now & Jill has done for the Duggars all her life. Although, I normally wouldn't say, a new bride should devote herself to her mil, this is an exception & the right thing to do.
I was disgusted to see Michelle's wedding dress in that photo. My question to her that I want answered is, why? I think that there would not be such an uproar if she had displayed something of her mother or of her sister that passed away recently. This by far has to be the most tacky thing I've seen any mother do at her child's wedding.
As for Derick's mother, I hope she has a speedy recovery and can be a good role model to Jill.
Derick seems like he loves Jill. I really question if Jim Bob played matchmaker. Just a feeling.
Wampascat, you took the words right out of my mouth i just hope and pray that Derick mom will be OK Michelle wants to be Number 1 , Ann left her family and came and lived with Josh and i hope they have a great life together , but to wait till your married to spend time together is sad
I didn't find Jill's dress too mature for her at all. It's one of the most youthful fundie dresses we've seen lately. Ruching is currently trendy and is seen on a lot of the wedding dresses. It isn't old lady any more.
Anyone else find it odd the Duggars can just turn up at a church and hold an event? We all know they "home church" whatever that means but for weddings and funerals they head to the local baptist church to use their facilities? Jill's event looks like it was held in a nice place but not sure what connection the Duggar's have to it. Maybe Derick's family are members?
RE: Alberta Rose's comment, that the mock proposal is not something she would teach her son, or encourage among young people. I don't really think it's something you will need to concern yourself about or "hide" from your son or others. I believe this is the very first time most of us have ever heard of "mock rehearsal," for a proposal. I sill maintain it was a set up by TLC. Derick was going to do whatever was required of him until the wedding was over.
As usual, the Duggars served up plenty of food for their guests...300 cupcakes for 1,000 guests. I guess it's easy to divide up a cupcake to serve more than one person!
I hope Derick's mother gets better soon. She seemed to be a very nice lady and I was hoping Jill and her would be close. She wanted to spoil Jill, I loved that! Michelle sure hasn't spoiled Jill, I bet ms. Dillard feels sorry for Jill.
As usual, the Duggars served up plenty of food for their guests...300 cupcakes for 1,000 guests. I guess it's easy to divide up a cupcake to serve more than one person!
---
They also had 3,000 root beer floats and 3,000 cookies (more than enough for 1 each). They may have had other treats, like brownies, rather than just having one type of treat per person. A lot of modern weddings have dessert buffets rather than just one cake for all people to have. But the article doesn't go into detail about everything that was served.
Anyone else find it odd the Duggars can just turn up at a church and hold an event? We all know they "home church" whatever that means but for weddings and funerals they head to the local baptist church to use their facilities? Jill's event looks like it was held in a nice place but not sure what connection the Duggar's have to it. Maybe Derick's family are members?
--
There are plenty of churches that will allow you to rent space for weddings or other such events. My cousin got married in a church she and her now-husband didn't attend, mainly because they wanted to have a church wedding but aren't particularly religious. The Duggars obviously needed a space large enough to hold them, and have it be religiously significant, so they chose a church to rent from. But plenty of churches do the same thing, and will even officiate the wedding if you do premarital counseling through them. Hardly weird.
Well; Thank goodness Jill is out of there!! I am happy for the couple. Michelle shouldn't have had here wedding dress there. Michelle is all about herself. But from the pictures; It seem Jill and Derek had a great day. I hope Derick's Mother gets well soon. I want her to enjoy her Daughter-In-Law. And Jill to enjoy her Mother-In-Law!!! Jill is FREE FROM DUGGAR LAND!!!!
When Michelle writes her next "parentable article," I hope she devotes it to Derick's mom, & requests prayers for Derick's family. They wanted everyone on board to pray for them, with the loss of Jubilee. I'm sure, they won't acknowledge what a difficult time this is for, Derick & his new wife, & the rest of his family. But, it will be all about how they miss Jill, & what a loss it is to their family not to have Jill in the home anymore. Please, show some of that "Christian Charity," you brag about & think of someone else, beside your immediate family. Derick is your first son-in- law & you should show compassion for what he is going through with his mom. She seems like a wonderful person. It just kills me, to think that Michelle might, be rejoicing in this tragic turn of events, that Derick &, his entire family(of which Jill is now a member) are facing.
I'm not sure, & maybe someone on the blog would know, but I was thinking, that might have been the church where Jubilees funerl was held. We know it held at least a thousand people for the funeral. Of course, it could be a church Derick's family is affiliated with, but the name of the church sounded familiar to me
Has anyone seen the recent images on Jill and Derrick's fan page on Facebook? They look like they could possibly be taken be paparazzi. There is one of Jill getting into a possible police car and Derick has his hand on her head. It looks very odd. Another one she looks like she is trying to lay down in the back of said car. Another one of them kissing in their getaway car. On fb just search for Jill and Derick fan page not their official fb account.
Anonymous said: There is one of Jill getting into a possible police car and Derick has his hand on her head. It looks very odd.
The one with his hand on her head was to help prevent her from bumping her head while she gets in and the other was supposedly all in fun. At least that is what pretty much was written under each picture.
No one said all her worldly goods fit in one bag. She probably moved most things to the new house a few days before the wedding and had cosmetics and necessities for the wedding to take to the hotel where she and the ladies of the wedding party spent the night before the wedding.
I wouldn't be surprised to see an early pregnancy. Derrick might want his mom to see her first grandchild if her time is short. Let's pray for a long healthy life for her.
Well, when you think about it, all her clothing was in a shared closet. Who knows how much she took? Other than toiletries and Bible, she probably didn't have much to call her own. A suitcase and her harp and she could be outta there!
The reason Jill's wedding was so classy is probably because they had a wedding coordinator. On one of the videos just after they got engaged, Jill said they had to go and meet with one.
I was also surprised at how well coordinated the colors, flowers and dress were. I wonder if TLC encouraged that.
I saw pictures of Jill's gown and I thought it was lovely...little cap sleeves and a modest V neck. I usually don't like lace on gowns but I though hers was very pretty. Fingertip veil. Derick wore a grey tux and looked nice. I am not a fan of the "I haven't shaved in 3 days" look, but apparently Jill likes it and that's all that matters. I wish them well. They should try and get as far from the Duggar compound as possible--back to Nepal, maybe! There were a lot of pictures on the website of the British newspaper the Daily Mail.
I wonder if the girls are scared when they get married. Daddy finds a man for them. Then they start courting, get engaged and get married withing months. They are constantly chaperoned texting, on the phone, Skyping and going on dates. There first kiss is front of hundreds of people while it is being filmed for the show. Then it's off to the wedding night with Michelle's words of wisdom about never saying no to your husband no matter what in their heads. They are then alone for the first time ever without having to have someone with them for accountability. Then there is the pressure to get pregnant as soon as possible. Anna was devastated that she wasn't pregnant within weeks of getting married. They don't have time to even get to really know each other. Maybe Jimboob and Michelle give there kids cases of EPTs for wedding gifts.
hello said: I wonder if the girls are scared when they get married. _____________________________ You raised some great points. I never truly thought about the situation these girls are put into. You go from living under your parents thumb,slaving away raising siblings, to being an adult (though legally they've been adults for years) overnight. An adult with adult responsibilities and expectations such as birthing children every 10 to 12 months and submitting to your husband's every whim. When are these girls lives ever their own? Never. They are born and raised to be submissive mothers, nothing more. Of all the girls, Jill seems to be the one who most bought into what Jim Bob and Michelle were selling so she may find the transition into this life (presuming she and Derick stay the course) easy. But I wonder how some of the other girls will fare if they never get to live their own lives. The pressure can be devastating. Seeing Jill and Derick's wedding photos shows they really couldn't wait to be together and kiss and front hug, but are they really prepared for life together? I wish them all the luck. Hopefully because Derick has been allowed to have a normal adulthood, Jill will be okay.
I think everyone looks very nice in the wedding photos we have seen thus far. I cannot imagine having 1000 guests to plan for at a wedding, so have to believe they had a lot of help.
What I wonder is as the other Duggars get married down the line, whether they will get as many gifts or as big a ceremony. Sometimes it helps to be first in line---well, second, in this case---but first among the daughters... Kind of like the oldest have tons of baby pictures, then they start diminishing as the parents get busier with more children.
How many guests did Josh and Anna have? I feel like their wedding was a lot smaller. I wonder if the Duggars open up their wedding ceremonies to more fans and people now that they are more famous. I read an article that the woman who owns the bridal shop where Jill got her dress came to the wedding. The woman lives in Virginia! We invited a couple hundred people to our wedding, but I can't imagine inviting someone I just met like a shop owner. So weird... They must have had a lot of donations because huge weddings are not cheap!
Jill got her dress from Fredericksburg. At first she didn't want lace but was encouraged to try different styles and ended up with a lace dress anyway, which I thought was gorgeous on her.
The reason Jill's wedding looked so classy is probably because they had a wedding coordinator. In one of the videos filmed after they were engaged, Jill mentions that they need to meet with one. I wonder if TLC encouraged that.
I'll bet they got a discount on the wedding dress in exchange for free publicity too.
There is a photo posted but a fan on Jill and Derick's fan page on Facebook of their first kiss! Of course Jim Bob is standing there with his goofy grin. I feel like I have seen the pastor on an episode before.
Okay, Jill looks gorgeous. And the color of the bridesmaids dresses is nice. But the style? Wow. Horrible. The slips under the girls' dresses to make them longer just make it look like the slip is showing. Why couldn't they just wear longer dresses instead of putting that stupid modesty shield or whatever it is. Yuck yuck yuck. Okay, now I'm disappointed.
Also: Anna doesn't look pregnant in the slightest. I think the photo of her sitting down was just enhancing her stomach. Either that or she's barely along because she isn't showing at all in that dress.
Can't really tell what color Michelle is wearing, but it seems pretty close to the gray in the suits.... which makes her blend in. Probably not really her favorite look since she wants to be the center of attention. Kodos to the wedding coordinator for making sure the attention was on Jill. However, the style of dress didn't really flattor Anna or Mary.
Anonymous said: I think this was Jill's dress before alterations:
That is the dress. I think the seamstress did a good job building it up with lace to make it modest. Regarding the family wedding picture. I do like the bridesmaid dresses but I don't care for the white at the bottom. I think a contrasting color or even a subtle print would have looked much nicer. That's my opinion but, if they were happy with it then that is what matters more.
I just saw a photo of the bridal party. What in the world is the white fabric hanging down from under the girls dresses? It looks like each of them have a slip that is falling down about 10 inches under the dress? Otherwise, the dress would be ok.
Yikes! I hadn't seen the bridal party dresses, etc. & now I know why. After thinking everything seemed so classic & nicely put together, I knew there had to be a catch. Are those brown belts on the dresses, to match brown shoes they're wearing? Oh wow, Anna's shoes look hideous. Grandma is in matching with the teal/turquoise color, and Michelle wearing...grey? Newsboy caps for the ringbearers and...well, I don't know except I can see why this pic wasn't released with the first batch.
Sorry, the color of the girl's dresses are the only thing nice I can say about their dresses. They just plain ugly, IMO. Jim Bob is attired like he is a groomsman, and the younger boys look like 1920s "rum runners". Dressing her entire family in the bridal party colors just shows how Jill can't separate herself from her parents and siblings. Not a good sign of things to come, IMO. The very little girls look nice. Can't see Queen Michelle's dress, wonder why she didn't just wear her old bridal gown and get it over with. We all know she wanted the maximum attention. Such a fashion disaster...
Michelle's dress looks kind of lavender to me. For the bridesmaids dresses, could not they not find longer dresses? Those girls sew, they could have made their own, too. I wonder about the brown shoes. White would have been more summery. Maybe for shoes they just decided to go with what they had. My grandmother went to a wedding where the bride didn't want the bridesmaids to have to buy a pair of shoes to wear once so they all had their toenails painted to match their dresses. They had long dresses and it looked fine at the wedding as you could barely see their feet, anyway. However, no one thought about the reception and dance! Well, long dresses and white or silver shoes would worked, I think. But it's a pretty color and everyone looks happy. I love Grandma's dress. Matching the bridesmaids is a little weird but the it does look great on her.
Sorry, I may be in the minority here, but I HATE the teal. Teal can be a pretty color, but the way its done here, it looks like bad 80's prom. The bridesmaid dress style is also weird with the extra fabric.
Having said that, Grandma looks fresh as a daisy and is outshining her daughter-in-law. Take that, Michelle! And, of course, the young girls are crawling all over the place - but their dresses are cute.
So sheet looking at the possible before alterations dress I have to say, I love it a lot more WITH the alterations. It's much more classy and stylish the way Jill had it I think.
I actually love the colors together. The teal is beautiful. But I am not a fan of the bridesmaids dresses. They look understated considering how elegant Jill and the decor looked. However, it was Jill and Derick's day so if they were happy, then that's all that matters.
I am not sure where this 'Anna is pregnant" speculation is coming from because personally she looks slimmer than normal in this photo. Granted, it's the only one I've seen of her. I think it's kind of sad that she is on perpetual pregnancy watch. Although it seems to be her family's obsession as well, others have her on pregnancy watch every time she gets a little bloated. She isn't the only woman on Earth to be pregnant, ever. With Anna's potential to be pregnant many more times how long will this go on?
Okay, this is one of the things that drives me nuts about the Duggars. They are all about things being better in the old days, thus the courting, modest dress, saying "expecting", etc. Well, guess what? It's rude for men and boys to wear hats indoors. Fifty years ago people would have yanked those hats off the boys in a church. The Duggars follow the better, more godly, old-fashioned rules except when it doesn't suit them.
I also think the bridesmaids dresses look like everyone's slip has fallen down. Why didn't they just wear a dress that was a little longer but the same color? You don't change color at that point in the dress. I've never seen a bridesmaids dress that was a solid color until the bottom of the dress, then became about 6-8 inches of either cream or white color. Definitely looked like every ones slip was showing about 6-8 inches. Also, "tea length," dresses are very popular in my area, as they are not floor length, but come to just below the calf of the leg & look very nice, they certainly are modest. Sometimes girls do wear the dress too long or too short. Couldn't tell from the picture, about Michelle's dress, but of course, she did have her hair that same horrible crunchy-bushy style. Why couldn't she have pulled it back or done something with it just for that day? Michelle's hair, never even looks like it's been brushed or combed. Kelly Bates' hair looked nice at the Bates family weddings.
Just noticed that in the family picture, Michelle's hair is actually covering her corsage. Grandma has her hair pushed back a little & you can see her corsage fine
For some reason, although I thought Jill looked gorgeous & give credit where credit is due for her gown, (but not the bridesmaids,) I believe the comment heard most often that day, by the father of the bride was indeed; Michelle, you look sooooooooooo beautiful!!
Guess I just have to comment on the wedding pics so far. I'm sorry, but I wonder what kind of wedding planner they had. Did Jill over-rule the planner? I mean, the shoes, really?? What a shame for a seemingly formal church wedding. The colors were cute but not carried out well IMO. The dresses were cute on her Pinterest but somehow they didn't transfer the same at her wedding. It looks like the white "slip" part was too big, don't you think? I am partial to the longer dresses for the girls, but it was summer and it was the afternoon I believe. I thought the boys in suspenders were kind of cute. I didn't care for the canopy - too big - and not many flowers that I could see. The colors were much prettier than Alyssa's though (sorry, JMO). Can't please everyone. I think Erin and Anna had the best dresses/pictures so far. Jill was absolutely beautiful, however, and I loved the gray that the guys wore. Just really nice. I also agree Grandma was beautiful. One more comment - WHY can't the fundies get a formal picture without one or more of the little ones acting up? Is it just impossible? That really bugs me for some reason. O.K., I'm done. Love J&D and hope they are having a wonderful honeymoon.
In the picture of the wedding party, grandma's dress goes all the way to her shoes, in the teal color with a little ruffle effect at the bottom above her shoes. Why in the world did the bridesmaids look like their slips were falling down? They had a teal ruffle above that white fabric, why not continue with a teal ruffle to the knee, or even below if needed for modesty sake.
You know I have to wonder just how many of the Duggars' friends stepped up to the plate for Jill's wedding, & offered their 3 T's. That would be their ;Time, Talent & Treasure. Anything they ever do there is always a; "dear friend," there that wants to help. When Josh & Anna were getting married, the entire church did that wedding. Mr Keller was not the pastor there, it was because it involved the "Duggar Family." Women of the church did the flowers, decorated the church, did all the food. Josh himself said it would have cost a fortune for their families to provide all that. I remember the ladies from the church showing them pictures of the cake, they could do for them. It was a modest cake & they said they could supplement with, sheet cake. However, Josh & Anna selected a huge cake with many, many, other side layer cakes, all beautifully decorated with little bridges connecting them to the main cake. When they were in Little Rock, when Josie was born, before they rented a home, they had a "dear friend," that gave them their home to use over the Christmas holidays, completely decorated with a beautiful tree. They had the people from, "Friendly Chapel, first help them move in & then move out of the house they rented. They walked out & left those people to clean everything. No big donation to the church & we would have seen that, they just help out yearly with he annual "fish fry," collecting trash etc. They have friends that give the kids music lessons, tutor them in Spanish. When they were giving their testimony at one church, they stayed with friends they didn't know. We knew this as, they didn't know their names, or how many children they had. These people had a "friend" that had a place on the lake, so they could all go water skiing, jet skiing. wakeboarding, etc. Friends that come over for diner, bring the dinner, i.e. the family that then took Jim Bob & Jinger turkey hunting. Steve, the trainer for the weight loss challenge, was also a friend. There is so much more, I can't mention all of it, but you better believe they had many, many, "friends," involved on this wedding!
The first thing I thought of when I saw the bridesmaids dresses was that I wondered how many Salvation Armies did they have to go to to find the matching dresses. Couldn't they have at least gotten something decent? It looked so Hicksville with those awful shoes. Thought Mary Duggar outshone everyone.
The first picture I saw of Jill's dress I thought it was a strapless dress with some heavy lace added in the front and back. The dress itself made her look kind of thick between her waist and her bust. It didn't look like it was altered to her body correctly. Who knows. Maybe fundies aren't allowed to have their wedding dresses fitted to their bodies. I also wondered if this was the first new item of clothing Jill ever had.
On the positive side, much luck and love to Jill and Derick. They both deserve it.
BTW, does anyone know if Jill and Derick had a professional photographer at their wedding? I hope we get to see some of the "posed" pics, like the ones that Kelly Bates puts on her blog. They are always really nice and you get a good idea of the wedding. I hope Jill can post a few like that. I am anxiously awaiting for Alyssa's to come out and hopefully Jill's as well.
RE: Michelle's, old/original dress at the wedding. Even if, God Forbid, I had passed away before my daughter's wedding, I think at the very most, just a picture of the late mother of the bride, would be sufficient. I have seen this done in the past, & the picture is often place along by the guest book. It's a nice tribute, to a mother that can no longer be there, for her daughter's big day. Nobody with an ounce of sense, drags their old wedding dress to their daughter's wedding. Didn't we all know that Michelle would find a way to get her oar in the water at this wedding?
I am surprised they used that picture. Micjelle's smile looks forced and the little one in front, has her dress hiked up, with one shoe on and one shoe off.
I agree with Ginger. I'll bet not much came out of Jim Bob's wallet for the wedding. I also, remember how those wonderful, people from the "Friendly Chapel" were treated. They really worked so hard cleaning that house as the Duggars were leaving. I think now, it's just whoever can make it from the Duggar family,will go to the "Fish Fry," fund raiser. All the Duggars are not always available for that.
On facebook-Derick and Jill fans-there ia a collage of pictures-if you open one of the pictures and advance there is a picture of the bridesmaids and Jill-the dresses and shoes look worse up close-they are lace and the white part is also lace-Jill must really had her head in the clouds not to see how bad those dresses and shoes were. This wedding was filmed and there are going to be pictures in People magazine-Anna's bridesmaids dresses were so much better and she made them.
I actually don't mind the shoes. The brown matches their belts. My bridesmaids had different styles of black sandals they wore for my wedding and I thought it was fine. To each their own, of course. I did see an outside photo of the bridesmaids and their dresses are much lighter than in this photo. I think it was the lighting that makes it look not as good. It's actually more of a pastel teal and it's quite pretty IMO. And the previous commenter is right, the white part is part of the dress, has the same pattern lace and everything. Just a weird design.
Re: Jac&Jill's comments. I certainly agree, that they shopped at the Salvation Army Store for those dress & shoes. As for the belts, believe it or not I didn't notice the belts, until I read the comments on the blog. I attended a wedding where the bridesmaids had really beautiful dresses. They purchased them at TJ MAXX, and yes they had to call around to several stores to get the number & sizes needed but they only paid; $19.99 each. They were certainly worth the money. The girls looked lovely & years later we are all saying how nice they looked.
I'm assuming at this point they were going for an overall vintage theme and I think the bridesmaid dresses might have been trying to be some kind of a vintage look. But then again, the color certainly not and those weird belts. I don't care for the teal either and actually that's when I thought 'yikes!' when I first saw the pic. Someone commented 80s prom & that's also what I thought, esp. w/ the matching teal ties. I didn't like how JB was dressed the same as all the groomsmen. The newsboy hats & suspenders were going for the vintage look again I think.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Michelle's wedding dress was actually Grandma's dress when she got married & Grandma let her wear it because Michelle, JB & the whole family had no money. I also think I read that pretty much everything at Michelle & JB's wedding was donated by family & friends like the cake, etc. Anyway, if they displayed the dress as some sort of an ode to generations & vintage I can kind of see that, but displaying it next to Derick's late father's police shirt (which I did like that idea) still seemed just a bit too odd.
Re; Mom in Texas comments about Anna being on a perpetual "pregnancy watch." I think the blame for that, can be placed directly on Anna. When the Duggar girls came to visit Josh & Anna in DC, the first time, they brought some baby clothes that Josie had outgrown. Marcus was indeed, really an infant, but Anna made the comment that she already had "baby fever," again. When a woman has a baby that's only a few weeks old & she starts telling the world (via TV)that's she's having "baby fever" again, you can't blame people for having a baby watch.
Re; Tulips comments about Michelle wearing her mother-in- law's dress at her original wedding. Yes, that's true. We know this, as they made a big deal about Michelle not having her own wedding dress, when they celebrated their 25th anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony. Thus the trip to N. Y.to Kleinfelds, to purchase a new dress for Michelle, for the vow renewal. That's why the original dress at Jill's wedding made no sense. Michelle needed a new one for her 25th anniversary, but dragged the old one to Jill's wedding ceremony.
When I saw Jill's wedding picture first, I was hoping the bridesmaids were wearing a peach shade like Dericks tie and her flowers. The teal kind of threw me off. Are there pictures of the bridesmaids and groomsmen? It must have looked weird: the guys in tan and peach and the girls in teal?? I would think that would not match at all. I did like Grandma's dress, she looks the best of anyone. Couldn't see Michelle's dress or shoes. I was hoping Michelle would have had a nicer hairstyle like Kelly Bates.
I read somewhere online that they kept costs low for the wedding of 1000 guests. I find this amusing particularly since parents of the bride traditionally pay for the wedding although maybe not for an older couple who earn regular paychecks. Assuming they're on a tight budget, which they shouldn't be, Jim Bob and Michelle would rather have 1000 guests and feed them cupcakes, root beer, ice cream and a cookie or two, than invite around 400 guests, which is by no means a small wedding, and offer them a slice of specialty wedding cake, punch, some tea sandwiches or similar foods, still comparatively modest fare for a wedding reception. To each his own, but if I were as wealthy as the Duggars, I wouldn't be boasting to the media about what little I offered my 1000 guests who probably gave my daughter a lovely gift and may have dressed up and traveled an hour or more to attend the event.
With the way Jim Bob Duggar talks about his deceased dad, no way would he allow anything to honor his late father at the wedding. Anyone, that follows the Duggars knows, that Jim Bob had no respect for his dad & has said some dreadful thing about this man who can no longer defend himself. I can never understand why grandma allows this.
I believe from what we've heard from Jim Bob about his dad, he would never allow the family, to honor him at the wedding. It's very sad, as none of us know the whole story, nobody does, but the man is dead & it appears he did his best for his family. Maybe he wasn't in church every Sunday, but his son went to a Christian School & I think he helped as much as he could. We don't know, but Jimbob has no respect for the man
RE: Coleen's comments, I'm not too sure if she follows the Duggars but I must chime in & say that based on JB's past statements about his dad, I don't think under any circumstances, he would want anything to honor his father. When his dad was alive, I never knew he had issues with him, but after he died he has not spoken very kindly about him.
Anonymous 12:52 said in regards to Anonymous 11:44: Are there pictures of the bridesmaids and groomsmen?
Did you look at the header for this thread? __________________________________
I think they are asking are there any photos of each bridesmaid/groomsmen pairings so we can see how the colors look together. The photo in the header is just the Duggar family.
I just knew the Duggars would have "friends" that would help keep down the cost of the wedding. I read from an interview Jill gave, that a friend, baked the wedding cake, all the cookies & other baked goods, also done by friends. Article actually said; "they used friends to set up all the tables & chairs for their guest,1000 of them" I believe the key phrase there is that they "used their friends." Don't they always?
Re: The cookies & cakes as well as the Wedding Cake that were served at Jill's wedding reception, according to an interview Jill gave, all the baked goods at the reception were all made & donatd by family friends.
You raised some great points. I never truly thought about the situation these girls are put into. You go from living under your parents thumb,slaving away raising siblings, to being an adult (though legally they've been adults for years) overnight. An adult with adult responsibilities and expectations such as birthing children every 10 to 12 months and submitting to your husband's every whim. When are these girls lives ever their own? Never.
Once you choose to get married, you stop having a life of your own. If you want a life of your own, don't get married. There are plenty of secular women who are raised to believe that marriage is the intertwining of two lives and until you are ready for the intertwining, don't get married. It's probably why Jill waited until she got her midwifery career well established and made a point of doing a bit of midwifery work while visiting Derick. She was make a point that midwifery is part of intertwining and he needed to accept that part of her life.
==Once you choose to get married, you stop having a life of your own. If you want a life of your own, don't get married. ==
I don't believe that you stop having a live of your own once you get married. You stop doing certain things that are only appropriate for single people) when you get married, but you replace that with other things. Normally you DON'T have to give up your entire life or career these days unless you have to move far away.
However, I believe the original post that this quote was in answer to stated that the Duggar girls go from their parent's envision of life for them directly to marriage... without an adult time in-between just for them. Yes, Jill got to do some midwifery work but only because her Dad gave his permission, and with a chaperone. She didn't get to experience life on her own.
Re; Alberta Rose' comments...what the; H..l? How many married women Doctors & Lawyers, Educators, are there out? Jill is no midwife yet!! TLC set up a visit for Jill in Nepal, to the clinic, to observe the midwife. Twenty minutes(at the most) or so, talking to the midwife, a patient, & looking over their equipment, wasn't exactly throwing it in Derick's face, that she would still keep up with her career as a midwife. She hasn't even finished her training, & nobody knows if she will continue. She can't call herself a midwife.
I can't believe anyone thinks Jill has her midwifery career well established. She is not a midwife, & I don't know if she will ever finish her training. Don't forget, all the time she has taken off, to write the book do the publicity tour, visit Derick be involved in a courtship, engaged & planning a wedding. I remember the midwife she was training under, said Jill had a lot more time before she would be finished.
I agree with My Thoughts comments. Jill never experience life on her own & neither will any of the other Duggars. Traveling on the bus with the family is not living on your own. Going to college & living away from home at a dorm, or sharing an apartment with others, where you need to figure out your bills, do your own shopping & a million little things, that you never even think about, when you live under you parent's roof. that's what prepare you for your life in the real world
I am sorry Alberta Rose, I have to disagree. I made the original comment and I must say, I do not believe that once you get married you stop having a life of your own. Yes, marriage does bind two people ans two lifestyles but their is no reason why a married woman can't have a career, hobbies, interests, and dreams of her that only she participates in. I have a career and I like to do many things that don't involve my spouse or children. Is there always time? No but I still manage to engage in these interests from time to time. Does it mean I love my family any less or neglect my duties as a wife and a mother? No. Women really can do more than birth children and tend house. I am also a Christian so again, there is still time for me to have a full life. I know everyone is entitled to choose their own path, their life, their beliefs but my original point is that Jill Dillard has NEVER been given that option. There is a wonderful freedom is getting to make simple choices for yourself such as what you wear, what you eat, where you go, anything that doesn't require a group vote or your parents approval first. I consider my spouse in many decisions I make but not all. I also was allowed to live a normal, adult life prior to marriage. Again,I wish Jill and Derick the best. I hope that Jill gets to live HER life before everything become Derick and "the little ones".
It really makes no sense to me how long this midwife "training" of Jill's is taking. When they first started talking about it they said something like 4 years (or more)? Now granted, I do think plenty of time is essential, esp. when dealing w/ human life & having the responsibility of bringing new life into the world, HOWEVER, what doesn't make sense to me is she'll go through all this time & not even be a certified NURSE midwife. I mean if that's what she wants, fine, but my point is that it just seems like the Duggars jump through all these hoops to avoid participating in "worldliness", but then take 3-4 times as long to accomplish something without gaining the higher prestige they could deserve. Look at the CollegePlus and some of these "Bible" colleges that are promoted, but they're not even accredited programs/institutions. The Crown College Erin went to is not accredited, but according to their website, they are "working with a Christian organization toward national accreditation"...(insert IMO: still and/or supposedly) And then they do all this volunteer firefighter stuff & political mumbo jumbo, but honestly, I just want to shout from the rooftops...Just go and get a real, gosh darn education people!
Ah, yes, "sitting on lap"...they can now do "that", Lol... I remember when Josh & Anna did that, specifically, there was an episode of a big Duggar gathering in the great room w/ JB standing front & center making some kind of proclamation and there was Josh & Anna sitting on the couch among the whole family, Anna sitting on Josh's lap, almost same pose. (You wouldn't dare see them doing that now...that's just too rookie) I also recall a Bates pic where Whitney was sitting on Zach's lap.
Re; Mom in Texas's comments. I agree with you that any woman can & should,if she wants to, continue her career. There is certainly a way to have a happy, home, hubby & children, as well as a career. I agree, not everything is perfect everyday, but it's not perfect & all roses in anyone's life. Your points, about the lack of freedom, in Jill's life are well taken. I agree with you, about the simple freedoms in daily life. People that have never experienced these daily freedoms, will never understand what it's like to experience, a full well-rounded life. You cannot live your life by anyone else's rules & regulations. Sometimes, I honestly don't think the Duggars are living in this century, but then of course, I see all the up to the minute technology in their home & it only confuses me more. No freedom to make your own daily decisions in this era. I'll never understand & would not want to live that way. I also wish Jill the best, but have my doubts. She has not completed her "education," as a midwife, & it's anyone's guess if she will. Very sad.
I agree with tulips' comments about Jill's midwife training, as well as the College Plus & other educational programs the Duggars endorse. As a nurse, I have seen student nurses complete their education, receiver their degree & pass their license exam, in the same time frame that Jill has been pursuing her "midwife training." Nobody really knows exactly what her education will be preparing her for; is she going to be, a midwife, a Certified Midwife, a Licensed Midwife? A Certified & Licensed Midwife? I really don't know any midwifes personally, but do know there are many different levels in that field. This is apparent to me, as I see the requirements for the various levels of a midwifery, when I renew my nursing license every 2 yrs. There are different, Continuing Education Units, required to renew any license. Truthfully, I believe this midwife training, is no different that the various men in the church, like Gill Bates, that just decide they have a calling to be a minister, do a few courses online, shadow an educated professional & they are a "Pastor." The church leaders needed to find something appropriate for the unmarried women, so it's midwifery or a doula. I think Jill has only done online courses,(I know there are a lot of online for every profession) we have never seen or heard of classroom work & there absolutely must be some classroom work. I think she then apprenticed with a certified midwife. We don't even know if the midwife she is training with is certified or licensed? So she does online courses, shadows a midwife, when she not busy with other "time constraints," & poof, she's a midwife. I think with both a mother's life & infants life, hanging in the balance, I would want the one that had done it all! Sorry for the long rant.
Jill sitting on Derick's lap. Good for them. They look happy and at ease with each other. For us who wondered how Jill would handle the sudden intimacy of marriage well, just by looking at that picture personally I won't have to wonder anymore. Jill looks happy and satisfied.
The one thing that gives me hope is that Derick seems like a solid guy who loves and respects Jill as a person. I think he will give her time to adjust to married life without imposing strict "sanctions" and rules about their lifestyle, i.e., we must have children right away! Keep wearing skirts! Keep your hair long! etc.
I think Derick will respect Jill's wishes if she wants to continue wearing skirts, wearing her hair long, etc., but won't have a cow if she decides to branch out a bit, evaluate things on her own, and says, "Hey, I'd really like to continue my education," or "I think I can be a good Christian without wearing flip flops." Contrast that to JimBob's horrible reaction to Michelle's straight-hair makeover, and I can only imagine what he would do if Michelle told him she wanted to wear pants.
I must say I am surprised by Jill. I thought for sure she had bought in to her parent's beliefs completely. I was so glad to see the frontal hug with Derrick. She also picked a more mainstream young man. My hope is she will hold off on having babies and go to a real school and get real midwife or nursing training. It's sad her parents have held her back. She could be a full RN by now, and headed to a Master's. I hope I hope Derrick will encourage her to blossom, and wish them the best.
re Anonymous@ 10:18 comment about Jill. I believe the key phrase there is; "If she finishes the requirements, & passes the exam." Will she then be able to practice in any other state or country? If she is anxious to at some point, work in midwifery, in another country, in a missionary capacity, will she legally be able to do so?.
That's a good question. The requirements she is working toward are only for Arkansas. She'd have to research the requirements an apply in any other state or country. Some accept licensed lay midwives and many don't.
What if JB came upon a traffic accident and a woman who was upset, crying because of her husbands injuries before the police or paramedics get there. When he walks up to her to ask questions, what if she was to reach out to hug him like normal people do in that situation. But she does a frontal hug and is crying her eyes out! And holding on to him for dear life because she is upset and scared! Does he push her away? What would Michelle say when she saw it from the car? She DEFRAUDED her wonderful husband? Their backward ways stink to high top mountain.
Since Derick and Jill have said they want to have as many children as possible,I don't picture Jill continuing with midwivery after her first baby.I oculd be wrong and she may get someone to watch said baby,but after a few of them,I imagine it would be too time consuming.jmo
Yes, marriage does bind two people ans two lifestyles but their is no reason why a married woman can't have a career, hobbies, interests, and dreams of her that only she participates in. I have a career and I like to do many things that don't involve my spouse or children.
I never said you can't have a career. Jill made it clear she plans to continue her career. I moved out when I was 19, I got married when I was 27. I had to let go of a lot of things because I had a life of my own. A 20 year old co-worker of mine who watches 19 Kids and Counting and has heard many older people say they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own has decided to live at home until she gets married. She's not the only secular woman I know who has made that decision. I just helped a woman and her son move to a different city, because the man of the household was unwilling to give up the alcohol life he had established before he met her. I firmly agree with the Duggars. Live your life in such a way you don't have much to give up.
I hope Jill and Derick really think it out on the "have as many babies as possible". Look at how the duggars lived before TLC $ came along--all those kids and not enough bedrooms, or bathrooms etc. TLC $ will not go on forever--all these so called reality shows end eventually along with the big bucks. I just don't get the popping out a baby every nine or ten months. JMO
Maybe once Jill has had a couple of her own she can be the main midwife for all of her sisters' deliveries. Just to keep her hand in it...so to speak... Lord knows with all those sisters and all those future blessings, she'll be a very busy midwife...and she wouldn't even need to look beyond the Duggar family tree!
Re: people saying they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own...
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this notion :) It may be "easier" for Jill to go from being under the authority of her dad to the authority of her husband, and from living under one set of rules that someone else established for her to another set of rules that another person establishes for her, because it's just another form of compliance. However, to me, that's not a "full" life.
What if God had plans for Jill, or any other Duggar child, that fell outside what their parents decided was appropriate for them to do under their roof? What if Jana was meant to be a pre-school teacher at an outside-the-home school, where her strengths would be leveraged? Or Hannie a doctor?
Sure, it's hard to merge two independent lives when a couple gets married. You are coming from two different families, have two different personalities, etc. Even if you make a point to follow the courtship model and only co-mingle with people who have similar backgrounds or convictions, it's still hard to live day-to-day with someone in a new house and living arrangement. But, I don't regret for one minute having lived on my own, explored life on my own terms, etc. And neither does my husband of 20+ years.
==A 20 year old co-worker of mine who watches 19 Kids and Counting and has heard many older people say they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own has decided to live at home until she gets married==
So she unilaterally decided that she could continue to live at her parents home, eat her parents food, generally deprive her parents of the benefits of their children all being adults in fact, not just name only? The Duggars have denied their adult aged offspring the joys and pitfalls of actual adult life (jobs, apartments, bank accounts, bills, road trips, peace and quiet). Jim Bob and Michelle have made it so that they will never be alone with each other in their lifetime. Mary doesn't get any peace and quiet either. Just because a parent and/or child are co-dependent and can't separate as they should doesn't mean it's the right way to go. If a 20+ year old person can't live on their own, then they shouldn't get married either. Is she expecting her husband to take care of her in the same way her parents do since she won't have ever taken care of herself?
The other point I wanted to make is that, just because one person who didn't follow the Duggar lifestyle model ended up with an unhappy life or less-than-ideal situation with a spouse not giving up certain aspects of pre-married life, it does not mean ALL non-Duggar lifestyle people experience the same thing. Conversely, not all people who live on their own prior to marriage end up with problems either transitioning into married life or trying to find the balance between "me" stuff and "couple" stuff.
In fact, 5 minutes on the "Recovering Grace" website would confirm that many people who grew up in the same manner as the Duggars have had many problems in adulthood. That does not mean problems are guaranteed, and I would never wish that upon any of the Duggar children, but I don't think ANY person is guaranteed a happy, carefree marriage or adulthood, regardless of how they lived their lives prior to marriage.
RE: Alberta Rose's comment on living your life in such a way, that you don't have to give up much. The issue here is that of course, that's how Jim Bob & Michelle are living their own lives, but their "adult children," are not. How can anyone think that someone,over the age of eighteen or even worse, in their twenties, that are not even allowed to travel to the next town, or go for coffee, or to the mall by themselves, are living their lives, in a way that they don't have to give up much. I would say they have given up their freedom, but truthfully, they have never had the freedom to live the way they want, once they reached legal age. I have tried to understand that comment, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Seeing that Jill & Derick spent their honeymoon in N.C. I wonder if TLC either owns,or rents a place there, as Jon & Kate went there for a beach vacation 3 yrs in a row. Josh & Anna also honeymooned there.
According to an article in People, Jill said they had 300 cupcakes at the wedding reception. Again, although they had other baked goods, still 300 cupcakes for 1000 people! Also, you would think "punch," instead of root beer floats....rather messy especially with those kids.
I knew the Duggar's "friends," would come through for the wedding. Michelle, is quoted as saying, she is so grateful for all the volunteers that helped put everything together for the wedding. The volunteers did all the decorations, & baking. According to People magazine, there were 600,cupcakes, 3,000 chocolate chip cookies, 3,000 root beer floats & pounds of popcorn. I don't care if it was a "country wedding," you still don't have your "friends," do the work, especially when you have the resources. Also,when you get to over 1,000 guests, it is no longer a little country wedding. I've been to some lovely small country weddings, where family & friends did all the food themselves, but there were not over 1,000, thousand guests. Just another observation, you would think, they would have had punch instead of root beer floats. Very messy, I would think. I can just imagine when they show the episode on the wedding, how Jim Bob will be saying, they had "friends" wanting to pitch in & do the work. He doesn't even realize how stupid it makes him look. What was the point of having a wedding planner, if friends were doing the work. A planner usually oversees the caterer, etc.
Lol, they honeymooned at "Kill Devil" Hills. I just saw the People article while at the checkout (nope, I didn't dare buy it). Omg, there is a pic of the cake which I hadn't seen...yikes! What happened? I guess a friend made it? Wow, looks like they slapped on the frosting trying to cover up some big screw-ups, attempted some kind of ribbon around the middle layer, which is crooked, and a heap of fresh flowers on top looks like it's weighing the whole thing down w/ the entire cake leaning and looking like the layers are melting into each other. I would be devastated if I made that and it turned up in an exclusive photo spread of a national mag. Maybe they should have had their cake friend Sierra help out...or not. Jill seems to be following in her bro's footsteps w/ her excitement of the day in what's for dinner. Also plenty of plugs for TLC & People. Keep the money train moving in full on Duggar-style.
Yes, at this point w/ the Duggar fam. making millions and Duggars the next generation assumed to pull in an additional cool six-figures, talk of "volunteers" is absolutely absurd. Seriously, even if these people did in fact "volunteer", JB should still be signing over checks. And why the suspense of sounding so stressed? They could have easily handed over cash to some place to "cater" all those cupcakes & cookies...maybe TLC didn't want to foot the bill or DC Cupcakes was too busy. And "country wedding"?...from the sounds of it, it comes across more as a carnival to me w/ root beer floats, cookies & pounds of popcorn. I bet TLC does in fact have an "in" over at NC, why else would it coincidentally be such a choice location for vacations on the shows? Maybe free honeymoon + pay for filming, advertising & their own paycheck? = Jill & Derick just got their own gravy train.
The first interview about the wedding I read, said that Jill had a friend that did the beautiful wedding cake. Maybe the one you saw was made by Anna. Remember when she decided to throw together, a 'Noah's Ark Cake," for Michael's fist birthday. She had someone come in & rescue her at the last minute & everybody in the family just raved about how beautiful it was. The Duggars get what they pay for!
Just because Jill had a beautiful gown & that really surprised a lot of us, it doesn't mean it was a "classy wedding." sounds like a bunch of friends baking, making popcorn (yes pounds of it),homemade wedding cake. Maybe the wedding planner & TLC wanted to portray it as top of the line, but Jim Bob's wallet is sewn shut. It would probably take a jack hammer to open it up
Did anybody look at Jill's pinterest page? Yes some things could have been executed better but from what I've seen in her pinterest she got the wedding SHE wanted and I say good for her. The wedding cake is called a messy cake which is popular on pinterest and I actually like it being lopsided and all. lol!
Cupcakes, cookies, rootbeer floats? It sounds more like a child's birthday party than a wedding reception. My sugar level rose just reading about the awful"food" they "provided", courtesy of the work of others. It would have been classy to hire a caterer and serve hot and cold appetizers and a real, decently baked and presented wedding cake. Who has soda floats at a wedding? Just as I thought, children getting married.
I was going to criticize the wedding cake baker, but thinking about it, I realized maybe the "friend" did a sloppy job on purpose. Maybe she though-let me do a lousy job on the cake and they will never ask me to do another cake again!
Weddings seem to be very cultural/regional. My husband and I went to an Evangelical wedding just a few months before our wedding 24 years ago. We were SHOCKED by how "basic" it was. Our own wedding was pretty average for our area, with a band, cocktail hour, full dinner, etc. I think it's just different people do it differently. I'm sure for the Duggars and their ilk, the wedding seemed perfectly lovely.
I think Jill's wedding theme was vintage,or the Old Days,or something like that.One pic showed antique bibles wrapped in lace,and lace at the end of the pews.So the root beer,popcorn,and messy cake make sense,in that respect. (at least somewhat). I would have thought Jill would have wanted something more formal,but as long as she was happy with it,that's all that counts.
When I think of Jill's wedding with all the "friends" volunteering for everything, from setting up tables & chairs, to all the baking for the reception, I remember one time Michelle said, they have a friend that always say's, "Jim Bob is so tight when he walks he squeaks." What a guy!
R: Anonymous' comment 7/1 @9:38 pm re: Jill being the main midwife for her sister's deliveries' in the future. She already stepped into that role with the birth of Anna's first 2 children. Of course,she hadn't started her training, when MacKenzie was born, but had started when Michael was born. You probably noticed that Anna chose a certified (perhaps licensed midwife) for her third delivery.
I suspect Anna didn't want to end up with another toilet birth,thus the midwife. Also,the lady that did her first 2 births (can't recall her name),her Dr. husb. was having some prof. problems,and they may not have wanted to assoc. with her any more.
Never have I seen the whole family dressed like the wedding attendants. Shows me that there is no separation between Jil, Derick and Jill's family. She is a woman of 23, he a man of 25. Just plain weird. she can't go shopping without someone with her as she never has and apparently is afraid to go anywhere alone. Derick WILL tire of the clan hanging around every day sooner or later. Jill has separation anxiety as she was not emotionally ready to marry, IMO.
I think (of course just my opinion, who really knows) that Jill and Erin Bates were afraid to leave their families. Alyssa wasn't. Good for her. I think Jill and Erin are afraid to disappoint their parents, pure and simple. In Jill's case there was probably some manipulation or carrot-dangling by JimBob. He probably encouraged the relationship with Derick because Derick lived nearby anyway. They are control freaks. Chad and Derick are sweethearts and probably think they are just giving their new brides some time to adjust, but it may be too late already (to consider moving very far). I also think Jill was probably made to feel guilty about leaving the "buddies". So sad.
On another subject, I just want to say that I give Anna and Erin credit for at least finishing the schools they started (Whitney may have also, not sure). Erin actually went to a campus for classes, even though its not accredited. She finished, got a "degree" (with honors) and is still giving piano lessons and playing at her church, according to her mom. Apparently they do not attend the same church as her parents. I think that's good. I wish Jill would at least give Derick's church a try. I am assuming Anna's "college" classes were online as I have never heard otherwise, but at least she did finish something. I only hope Jill will do the same.
If they were going for the 1920s look, the attendants should have been dressed in 1920s attire also. Fringe dresses just below the knee and sparkly headbands with strapped, high heeled shoes would have kept the look consistent and made a statement as to what the bride's intention was. None of them looked like they were in the same wedding party; only the color tied them in. Jill's dress then should have been 1920s vintage and would have looked elegant. She also did nothing with her hair for her wedding. I didn't recognize some of her sisters, don't know what they did to themselves.. The style of Mary Duggar's gown was elegant and suited her well; she should have had a different color to stand out as an honored grandmother. IMHO, just not well done. Who has kid-birthday party sweets at their wedding? Children do.
Re: I think that Jill and Erin Bates were afraid to leave their families.
I believe Kelly Bates hinted at this a bit, about Erin being "homesick" and needing more time to adjust. And, really, why wouldn't she or Jill? Almost everything they have done has been a part of the huge family unit, and it has to be disorienting to go from that situation, where your parents plan out everything, assign you chores and work, and pretty much call the shots, to one where it is just you and your husband in your own home.
That's why I disagreed with a previous commenter who felt the Duggar/stay-at-home model was better, because one is bringing less "baggage" or individual experiences into the marriage that could be hard to break. It's got to be hard to transition from dependent child to adult wife in one fell swoop.
Brown sandals and blue dresses with white on the bottom look awful. I recently got married. The girls of the bridal party wore a similar shade of blue but with pretty, sparkly silver sandals. Any kind of metallic look would be good or even summery white. The white on the bottom screams "these dresses are pretty but too short so we lengthened them because we're all about modesty."
Re: The white on the bottom screams "these dresses are pretty but too short so we lengthened them because we're all about modesty."
And you KNOW when the Duggars try to prove themselves modest, they end up drawing more attention to themselves than they would've if they had just gone the "normal" route.
I'm wondering if the wedding theme was all tlc's idea.Josh and Anna had a rather boring,traditional wedding after all.It seems every wedding since then has been either a bit fancier or a bit untraditional,starting with David and Priscilla's,and onto the Bates family.
On the Duggars blog it says that the guests at the wedding were banned from taking any photos. Since when has that been a wedding policy. A wedding is as much the guests day as the couples. It will always cost guests to attend a wedding in some shape or form. With travel expenses, buying gifts and kitting out yourselves with nice clothing and shoes to attend. Without guests there is no wedding. Just a formal legal necessity. If they wanted no one to photograph them, why not get married in secret. This has to be about money and who they sold the rights of photo exclusives to. The love of money is the root of all evil and you cannot serve two masters both God and money. Someone somewhere has to stand up and start telling the truth about this family. God have mercy on them all. I feel sorry for all those guests, that they asked to be there to make it look like they have a lot of friends, only to come away without a single photo memory of their own. I know of one family that drove all the way from Colorado. I wonder if they can claim expenses from TLC.
I have no doubt they signed a contract with probably People magazine for the rights to the photos. I find it hypocritical that this family claims they don't watch TV, but have no problem with accepting money to appear on a reality show. I just really hope that their is money being put in trust for the kids, but I wouldn't put it past Jimboob to have negotiated the contract and had all the money going to him.
I've read on a few other sites that photos from guests/public other than People were not to post photos of the wedding for 3 weeks. The 3 weeks ends this Saturday so we may see a whole lot of other photos this weekend.
Do they have to hold off on pictures until after Alyssa's wedding is shown on ABC - tomorrow night? I just wondered, because that will be exactly 3 weeks. People magazine came out 2 wks ago and the wedding on TLC won't be until the fall. What is the deal with 3 weeks?
I don't know the reasoning but, it seems that it was being honored. The Duggar blogspot has started to release some pictures though and looks like more is coming. I also read on another site that people there went to the wedding and that they had a lot to talk about the wedding but are also waiting for the 3 weeks to end. Stupid me forgot to bookmark the page and now am having a hard time finding it. I'm curious to read what they have to say.
It sounds like People mag wanted everyone to have a chance to buy this edition bf anyone could post any pics.(and bf the next edition come out).That's probably just to ensure maximum sales,imo.
From what I have seen at the checkout line in People magazine last week, the "Duggar spread" was a total let down. It was a jip. Glad I don't buy those mags. How rude of JB and Michelle to sell their daughter's wedding to People to make even more money. Aren't they greatful to TLC for the salaries they draw? They needed more? So classless of them to have done so. They act like "the Queen" got married.
In all fairness,it may have been Jill and Derick who sold out their wedding to People mag.Their wedding registry certainly didn't hold back on expensive items,and they may have wanted to money for their new start in life,and or to help with their honeymoon.jmo
Maybe it was Jill and Derick who sold out to People magazine, after all they are adults and it's their event. Jim Bob taught his kids "cheapness" very well. However, one can't help but continue to lump all the Duggars together as that's how they continue to live even after one of them marries. I, too, haven't seen much "leave and cleave" in either Josh OR Jill, as Michelle stated in an earlier interview on TV. I doubt we will "see" Jill interacting much with the Dillard side of the family, as she doesn't seem very interested in them. Has she gone over and helped her mother in law? If she did, I'm sure the cameras would have captured that one. Also, very selfish, childish and shallow of Michelle to continue to think of herself and not mention one syllable about concern and prayer for Derick's mother when speaking about the wedding. It's all about them all of the time. And I still think Michelle's dress sucked at that wedding...totally wrong, fabric, style, high added on neckline, and full jacket... the dress looked like aluminum foil and she was baking inside it.
The Duggars shop at Hobby Lobby and eat at Chick-Fil-A because they want to support businesses with the same values as their family. So why don't they buy a wedding dress and bridesmaid's dresses from a company that specializes in modest formal wear? The additions they made to the dresses to meet their modesty standards ranged from okay (Jill) to a hot mess (Michelle). Plus, they were giving money to manufacturers of "immodest" clothing. They could help a "godly" business really take off, make much less work for themselves and look much better. Tells me the choice of dresses and the modifications is really all for show.
Re Anonymous: I doubt we will "see" Jill interacting much with the Dillard side of the family, as she doesn't seem very interested in them. Has she gone over and helped her mother in law? If she did, I'm sure the cameras would have captured that one.
Derick's mom is battling cancer and why should TLC film while Jill is over visiting? Cathy may want to have privacy at home while recovering (I hope she is) and TLC is abiding her request. She however was able to attend the wedding ceremony and maybe she had a little camera time then.
I understand completely if Derick's mother would like some privacy while recovering from treatment. However, I still believe if Jill went over and visited her mother in law, or ran any errands for HIS family, it would have been mentioned in print or a photo of her accomplishing those tasks; sans a picture of Derick's mom. Jill would have noted the "credit" for helping out. No mention of the woman whatsoever, from Jill, OR Michelle even about concern, or how the woman is doing.
I think that by now, weeks after the wedding, TLC, People magazine and the Duggars are pulling the rope a bit too tightly. Interest is fading in seeing any photos, and by the time this event airs, it will be very old news. I, for one, and tired of waiting to see the "Princess Jill"'s wedding photos. I'm not caring too much anymore.
I'm also disappointed that more pictures of the wedding has not surfaced but guests were not allowed to take photos so maybe there are not many out there. I read somewhere that Chad (Paine?) assisted the photographer and that he will post photos on his blog when time permits. If I remember correctly TLC showed the proposal about two months later and got a high viewership so I expect the same when the Wedding is televised.
The dresses and shoes/sandals are the ugliest I have ever seen. It looks like a botched-up attempt to lengthen the dresses. Surely longer dresses were available? I would have thought that the attire for this "royal" wedding would have been simple, yet stunning. JMHO
I, too, think it's odd that there's been no mention of how Derick's mom is doing. I totally respect that they probably don't want a camera crew tramping all over the place as Derick's mom is going through treatment or resting and recovering at home, but knowing she was too ill to make the rehearsal dinner, I'm a little stunned that there's been no follow up information coming out of the Duggar/Dillard camp.
I guess Jill is too busy posting weekiversary posts. Which, by the way, is behavior more akin to a 14-year old who has her first boyfriend in middle school - oh my gosh, we've been together 3 weeks!!!! Jill + Derick 4ever!!!
Enough making fun...I do like both of them, and I hope that Jill keeps maturing and develops her own sense of who she is away from the Duggar compound and that they have a long and happy marriage that is based on deep respect for each other :)
With this "leave and cleave" thing, I wonder how often Anna speaks to her mother on the phone? Does anyone know? It seems that SHE abandoned her family in FL to be with Josh and his family. On the other hand, it seems that Derick, also has abandoned HIS family and has joined the Jill's family. I see posts of he and Jill living "a la Duggar" style...how can it work both ways, that a son and a daughter both have left THEIR families to cling to the Duggars? Derick screwed up in accepting the "free house" from JB...even if nearly free, the price will be "too high" in the longrun. I really don't think Jill can stand on her own two feet, for she has had absolutely NO experience in that area. Can she go to the grocery store alone yet? If she not terrified to do so?
Re: the wedding attire: sorry, but I still think Michelle looked like a stuffed potato baking in aluminum foil. Her body type was all wrong for that dress, she is way too top heavy, layered that get up to the hilt and stuffed herself in and re-wrapped herself in a long sleeve jacket in June in Arkansas; for an afternoon affair. Sorry, but Kelly Bates wore that dress better...I think their wedding was in the fall? Also, the gray color just died on Michelle. It also looked too tight. JMHO
I think it is just stupid that Michelle wore the same dress as Kelly. Was it the exact same dress or just one like it? Who are they trying to fool? We know Michelle could easily afford her own dress. SO not impressive. Yes, Michelle's did look different - stiff and not as pretty. Was it her idea or did JB refuse to give her money for a dress? If he did, why not get your own style? Just wonderin'.
I would never think that Derick has "abandoned" his family. Opinions are being based only on what is being seen. It's not like Derick is with the Duggar family 24/7. We're only seeing the times he is with them. He lives in the same town as his mom so I'm sure he and Jill visit but we just don't get to see it. This is the Duggar show so of course everything has to be about them.
I thought that Josh and Anna honeymooned in Florida, sleeping in the aquarium? Why was their honeymoon filmed and not Jill's? Thanks for this blog, I am glad others see through this family too.
Their honeymoon was filmed. It was included in the TV special about their wedding, I believe. I remember Josh taking the camera crew on a tour of the townhouse they rented. And they went para-sailing or something, and Anna gave another speech about Wholesomewear.
Josh and Anna honeymooned in Myrtle Beach, SC, if I remembered correctly. They hardly had any courting coverage because they weren't physically in the same place. It took place over the phone mostly, except for maybe 2 meetings. Then, their wedding and honeymoon was featured. Jill had the opposite, her courtship was covered on TV, but not her honeymoon, as the Duggars are more well know now then when Josh married.
We haven't seen the wedding yet-they probably filmed the honeymoon but will not be shown until the wedding is shown-sounds like the wedding may be the next season's finale-they are going to show the engagement time, shopping for the wedding dress, maybe the bridal showers,etc.
TLC is way too behind real time here. These short-lived "seasons" are only a few weeks long, then months off, premiere "new" episodes based on very old activities and news. They really need to step up the timeline and keep these episodes relevant.
Jill & Derick spent their honeymoon in North Carolina, the same as Josh & Anna did. I believe that TLC either owns or rents property there as the Gosslins went their for summer vacation 3 yrs. in a row. As far as Josh & Anna Sleeping at the aquarium, since they were at the ocean, I'm sure there was one there.
This blog is managed by a group of administrators who are all in ongoing contact with each other. To share your questions or concerns with us privately, please send your email to: Maggie at shatzie1980@yahoo.com or sharla.smith@live.com
1. Do not be rude to other posters or call them names.
2. No online petitions.
3. Do not be rude about the children or call them names. Commenting on the behaviour that we have seen is acceptable, but no name calling.
4. Do not refer to calling CPS or use the term child abuse unless we something that actually is abusive.
5. Watch profanity.
6. Don't tell the moderators how to run the blog.
7. Be careful about boards on boards and please don't discuss or provide links to other Duggar boards.
8. No diagnosing mental/medical conditions.
9. No posting addresses.
10. Along with not being rude don't tell other people how to think, act, or behave - don't try to tell other people what to do or not do.
11. No using the kids' names or moderators' as your screen name.
12. Comments including "I'm sure you won't print this" will never be printed.
13. No unsolicited recaps. We are not recapping the Duggar shows.
14. The administrators are not able to verify the identity of people who comment here. Believe what you choose to believe.
15. Please use proper grammar, spelling, capitalizations and punctuations in your comments. No instant message type speaking.
16. Please refrain from beating the dead horses such as Josh's years ago expressed interest in law school. If the Duggars have moved on, so should we.
441 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 201 – 400 of 441 Newer› Newest»Is it true that Derick's mom is very ill with, cancer? If so, perhaps, JimBob & Michelle should not be thinking of how they are "loosing a daughter," the family is subtracting etc. If they were the Christians they purport to be, they would be thinking & praying, for Derick's, mom, step-dad & brother. That's all there is to Derick's immediate family & this illness is far more important, than Jim Bob "tearing up," when he thinks about giving his daughter away. How can they continue to make everything about themselves when Derick's family is going through such a traumatic time?
That completely stinks! I wish hus mom all good things and hope shes up to going to wedding. Maybe that is why he rushed into getting married. I just feel awful for the family.
I didn't see cousin Amy in the bridal party either.
Congratulations Derick and Jill. May every day you will spend together bring you much happiness! May every moment of your new life become as blissful as possible!
Praying also for Derick's mom. May this lovely woman have the strength to join the new wedded couple on their special day.
Very sad new about Derick's mother. But you know Michelle is rejoicing in her heart. No spoiling for Jill and she and Jim Bob get to call the shots. Vile people.
The article also mentioned they are expecting TWO THOUSAND guest. Holy moley! Who exactly are they inviting?! No wonder their registry was filled with duplicates and things that are a bit nontraditional for a wedding. If they are expecting so many guests, it makes sense that they would need a very, very large registry.
First photo has been posted:
http://www.people.com/people/mobile/article/0,,20827652,00.html
From what I can see, it's a very beautiful dress.
Loved Jill's dress.Sleeveless with some neckline showing.
I read that his mom attended the wedding.Hope she recovers .
Laughing about Baptits and weddings.A friend's daughter got married at a recreation center so they could dance.
I just saw a pic of jill in her wedding dress...I was almost afraid to look but she looks beautiful, cap sleeves and v-neck!! I'm stunned!!!
Seen a few pictures of Jill's wedding dress on Facebook. It's all lace SLEEVELESS and gorgeous!
From the picture that you can see on People's website it looks like Jill's dress looks beautiful!
Oh, I meant to add, I'm not surprised Josh isn't in the wedding party -- doesn't Derick get to choose who he wants? And I bet, he did! :) Good for you Derick, 'cause your last name's NOT Duggar. :)
I'm praying for his mom, though. Cancer's an ugly thing...
Today's article quotes Jim Bob as saying,"I've been crying half the day, so I'm making jokes to keep from crying," Jim Bob told everyone at the couple's rehearsal dinner, where guests took turns sharing memories and advice for the couple."
I knew it. Tears for himself, no doubt, rather than for Jill and Derick's happiness, or empathy for Derick's ill mother which I was extremely saddened to read about today. My guess is that Jim Bob sobs on the stage when he gets to make his speech literally accepting the fact that his total control over his daughter has ended.
I guess we'll find out when the show hits the tube and breaks a viewing record. Jim Bob, just concentrate on rich Jill is making you.
I also read that Jill and Derick were hungry when they saw cereal on the website so they added it to their registry "and actually already got some." This makes me suspect of their humanitarian work because once you've worked with starving people living in poverty you do not flippantly asking for food for yourself when you have plenty. If anything, you suggest that people make donations to your favorite humanitarian organizations.
If Michelle and Jim Bob want to adopt children to replace the ones they're losing, there are thousands of child refugees sitting in less than ideal conditions near the southern border, and some of them are from El Salvador, one of the countries they visited on a show.
Although it shouldn't by now, their hypocrisy startles me over and over again. I just wish they would stay out of politics. Then I think I could actually enjoy them. The children, discounting Josh who is an adult, haven't done anything wrong. They're just products of their environment and are generally sweet.
Re: "She and Jim Bob get to call the shots."
Oh, that was evident at the "greet Derrick at the airport" fiasco. Ten million Duggars front and center, with their signs and bulk. And, I'm sorry, but even though Jill and Derrick were officially courting at that stage, she should have allowed Derrick's stepfather and brother to be front and center. She's only known Derrick for a little while, and it was all about her, her, her. I get it that they are "in love" and an official couple at that point, but if she were my daughter, I would've talked to her about using some discretion and being sensitive to the feelings of Derrick's family.
Michelle has taught Jill the "Duggars are the center of the universe" concept quite well.
I am sorry Derrick's mom is sick. I hope she gets well soon.
Jill Duggar wore a beautiful, sleeveless wedding dress!
http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-married-derick-dillard-19-kids-and-counting
W/Pic!
Full picture of Jill in her wedding dress. Gorgeous gown and a beautiful bride.
http://www.eonline.com/news/553213/jill-duggar-weds-derick-dillard-19-kids-and-counting-star-says-i-do
So happy Cathy, Derick's mom, was able to attend the wedding. I'm thinking it was best she didn't attend the rehearsal so that she would have enough energy to attend the ceremony. Wishing her the best and hoping for a full recovery so that she will be able to spoil Jill as well as future grandbabies.
Wampascat, you took the words right out of my mouth, re Michelle, rejoicing in her heart. Yep, this puts Michelle right back in charge where she wants to be. Enough to make you sick. I feel so bad for Derick's mom, & the whole family.
Her dress isn't entirely sleeveless... the style is called capped sleeves. Certainly more typical than the short-sleeve modest type of wedding dress, like the one Anna wore. You can't even really tell that Jill is trying to be modest. It looks very normal and beautiful. But it does have sleeves because the Duggars don't do sleeveless. This is probably the least amount she could get away with..
For now I will remain optimistic that Derick's mom responds well to treatment and makes a full recovery so that she can spoil Jill to her heart's content. Jill is now part of another family and Derick has "authority" so Michelle has to realize that Jill's life does not now revolve only to her ideology.
I understand that a church wedding is not an official closed event; as anyone can enter a church and watch the ceremony under most circumstances, but the wedding reception is usually invitation only. Soo, I doubt 1,000 onlookers attended the reception. It would be impossible to have the space for that; you'd need a football field.
I think Jill could have done worse in a wedding dress, it was a nice surprise to see her in this one. However, I think it was a bit maronly looking; the rouching at the waist looked patched and might have been for an older, more chunky bride, also it looked a bit heavy for June in the south. But, it was a pretty dress and I'm glad her neckline and sleeves were NOT t-shirt like. I wish she would have cut off 6 inches in her hair; it looked rather stringy; she could have had a better style; as it had no hairstyle to it. I would like to see the attendants pictures and especially HER parents.
So, so happy the Derick's mother felt well enough to attend her son's wedding. All the best, to you, Cathy, in your full recovery; Jill and Derick need you! You can do it.
Jill's dress and veil are gorgeous! What a beautiful dress, I thought for sure she would be in a weirdly altered dress like Michelle's. I liked the flowers too.
I have to give credit where credit is due. Jill looks gorgeous - I love the veil and how it compliments the dress. I hope she and Derick had a joyous day and that JimBob wasn't a big cheeseball master of ceremonies who spouted off phrases like, "living to a higher standard" regarding Jill's first kiss.
The ruching wasn't added. It was part of the original dress. It's currently one of the "in" things for decoration on wedding dresses. I thought the dress was current and fashionable and one of the best of the recent fundie brides. I was surprised and impressed she went along with Alyssa Bates Webster with the tiny cap sleeves.
According to People.com Michelle's original wedding dress was on display at the reception along side Derick's father's police uniform. While I can understand his father's uniform as a tribute due to him being deceased, I can't understand Michelle's dress. Why in the hell does her dress have to be there?! This day is not about you Michelle! It's Jill and Derick's day. The article stated some fluff about the dress symbolizing the importance of marriage. We get it, marriage is important, hints the wedding the 1,000 plus people attended. There is no need for Momma's "look at me" moment. Jill was beautiful by the way. Can't wait to see the wedding party pictures.
I completely agree with you, Mom in Texas...Michelle just can't seem to stay out of the spotlight in any given situation. I was really disgusted with her during the proposal episode just as Jill and Derick came to the house to officially announce that they were engaged. As soon as they walked in the door Michelle had to make some very loud comment that "I see hands being held" before they could say anything. What was supposed to be a big moment for the newly engaged couple was taken away because Michelle had to jump the gun and steal their thunder. I know most of this is staged and rehearsed and the family knew the engagement was coming, but it just so annoying to see Michelle who just can't keep her mouth shut get all the attention. Displaying your old wedding dress at your daughter's wedding reception is in very bad taste.
Not to change the subject from Dericks Mom but what the heck was Michelles wedding dress hanging up in the church on display for. I know they had Dericks Dads police uniform but come on. Michelles wedding dress. Michelle always makes it about her doesn't she. Her and Jim Boob are some sick weirdos. That is just creepy that she had her wedding gown hanging next to Dericks Dads uniform. I can't even imagine what Dericks mother thought about that but then the poor woman is so ill she probably didn't care.
I absolutely cannot believe that they had Michelle's original gown on display at the wedding. If it was so sentimental why did she need a "new dress," for the vow renewal ceremony? My daughter wanted to represent her family's
continuity also. She had a wedding picture of, my husband & me, her in- laws, grandparents on each side of the family .A picture was fine, more than enough & it was her idea.. Nobody dragged their old wedding gown to her wedding.
I hope Derrick's mom is o.k. According to the People article mom cam straight from the hospital to the wedding ceremony. I hope they had a wonderful day, and our thoughts and prayers are with them.
So sweet. Not their first kiss but.........
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/jill-duggar-marries-derick-dillard-article-1.1839503
How can they continue to make everything about themselves? It's the Jimboob and Michelle show. On another site they showed Michelle's wedding dress and one of Derrick's late father's police shirts on display at the reception. Just goes to show that Michelle always want the full attention on her.
I couldn't believe it when I saw that Michelle's wedding dress was on display. WHAT. THE. HE**! The tribute to Derick's father was great but what was that dress a tribute to? Hey, get married, become a walking uterus, surrender what tiny brainpower you have left to your husband, and pretend to be all holier-than-thou. Someday you can have a boatload of kids - most who haven't really seen you since they quit nursing!
Anonymous:Alberta Rose's comment: The rehearsal proposal,was filmed by agreement with Duggars & TLC. If the mock proposal to Michelle seemed incestuous to you, talk to Michelle, she was loving it and all the attention. The whole mock proposal was just ridiculous, but it was exactly, a "Duggar Show," all the way.
I firmly agree with "This is how we live our life". I have stated many times "Take the best, leave the rest" of the Duggar way of life. Mock marriage proposals might be THEIR way of life but it is definitely NOT EVER going to be something I will teach my son nor will I encourage it among the young adults I know.
I couldn't believe Michelle's old wedding gown hanging there, please. I could definitely understand the significance of Derick's Dad's uniform, very touching, but Michelle's gown made no sense. Come to think of it, I am more surprised Michelle didn't wear the dress and veil, she would have really gotten a lot of attention then.
Another pic of the happy couple!
http://www.newsoxy.com/entertainment/jill-duggar-derrick-dillard-married-163217.html
MD's wedding dress on display...um..weird.
Here's the People article with pic of Derrick carring Jill and MD's dress.
http://www.people.com/article/jill-duggar-derick-dillard-19-kids-and-counting-wedding-reception?hootPostID=35adaad52175b38d29b455eb3a5ff8b4
I have stated many times "Take the best, leave the rest" of the Duggar way of life.
I can go there. The issue for me is that there is very, very little best. I live debt free and taught my children the same except for college loans and mortgages. I'm also a Christian but definitely not a cult Christian. I think it ends there. I actually brought up my own children. They are educated and employed with almost all of them having their own families. I know them and accept them for who they are. I don't try to control adults.
Don't give her any ideas! Maybe she will wear it to Jessa and Ben's wedding.
Ok, so I must admit I am pleasantly surprised at what I've seen of the wedding so far. Everything just looked very classic & well thought out. Derick & Jill appeared like a normal bride & groom, as in no weird vibes like Josh & Anna, David & Priscilla, etc. (even though we haven't actually seen the first kiss, I'm almost 100% confident no one had to be subjected to a dive-in & suck-face display...yuck)
I loved the getaway car (vintage truck) decorated so sweet & "wedding-like" (no shrink wrap or trash bags). The guys grey suits were classic & very fitting for the season, with the summer-peach flowers a really nice compliment.
Jill's dress was much prettier than I expected, however I thought it looked a bit old for her, maybe more fitting for a 30-something. I also didn't care for the ruching, esp. on Jill who I think has a pretty nice figure. Her veil complimented the dress very nicely. It looked really similar to Alyssa Bates, but I didn't really like it w/ Alyssa's style of dress. Her hair definitely could've been more polished and honestly I've seen it look 10 times better on any given day. I thought a half-up, half-down style w/ a low profile beaded clip would have been the way to go. Her eyebrow pencil was pretty dark, even if only for photos, something about it just looked a little off. All in all, very pretty, and thank goodness, no t-shirt style.
Apparently Josh was the emcee of the whole event (ugh) & I can only imagine what kind of speech JB came up with. Michelle's dress on display? Seriously? egads. I haven't seen any pics of what she was actually wearing as the mother of the bride. Maybe (hopefully) Jill picked it out for her.
So from what I've read I'm assuming the following: no social media allowed?...exclusive first pic rights to People?...exclusive live filming/video to TLC?...
All in the name of ministry...
oh, and a bit of cash...
This is what I'd like to hear The Duggars "explain" on their next Q&A.
I agree with you Alberta Rose, but you were the one that said it seemed incestuous to you & you couldn't watch. I only said they filmed it because TLC & the Duggars wanted it that way.
Being at almost 80 years old, I have been to my fair share of weddings; some small, some large, some at little county churches, some at cathedrals. Outdoor receptions, over the top ones,in huge venues. So many different ways to honor a beloved family members, I can't remember all of them. But, never, never, have I seen a mother of the bride, have her wedding dress on display at her daughters wedding. What a disgrace! Michelle Duggar should be ashamed of herself, but I'm sure she isn't!
I hope & pray for Derick's mom to make a full recovery. I also hope, that Jill will totally devote her time, when Derick is at work to being at her new mother-in-laws side. She needs Jill & Derick now & Jill has done for the Duggars all her life. Although, I normally wouldn't say, a new bride should devote herself to her mil, this is an exception & the right thing to do.
I was disgusted to see Michelle's wedding dress in that photo. My question to her that I want answered is, why? I think that there would not be such an uproar if she had displayed something of her mother or of her sister that passed away recently. This by far has to be the most tacky thing I've seen any mother do at her child's wedding.
As for Derick's mother, I hope she has a speedy recovery and can be a good role model to Jill.
Derick seems like he loves Jill. I really question if Jim Bob played matchmaker. Just a feeling.
Wampascat, you took the words right out of my mouth i just hope and pray that Derick mom will be OK Michelle wants to be Number 1 , Ann left her family and came and lived with Josh and i hope they have a great life together , but to wait till your married to spend time together is sad
I didn't find Jill's dress too mature for her at all. It's one of the most youthful fundie dresses we've seen lately. Ruching is currently trendy and is seen on a lot of the wedding dresses. It isn't old lady any more.
Anyone else find it odd the Duggars can just turn up at a church and hold an event? We all know they "home church" whatever that means but for weddings and funerals they head to the local baptist church to use their facilities? Jill's event looks like it was held in a nice place but not sure what connection the Duggar's have to it. Maybe Derick's family are members?
RE: Alberta Rose's comment, that the mock proposal is not something she would teach her son, or encourage among young people. I don't really think it's something you will need to concern yourself about or "hide" from your son or others. I believe this is the very first time most of us have ever heard of "mock rehearsal," for a proposal. I sill maintain it was a set up by TLC. Derick was going to do whatever was required of him until the wedding was over.
As usual, the Duggars served up plenty of food for their guests...300 cupcakes for 1,000 guests. I guess it's easy to divide up a cupcake to serve more than one person!
I hope Derick's mother gets better soon. She seemed to be a very nice lady and I was hoping Jill and her would be close. She wanted to spoil Jill, I loved that! Michelle sure hasn't spoiled Jill, I bet ms. Dillard feels sorry for Jill.
In one of the interviews linked above, 15 yr old Jeremiah says he wished there would have been more pranks.
Pranks. At a wedding. Something these people harp on and on about being so sacred. Pranks! Ugh. They make me sick.
As usual, the Duggars served up plenty of food for their guests...300 cupcakes for 1,000 guests. I guess it's easy to divide up a cupcake to serve more than one person!
---
They also had 3,000 root beer floats and 3,000 cookies (more than enough for 1 each). They may have had other treats, like brownies, rather than just having one type of treat per person. A lot of modern weddings have dessert buffets rather than just one cake for all people to have. But the article doesn't go into detail about everything that was served.
Anyone else find it odd the Duggars can just turn up at a church and hold an event? We all know they "home church" whatever that means but for weddings and funerals they head to the local baptist church to use their facilities? Jill's event looks like it was held in a nice place but not sure what connection the Duggar's have to it. Maybe Derick's family are members?
--
There are plenty of churches that will allow you to rent space for weddings or other such events. My cousin got married in a church she and her now-husband didn't attend, mainly because they wanted to have a church wedding but aren't particularly religious. The Duggars obviously needed a space large enough to hold them, and have it be religiously significant, so they chose a church to rent from. But plenty of churches do the same thing, and will even officiate the wedding if you do premarital counseling through them. Hardly weird.
Well; Thank goodness Jill is out of there!! I am happy for the couple. Michelle shouldn't have had here wedding dress there. Michelle is all about herself.
But from the pictures; It seem Jill and Derek had a great day.
I hope Derick's Mother gets well soon. I want her to enjoy her Daughter-In-Law. And Jill to enjoy her Mother-In-Law!!!
Jill is FREE FROM DUGGAR LAND!!!!
Re: Anonymous 6/23/2014 9:46 AM: 300 cupcakes for 1,000 guests.
According to People magazine 600 cupcakes, 3,000 chocolate chip cookies and 3,000 root beer floats. Plus the wedding cake and I think other cakes.
When Michelle writes her next "parentable article," I hope she devotes it to Derick's mom, & requests prayers for Derick's family. They wanted everyone on board to pray for them, with the loss of Jubilee. I'm sure, they won't acknowledge what a difficult time this is for, Derick & his new wife, & the rest of his family. But, it will be all about how they miss Jill, & what a loss it is to their family not to have Jill in the home anymore. Please, show some of that "Christian Charity," you brag about & think of someone else, beside your immediate family. Derick is your first son-in- law & you should show compassion for what he is going through with his mom. She seems like a wonderful person. It just kills me, to think that Michelle might, be rejoicing in this tragic turn of events, that Derick &, his entire family(of which Jill is now a member) are facing.
Looks like they got the ipad, bike (women's) & gun safe.
I'm not sure, & maybe someone on the blog would know, but I was thinking, that might have been the church where Jubilees funerl was held. We know it held at least a thousand people for the funeral. Of course, it could be a church Derick's family is affiliated with, but the name of the church sounded familiar to me
Has anyone seen the recent images on Jill and Derrick's fan page on Facebook? They look like they could possibly be taken be paparazzi. There is one of Jill getting into a possible police car and Derick has his hand on her head. It looks very odd. Another one she looks like she is trying to lay down in the back of said car. Another one of them kissing in their getaway car. On fb just search for Jill and Derick fan page not their official fb account.
Anonymous said: There is one of Jill getting into a possible police car and Derick has his hand on her head. It looks very odd.
The one with his hand on her head was to help prevent her from bumping her head while she gets in and the other was supposedly all in fun. At least that is what pretty much was written under each picture.
Best quote regarding the wedding: "It really hit me that Jill was leaving as she was packing her bag the other night," Jim Bob tells PEOPLE.
23 years old and all of your worldly goods can fit into one bag?
No one said all her worldly goods fit in one bag. She probably moved most things to the new house a few days before the wedding and had cosmetics and necessities for the wedding to take to the hotel where she and the ladies of the wedding party spent the night before the wedding.
I wouldn't be surprised to see an early pregnancy. Derrick might want his mom to see her first grandchild if her time is short. Let's pray for a long healthy life for her.
Well, when you think about it, all her clothing was in a shared closet. Who knows how much she took? Other than toiletries and Bible, she probably didn't have much to call her own. A suitcase and her harp and she could be outta there!
The reason Jill's wedding was so classy is probably because they had a wedding coordinator. On one of the videos just after they got engaged, Jill said they had to go and meet with one.
I was also surprised at how well coordinated the colors, flowers and dress were. I wonder if TLC encouraged that.
I saw pictures of Jill's gown and I thought it was lovely...little cap sleeves and a modest V neck. I usually don't like lace on gowns but I though hers was very pretty. Fingertip veil. Derick wore a grey tux and looked nice. I am not a fan of the "I haven't shaved in 3 days" look, but apparently Jill likes it and that's all that matters. I wish them well. They should try and get as far from the Duggar compound as possible--back to Nepal, maybe! There were a lot of pictures on the website of the British newspaper the Daily Mail.
The cop car may have been from his late father's buddies.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Derick-and-Jill-Dillard-Fans/819445818083688?ref=nf
I wonder if the girls are scared when they get married. Daddy finds a man for them. Then they start courting, get engaged and get married withing months. They are constantly chaperoned texting, on the phone, Skyping and going on dates. There first kiss is front of hundreds of people while it is being filmed for the show. Then it's off to the wedding night with Michelle's words of wisdom about never saying no to your husband no matter what in their heads. They are then alone for the first time ever without having to have someone with them for accountability. Then there is the pressure to get pregnant as soon as possible. Anna was devastated that she wasn't pregnant within weeks of getting married. They don't have time to even get to really know each other. Maybe Jimboob and Michelle give there kids cases of EPTs for wedding gifts.
hello said: I wonder if the girls are scared when they get married.
_____________________________
You raised some great points. I never truly thought about the situation these girls are put into. You go from living under your parents thumb,slaving away raising siblings, to being an adult (though legally they've been adults for years) overnight. An adult with adult responsibilities and expectations such as birthing children every 10 to 12 months and submitting to your husband's every whim. When are these girls lives ever their own? Never. They are born and raised to be submissive mothers, nothing more. Of all the girls, Jill seems to be the one who most bought into what Jim Bob and Michelle were selling so she may find the transition into this life (presuming she and Derick stay the course) easy. But I wonder how some of the other girls will fare if they never get to live their own lives. The pressure can be devastating. Seeing Jill and Derick's wedding photos shows they really couldn't wait to be together and kiss and front hug, but are they really prepared for life together? I wish them all the luck. Hopefully because Derick has been allowed to have a normal adulthood, Jill will be okay.
Was Mr. Gothard present at the wedding? Just curious.
I think Michelle's dress was part of the vintage decor and it looked nice. Also, there was tons of extra cake, cut on plates.
I think everyone looks very nice in the wedding photos we have seen thus far. I cannot imagine having 1000 guests to plan for at a wedding, so have to believe they had a lot of help.
What I wonder is as the other Duggars get married down the line, whether they will get as many gifts or as big a ceremony. Sometimes it helps to be first in line---well, second, in this case---but first among the daughters... Kind of like the oldest have tons of baby pictures, then they start diminishing as the parents get busier with more children.
How many guests did Josh and Anna have? I feel like their wedding was a lot smaller. I wonder if the Duggars open up their wedding ceremonies to more fans and people now that they are more famous. I read an article that the woman who owns the bridal shop where Jill got her dress came to the wedding. The woman lives in Virginia! We invited a couple hundred people to our wedding, but I can't imagine inviting someone I just met like a shop owner. So weird... They must have had a lot of donations because huge weddings are not cheap!
Jill got her dress from Fredericksburg. At first she didn't want lace but was encouraged to try different styles and ended up with a lace dress anyway, which I thought was gorgeous on her.
http://news.fredericksburg.com/newsdesk/2014/06/25/jill-duggar-of-tlcs-19-kids-counting-bought-her-wedding-dress-in-fredericksburg/
The reason Jill's wedding looked so classy is probably because they had a wedding coordinator. In one of the videos filmed after they were engaged, Jill mentions that they need to meet with one. I wonder if TLC encouraged that.
I'll bet they got a discount on the wedding dress in exchange for free publicity too.
There is a photo posted but a fan on Jill and Derick's fan page on Facebook of their first kiss! Of course Jim Bob is standing there with his goofy grin. I feel like I have seen the pastor on an episode before.
I wonder if Jill even knew, or completely understood, the process of sex. Seriously, how much are they aware?
A midwife apprentice probably has a pretty good education in sexual functions.
Based on the info given by the bridal shop in the above article, I think this was Jill's dress before alterations:
http://www.allurebridals.com/products/2569
I might be wrong, but I looked through all the dresses in their collection and I think this is it.
Okay, Jill looks gorgeous. And the color of the bridesmaids dresses is nice. But the style? Wow. Horrible. The slips under the girls' dresses to make them longer just make it look like the slip is showing. Why couldn't they just wear longer dresses instead of putting that stupid modesty shield or whatever it is. Yuck yuck yuck. Okay, now I'm disappointed.
Also: Anna doesn't look pregnant in the slightest. I think the photo of her sitting down was just enhancing her stomach. Either that or she's barely along because she isn't showing at all in that dress.
Can't really tell what color Michelle is wearing, but it seems pretty close to the gray in the suits.... which makes her blend in. Probably not really her favorite look since she wants to be the center of attention. Kodos to the wedding coordinator for making sure the attention was on Jill. However, the style of dress didn't really flattor Anna or Mary.
Except for that, everyone looks great.
Anonymous said: I think this was Jill's dress before alterations:
That is the dress. I think the seamstress did a good job building it up with lace to make it modest.
Regarding the family wedding picture. I do like the bridesmaid dresses but I don't care for the white at the bottom. I think a contrasting color or even a subtle print would have looked much nicer. That's my opinion but, if they were happy with it then that is what matters more.
I just saw a photo of the bridal party. What in the world is the white fabric hanging down from under the girls dresses? It looks like each of them have a slip that is falling down about 10 inches under the dress? Otherwise, the dress would be ok.
Yikes! I hadn't seen the bridal party dresses, etc. & now I know why. After thinking everything seemed so classic & nicely put together, I knew there had to be a catch. Are those brown belts on the dresses, to match brown shoes they're wearing? Oh wow, Anna's shoes look hideous. Grandma is in matching with the teal/turquoise color, and Michelle wearing...grey? Newsboy caps for the ringbearers and...well, I don't know except I can see why this pic wasn't released with the first batch.
Sorry, the color of the girl's dresses are the only thing nice I can say about their dresses. They just plain ugly, IMO. Jim Bob is attired like he is a groomsman, and the younger boys look like 1920s "rum runners". Dressing her entire family in the bridal party colors just shows how Jill can't separate herself from her parents and siblings. Not a good sign of things to come, IMO. The very little girls look nice. Can't see Queen Michelle's dress, wonder why she didn't just wear her old bridal gown and get it over with. We all know she wanted the maximum attention. Such a fashion disaster...
Michelle's dress looks kind of lavender to me. For the bridesmaids dresses, could not they not find longer dresses? Those girls sew, they could have made their own, too. I wonder about the brown shoes. White would have been more summery. Maybe for shoes they just decided to go with what they had. My grandmother went to a wedding where the bride didn't want the bridesmaids to have to buy a pair of shoes to wear once so they all had their toenails painted to match their dresses. They had long dresses and it looked fine at the wedding as you could barely see their feet, anyway. However, no one thought about the reception and dance! Well, long dresses and white or silver shoes would worked, I think. But it's a pretty color and everyone looks happy. I love Grandma's dress. Matching the bridesmaids is a little weird but the it does look great on her.
Sorry, I may be in the minority here, but I HATE the teal. Teal can be a pretty color, but the way its done here, it looks like bad 80's prom. The bridesmaid dress style is also weird with the extra fabric.
Having said that, Grandma looks fresh as a daisy and is outshining her daughter-in-law. Take that, Michelle! And, of course, the young girls are crawling all over the place - but their dresses are cute.
So sheet looking at the possible before alterations dress I have to say, I love it a lot more WITH the alterations. It's much more classy and stylish the way Jill had it I think.
The shoes are HIDEOUS! White ballet flats from Payless would've been so cute... and cheap.
I actually love the colors together. The teal is beautiful. But I am not a fan of the bridesmaids dresses. They look understated considering how elegant Jill and the decor looked. However, it was Jill and Derick's day so if they were happy, then that's all that matters.
I am not sure where this 'Anna is pregnant" speculation is coming from because personally she looks slimmer than normal in this photo. Granted, it's the only one I've seen of her. I think it's kind of sad that she is on perpetual pregnancy watch. Although it seems to be her family's obsession as well, others have her on pregnancy watch every time she gets a little bloated. She isn't the only woman on Earth to be pregnant, ever. With Anna's potential to be pregnant many more times how long will this go on?
Okay, this is one of the things that drives me nuts about the Duggars. They are all about things being better in the old days, thus the courting, modest dress, saying "expecting", etc. Well, guess what? It's rude for men and boys to wear hats indoors. Fifty years ago people would have yanked those hats off the boys in a church. The Duggars follow the better, more godly, old-fashioned rules except when it doesn't suit them.
I also think the bridesmaids dresses look like everyone's slip has fallen down. Why didn't they just wear a dress that was a little longer but the same color? You don't change color at that point in the dress. I've never seen a bridesmaids dress that was a solid color until the bottom of the dress, then became about 6-8 inches of either cream or white color. Definitely looked like every ones slip was showing about 6-8 inches. Also, "tea length," dresses are very popular in my area, as they are not floor length, but come to just below the calf of the leg & look very nice, they certainly are modest. Sometimes girls do wear the dress too long or too short. Couldn't tell from the picture, about Michelle's dress, but of course, she did have her hair that same horrible crunchy-bushy style. Why couldn't she have pulled it back or done something with it just for that day? Michelle's hair, never even looks like it's been brushed or combed. Kelly Bates' hair looked nice at the Bates family weddings.
Just noticed that in the family picture, Michelle's hair is actually covering her corsage. Grandma has her hair pushed back a little & you can see her corsage fine
For some reason, although I thought Jill looked gorgeous & give credit where credit is due for her gown, (but not the bridesmaids,) I believe the comment heard most often that day, by the father of the bride was indeed; Michelle, you look sooooooooooo beautiful!!
Guess I just have to comment on the wedding pics so far. I'm sorry, but I wonder what kind of wedding planner they had. Did Jill over-rule the planner? I mean, the shoes, really?? What a shame for a seemingly formal church wedding. The colors were cute but not carried out well IMO. The dresses were cute on her Pinterest but somehow they didn't transfer the same at her wedding. It looks like the white "slip" part was too big, don't you think? I am partial to the longer dresses for the girls, but it was summer and it was the afternoon I believe. I thought the boys in suspenders were kind of cute. I didn't care for the canopy - too big - and not many flowers that I could see. The colors were much prettier than Alyssa's though (sorry, JMO). Can't please everyone. I think Erin and Anna had the best dresses/pictures so far. Jill was absolutely beautiful, however, and I loved the gray that the guys wore. Just really nice. I also agree Grandma was beautiful. One more comment - WHY can't the fundies get a formal picture without one or more of the little ones acting up? Is it just impossible? That really bugs me for some reason. O.K., I'm done. Love J&D and hope they are having a wonderful honeymoon.
In the picture of the wedding party, grandma's dress goes all the way to her shoes, in the teal color with a little ruffle effect at the bottom above her shoes. Why in the world did the bridesmaids look like their slips were falling down? They had a teal ruffle above that white fabric, why not continue with a teal ruffle to the knee, or even below if needed for modesty sake.
You know I have to wonder just how many of the Duggars' friends stepped up to the plate for Jill's wedding, & offered their 3 T's. That would be their ;Time, Talent & Treasure. Anything they ever do there is always a; "dear friend," there that wants to help. When Josh & Anna were getting married, the entire church did that wedding. Mr Keller was not the pastor there, it was because it involved the "Duggar Family." Women of the church did the flowers, decorated the church, did all the food. Josh himself said it would have cost a fortune for their families to provide all that. I remember the ladies from the church showing them pictures of the cake, they could do for them. It was a modest cake & they said they could supplement with, sheet cake. However, Josh & Anna selected a huge cake with many, many, other side layer cakes, all beautifully decorated with little bridges connecting them to the main cake. When they were in Little Rock, when Josie was born, before they rented a home, they had a "dear friend," that gave them their home to use over the Christmas holidays, completely decorated with a beautiful tree. They had the people from, "Friendly Chapel, first help them move in & then move out of the house they rented. They walked out & left those people to clean everything. No big donation to the church & we would have seen that, they just help out yearly with he annual "fish fry," collecting trash etc. They have friends that give the kids music lessons, tutor them in Spanish. When they were giving their testimony at one church, they stayed with friends they didn't know. We knew this as, they didn't know their names, or how many children they had. These people had a "friend" that had a place on the lake, so they could all go water skiing, jet skiing. wakeboarding, etc. Friends that come over for diner, bring the dinner, i.e. the family that then took Jim Bob & Jinger turkey hunting. Steve, the trainer for the weight loss challenge, was also a friend. There is so much more, I can't mention all of it, but you better believe they had many, many, "friends," involved on this wedding!
The first thing I thought of when I saw the bridesmaids dresses was that I wondered how many Salvation Armies did they have to go to to find the matching dresses. Couldn't they have at least gotten something decent? It looked so Hicksville with those awful shoes. Thought Mary Duggar outshone everyone.
The first picture I saw of Jill's dress I thought it was a strapless dress with some heavy lace added in the front and back. The dress itself made her look kind of thick between her waist and her bust. It didn't look like it was altered to her body correctly. Who knows. Maybe fundies aren't allowed to have their wedding dresses fitted to their bodies. I also wondered if this was the first new item of clothing Jill ever had.
On the positive side, much luck and love to Jill and Derick. They both deserve it.
BTW, does anyone know if Jill and Derick had a professional photographer at their wedding? I hope we get to see some of the "posed" pics, like the ones that Kelly Bates puts on her blog. They are always really nice and you get a good idea of the wedding. I hope Jill can post a few like that. I am anxiously awaiting for Alyssa's to come out and hopefully Jill's as well.
RE: Michelle's, old/original dress at the wedding. Even if, God Forbid, I had passed away before my daughter's wedding, I think at the very most, just a picture of the late mother of the bride, would be sufficient. I have seen this done in the past, & the picture is often place along by the guest book. It's a nice tribute, to a mother that can no longer be there, for her daughter's big day. Nobody with an ounce of sense, drags their old wedding dress to their daughter's wedding. Didn't we all know that Michelle would find a way to get her oar in the water at this wedding?
I am surprised they used that picture. Micjelle's smile looks forced and the little one in front, has her dress hiked up, with one shoe on and one shoe off.
I agree with Ginger. I'll bet not much came out of Jim Bob's wallet for the wedding. I also, remember how those wonderful, people from the "Friendly Chapel" were treated. They really worked so hard cleaning that house as the Duggars were leaving. I think now, it's just whoever can make it from the Duggar family,will go to the "Fish Fry," fund raiser. All the Duggars are not always available for that.
Am I allowed to say that I'm not nuts about the shade of blue she chose?
On facebook-Derick and Jill fans-there ia a collage of pictures-if you open one of the pictures and advance there is a picture of the bridesmaids and Jill-the dresses and shoes look worse up close-they are lace and the white part is also lace-Jill must really had her head in the clouds not to see how bad those dresses and shoes were. This wedding was filmed and there are going to be pictures in People magazine-Anna's bridesmaids dresses were so much better and she made them.
I actually don't mind the shoes. The brown matches their belts. My bridesmaids had different styles of black sandals they wore for my wedding and I thought it was fine. To each their own, of course. I did see an outside photo of the bridesmaids and their dresses are much lighter than in this photo. I think it was the lighting that makes it look not as good. It's actually more of a pastel teal and it's quite pretty IMO. And the previous commenter is right, the white part is part of the dress, has the same pattern lace and everything. Just a weird design.
Re: Jac&Jill's comments. I certainly agree, that they shopped at the Salvation Army Store for those dress & shoes. As for the belts, believe it or not I didn't notice the belts, until I read the comments on the blog. I attended a wedding where the bridesmaids had really beautiful dresses. They purchased them at TJ MAXX, and yes they had to call around to several stores to get the number & sizes needed but they only paid; $19.99 each. They were certainly worth the money. The girls looked lovely & years later we are all saying how nice they looked.
I'm assuming at this point they were going for an overall vintage theme and I think the bridesmaid dresses might have been trying to be some kind of a vintage look. But then again, the color certainly not and those weird belts. I don't care for the teal either and actually that's when I thought 'yikes!' when I first saw the pic. Someone commented 80s prom & that's also what I thought, esp. w/ the matching teal ties. I didn't like how JB was dressed the same as all the groomsmen. The newsboy hats & suspenders were going for the vintage look again I think.
I thought I remember reading somewhere that Michelle's wedding dress was actually Grandma's dress when she got married & Grandma let her wear it because Michelle, JB & the whole family had no money. I also think I read that pretty much everything at Michelle & JB's wedding was donated by family & friends like the cake, etc. Anyway, if they displayed the dress as some sort of an ode to generations & vintage I can kind of see that, but displaying it next to Derick's late father's police shirt (which I did like that idea) still seemed just a bit too odd.
Re; Mom in Texas comments about Anna being on a perpetual "pregnancy watch." I think the blame for that, can be placed directly on Anna. When the Duggar girls came to visit Josh & Anna in DC, the first time, they brought some baby clothes that Josie had outgrown. Marcus was indeed, really an infant, but Anna made the comment that she already had "baby fever," again. When a woman has a baby that's only a few weeks old & she starts telling the world (via TV)that's she's having "baby fever" again, you can't blame people for having a baby watch.
Re; Tulips comments about Michelle wearing her mother-in- law's dress at her original wedding. Yes, that's true. We know this, as they made a big deal about Michelle not having her own wedding dress, when they celebrated their 25th anniversary with a vow renewal ceremony. Thus the trip to N. Y.to Kleinfelds, to purchase a new dress for Michelle, for the vow renewal. That's why the original dress at Jill's wedding made no sense. Michelle needed a new one for her 25th anniversary, but dragged the old one to Jill's wedding ceremony.
When I saw Jill's wedding picture first, I was hoping the bridesmaids were wearing a peach shade like Dericks tie and her flowers. The teal kind of threw me off. Are there pictures of the bridesmaids and groomsmen? It must have looked weird: the guys in tan and peach and the girls in teal?? I would think that would not match at all. I did like Grandma's dress, she looks the best of anyone. Couldn't see Michelle's dress or shoes. I was hoping Michelle would have had a nicer hairstyle like Kelly Bates.
I didn't know that MD's wedding dress was Grandma Duggars. So maybe the dress was a way to honor GD's marriage and the memory of Grandpa Duggar.
Are there pictures of the bridesmaids and groomsmen?
Did you look at the header for this thread?
I read somewhere online that they kept costs low for the wedding of 1000 guests. I find this amusing particularly since parents of the bride traditionally pay for the wedding although maybe not for an older couple who earn regular paychecks. Assuming they're on a tight budget, which they shouldn't be, Jim Bob and Michelle would rather have 1000 guests and feed them cupcakes, root beer, ice cream and a cookie or two, than invite around 400 guests, which is by no means a small wedding, and offer them a slice of specialty wedding cake, punch, some tea sandwiches or similar foods, still comparatively modest fare for a wedding reception. To each his own, but if I were as wealthy as the Duggars, I wouldn't be boasting to the media about what little I offered my 1000 guests who probably gave my daughter a lovely gift and may have dressed up and traveled an hour or more to attend the event.
With the way Jim Bob Duggar talks about his deceased dad, no way would he allow anything to honor his late father at the wedding. Anyone, that follows the Duggars knows, that Jim Bob had no respect for his dad & has said some dreadful thing about this man who can no longer defend himself. I can never understand why grandma allows this.
I believe from what we've heard from Jim Bob about his dad, he would never allow the family, to honor him at the wedding. It's very sad, as none of us know the whole story, nobody does, but the man is dead & it appears he did his best for his family. Maybe he wasn't in church every Sunday, but his son went to a Christian School & I think he helped as much as he could. We don't know, but Jimbob has no respect for the man
RE: Coleen's comments, I'm not too sure if she follows the Duggars but I must chime in & say that based on JB's past statements about his dad, I don't think under any circumstances, he would want anything to honor his father. When his dad was alive, I never knew he had issues with him, but after he died he has not spoken very kindly about him.
Anonymous 12:52 said in regards to Anonymous 11:44:
Are there pictures of the bridesmaids and groomsmen?
Did you look at the header for this thread?
__________________________________
I think they are asking are there any photos of each bridesmaid/groomsmen pairings so we can see how the colors look together. The photo in the header is just the Duggar family.
I just knew the Duggars would have "friends" that would help keep down the cost of the wedding. I read from an interview Jill gave, that a friend, baked the wedding cake, all the cookies & other baked goods, also done by friends. Article actually said; "they used friends to set up all the tables & chairs for their guest,1000 of them" I believe the key phrase there is that they "used their friends." Don't they always?
Re: The cookies & cakes as well as the Wedding Cake that were served at Jill's wedding reception, according to an interview Jill gave, all the baked goods at the reception were all made & donatd by family friends.
You raised some great points. I never truly thought about the situation these girls are put into. You go from living under your parents thumb,slaving away raising siblings, to being an adult (though legally they've been adults for years) overnight. An adult with adult responsibilities and expectations such as birthing children every 10 to 12 months and submitting to your husband's every whim. When are these girls lives ever their own? Never.
Once you choose to get married, you stop having a life of your own. If you want a life of your own, don't get married. There are plenty of secular women who are raised to believe that marriage is the intertwining of two lives and until you are ready for the intertwining, don't get married. It's probably why Jill waited until she got her midwifery career well established and made a point of doing a bit of midwifery work while visiting Derick. She was make a point that midwifery is part of intertwining and he needed to accept that part of her life.
==Once you choose to get married, you stop having a life of your own. If you want a life of your own, don't get married. ==
I don't believe that you stop having a live of your own once you get married. You stop doing certain things that are only appropriate for single people) when you get married, but you replace that with other things. Normally you DON'T have to give up your entire life or career these days unless you have to move far away.
However, I believe the original post that this quote was in answer to stated that the Duggar girls go from their parent's envision of life for them directly to marriage... without an adult time in-between just for them. Yes, Jill got to do some midwifery work but only because her Dad gave his permission, and with a chaperone. She didn't get to experience life on her own.
Re; Alberta Rose' comments...what the; H..l? How many married women Doctors & Lawyers, Educators, are there out? Jill is no midwife yet!! TLC set up a visit for Jill in Nepal, to the clinic, to observe the midwife. Twenty minutes(at the most) or so, talking to the midwife, a patient, & looking over their equipment, wasn't exactly throwing it in Derick's face, that she would still keep up with her career as a midwife. She hasn't even finished her training, & nobody knows if she will continue. She can't call herself a midwife.
I can't believe anyone thinks Jill has her midwifery career well established. She is not a midwife, & I don't know if she will ever finish her training. Don't forget, all the time she has taken off, to write the book do the publicity tour, visit Derick be involved in a courtship, engaged & planning a wedding. I remember the midwife she was training under, said Jill had a lot more time before she would be finished.
I agree with My Thoughts comments. Jill never experience life on her own & neither will any of the other Duggars. Traveling on the bus with the family is not living on your own. Going to college & living away from home at a dorm, or sharing an apartment with others, where you need to figure out your bills, do your own shopping & a million little things, that you never even think about, when you live under you parent's roof. that's what prepare you for your life in the real world
I think Jill had nearly 20 women to follow and delivery as primary at the time that was filmed before she could even take the licensure test.
I am sorry Alberta Rose, I have to disagree. I made the original comment and I must say, I do not believe that once you get married you stop having a life of your own. Yes, marriage does bind two people ans two lifestyles but their is no reason why a married woman can't have a career, hobbies, interests, and dreams of her that only she participates in. I have a career and I like to do many things that don't involve my spouse or children. Is there always time? No but I still manage to engage in these interests from time to time. Does it mean I love my family any less or neglect my duties as a wife and a mother? No. Women really can do more than birth children and tend house. I am also a Christian so again, there is still time for me to have a full life. I know everyone is entitled to choose their own path, their life, their beliefs but my original point is that Jill Dillard has NEVER been given that option. There is a wonderful freedom is getting to make simple choices for yourself such as what you wear, what you eat, where you go, anything that doesn't require a group vote or your parents approval first. I consider my spouse in many decisions I make but not all. I also was allowed to live a normal, adult life prior to marriage. Again,I wish Jill and Derick the best. I hope that Jill gets to live HER life before everything become Derick and "the little ones".
Re: teal bridesmaids dresses and peach groomsmen ties not matching....
Derick's tie was peach and the groomsmen were teal. JD and one other boy were groomsmen and are in the family picture wearing teal.
I believe the color was tourquoise not teal. Teal is a much deeper, darker shade.
It really makes no sense to me how long this midwife "training" of Jill's is taking. When they first started talking about it they said something like 4 years (or more)? Now granted, I do think plenty of time is essential, esp. when dealing w/ human life & having the responsibility of bringing new life into the world, HOWEVER, what doesn't make sense to me is she'll go through all this time & not even be a certified NURSE midwife. I mean if that's what she wants, fine, but my point is that it just seems like the Duggars jump through all these hoops to avoid participating in "worldliness", but then take 3-4 times as long to accomplish something without gaining the higher prestige they could deserve. Look at the CollegePlus and some of these "Bible" colleges that are promoted, but they're not even accredited programs/institutions. The Crown College Erin went to is not accredited, but according to their website, they are "working with a Christian organization toward national accreditation"...(insert IMO: still and/or supposedly) And then they do all this volunteer firefighter stuff & political mumbo jumbo, but honestly, I just want to shout from the rooftops...Just go and get a real, gosh darn education people!
Ben posted a picture via twitter of Jill sitting on Derick's lap getting ready for the church fireworks display.
Ah, yes, "sitting on lap"...they can now do "that", Lol... I remember when Josh & Anna did that, specifically, there was an episode of a big Duggar gathering in the great room w/ JB standing front & center making some kind of proclamation and there was Josh & Anna sitting on the couch among the whole family, Anna sitting on Josh's lap, almost same pose. (You wouldn't dare see them doing that now...that's just too rookie) I also recall a Bates pic where Whitney was sitting on Zach's lap.
Re; Mom in Texas's comments. I agree with you that any woman can & should,if she wants to, continue her career. There is certainly a way to have a happy, home, hubby & children, as well as a career. I agree, not everything is perfect everyday, but it's not perfect & all roses in anyone's life. Your points, about the lack of freedom, in Jill's life are well taken. I agree with you, about the simple freedoms in daily life. People that have never experienced these daily freedoms, will never understand what it's like to experience, a full well-rounded life. You cannot live your life by anyone else's rules & regulations. Sometimes, I honestly don't think the Duggars are living in this century, but then of course, I see all the up to the minute technology in their home & it only confuses me more. No freedom to make your own daily decisions in this era. I'll never understand & would not want to live that way. I also wish Jill the best, but have my doubts. She has not completed her "education," as a midwife, & it's anyone's guess if she will. Very sad.
I agree with tulips' comments about Jill's midwife training, as well as the College Plus & other educational programs the Duggars endorse. As a nurse, I have seen student nurses complete their education, receiver their degree & pass their license exam, in the same time frame that Jill has been pursuing her "midwife training." Nobody really knows exactly what her education will be preparing her for; is she going to be, a midwife, a Certified Midwife, a Licensed Midwife? A Certified & Licensed Midwife? I really don't know any midwifes personally, but do know there are many different levels in that field. This is apparent to me, as I see the requirements for the various levels of a midwifery, when I renew my nursing license every 2 yrs. There are different, Continuing Education Units, required to renew any license. Truthfully, I believe this midwife training, is no different that the various men in the church, like Gill Bates, that just decide they have a calling to be a minister, do a few courses online, shadow an educated professional & they are a "Pastor." The church leaders needed to find something appropriate for the unmarried women, so it's midwifery or a doula. I think Jill has only done online courses,(I know there are a lot of online for every profession) we have never seen or heard of classroom work & there absolutely must be some classroom work. I think she then apprenticed with a certified midwife. We don't even know if the midwife she is training with is certified or licensed? So she does online courses, shadows a midwife, when she not busy with other "time constraints," & poof, she's a midwife. I think with both a mother's life & infants life, hanging in the balance, I would want the one that had done it all!
Sorry for the long rant.
If she finishes the requirements and passes the exam, she'll be a state licensed lay midwife.
Jill sitting on Derick's lap. Good for them. They look happy and at ease with each other. For us who wondered how Jill would handle the sudden intimacy of marriage well, just by looking at that picture personally I won't have to wonder anymore. Jill looks happy and satisfied.
Regarding the lack of freedom in Jill's life...
The one thing that gives me hope is that Derick seems like a solid guy who loves and respects Jill as a person. I think he will give her time to adjust to married life without imposing strict "sanctions" and rules about their lifestyle, i.e., we must have children right away! Keep wearing skirts! Keep your hair long! etc.
I think Derick will respect Jill's wishes if she wants to continue wearing skirts, wearing her hair long, etc., but won't have a cow if she decides to branch out a bit, evaluate things on her own, and says, "Hey, I'd really like to continue my education," or "I think I can be a good Christian without wearing flip flops." Contrast that to JimBob's horrible reaction to Michelle's straight-hair makeover, and I can only imagine what he would do if Michelle told him she wanted to wear pants.
I must say I am surprised by Jill. I thought for sure she had bought in to her parent's beliefs completely. I was so glad to see the frontal hug with Derrick. She also picked a more mainstream young man. My hope is she will hold off on having babies and go to a real school and get real midwife or nursing training. It's sad her parents have held her back. She could be a full RN by now, and headed to a Master's. I hope I hope Derrick will encourage her to blossom, and wish them the best.
re Anonymous@ 10:18 comment about Jill. I believe the key phrase there is; "If she finishes the requirements, & passes the exam." Will she then be able to practice in any other state or country? If she is anxious to at some point, work in midwifery, in another country, in a missionary capacity, will she legally be able to do so?.
That's a good question. The requirements she is working toward are only for Arkansas. She'd have to research the requirements an apply in any other state or country. Some accept licensed lay midwives and many don't.
What if JB came upon a traffic accident and a woman who was upset, crying because of her husbands injuries before the police or paramedics get there. When he walks up to her to ask questions, what if she was to reach out to hug him like normal people do in that situation. But she does a frontal hug and is crying her eyes out! And holding on to him for dear life because she is upset and scared! Does he push her away? What would Michelle say when she saw it from the car? She DEFRAUDED her wonderful husband? Their backward ways stink to high top mountain.
Since Derick and Jill have said they want to have as many children as possible,I don't picture Jill continuing with midwivery after her first baby.I oculd be wrong and she may get someone to watch said baby,but after a few of them,I imagine it would be too time consuming.jmo
Yes, marriage does bind two people ans two lifestyles but their is no reason why a married woman can't have a career, hobbies, interests, and dreams of her that only she participates in. I have a career and I like to do many things that don't involve my spouse or children.
I never said you can't have a career. Jill made it clear she plans to continue her career. I moved out when I was 19, I got married when I was 27. I had to let go of a lot of things because I had a life of my own. A 20 year old co-worker of mine who watches 19 Kids and Counting and has heard many older people say they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own has decided to live at home until she gets married. She's not the only secular woman I know who has made that decision. I just helped a woman and her son move to a different city, because the man of the household was unwilling to give up the alcohol life he had established before he met her. I firmly agree with the Duggars. Live your life in such a way you don't have much to give up.
I hope Jill and Derick really think it out on the "have as many babies as possible". Look at how the duggars lived before TLC $ came along--all those kids and not enough bedrooms, or bathrooms etc. TLC $ will not go on forever--all these so called reality shows end eventually along with the big bucks. I just don't get the popping out a baby every nine or ten months. JMO
Maybe once Jill has had a couple of her own she can be the main midwife for all of her sisters' deliveries. Just to keep her hand in it...so to speak...
Lord knows with all those sisters and all those future blessings, she'll be a very busy midwife...and she wouldn't even need to look beyond the Duggar family tree!
Re: people saying they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own...
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this notion :) It may be "easier" for Jill to go from being under the authority of her dad to the authority of her husband, and from living under one set of rules that someone else established for her to another set of rules that another person establishes for her, because it's just another form of compliance. However, to me, that's not a "full" life.
What if God had plans for Jill, or any other Duggar child, that fell outside what their parents decided was appropriate for them to do under their roof? What if Jana was meant to be a pre-school teacher at an outside-the-home school, where her strengths would be leveraged? Or Hannie a doctor?
Sure, it's hard to merge two independent lives when a couple gets married. You are coming from two different families, have two different personalities, etc. Even if you make a point to follow the courtship model and only co-mingle with people who have similar backgrounds or convictions, it's still hard to live day-to-day with someone in a new house and living arrangement. But, I don't regret for one minute having lived on my own, explored life on my own terms, etc. And neither does my husband of 20+ years.
==A 20 year old co-worker of mine who watches 19 Kids and Counting and has heard many older people say they had a hard time transitioning from living single to living married due to having a life of their own has decided to live at home until she gets married==
So she unilaterally decided that she could continue to live at her parents home, eat her parents food, generally deprive her parents of the benefits of their children all being adults in fact, not just name only? The Duggars have denied their adult aged offspring the joys and pitfalls of actual adult life (jobs, apartments, bank accounts, bills, road trips, peace and quiet). Jim Bob and Michelle have made it so that they will never be alone with each other in their lifetime. Mary doesn't get any peace and quiet either. Just because a parent and/or child are co-dependent and can't separate as they should doesn't mean it's the right way to go. If a 20+ year old person can't live on their own, then they shouldn't get married either. Is she expecting her husband to take care of her in the same way her parents do since she won't have ever taken care of herself?
The other point I wanted to make is that, just because one person who didn't follow the Duggar lifestyle model ended up with an unhappy life or less-than-ideal situation with a spouse not giving up certain aspects of pre-married life, it does not mean ALL non-Duggar lifestyle people experience the same thing. Conversely, not all people who live on their own prior to marriage end up with problems either transitioning into married life or trying to find the balance between "me" stuff and "couple" stuff.
In fact, 5 minutes on the "Recovering Grace" website would confirm that many people who grew up in the same manner as the Duggars have had many problems in adulthood. That does not mean problems are guaranteed, and I would never wish that upon any of the Duggar children, but I don't think ANY person is guaranteed a happy, carefree marriage or adulthood, regardless of how they lived their lives prior to marriage.
RE: Alberta Rose's comment on living your life in such a way, that you don't have to give up much. The issue here is that of course, that's how Jim Bob & Michelle are living their own lives, but their "adult children," are not. How can anyone think that someone,over the age of eighteen or even worse, in their twenties, that are not even allowed to travel to the next town, or go for coffee, or to the mall by themselves, are living their lives, in a way that they don't have to give up much. I would say they have given up their freedom, but truthfully, they have never had the freedom to live the way they want, once they reached legal age. I have tried to understand that comment, but it just doesn't make sense to me.
Seeing that Jill & Derick spent their honeymoon in N.C. I wonder if TLC either owns,or rents a place there, as Jon & Kate went there for a beach vacation 3 yrs in a row. Josh & Anna also honeymooned there.
According to an article in People, Jill said they had 300 cupcakes at the wedding reception. Again, although they had other baked goods, still 300 cupcakes for 1000 people! Also, you would think "punch," instead of root beer floats....rather messy especially with those kids.
I knew the Duggar's "friends," would come through for the wedding. Michelle, is quoted as saying, she is so grateful for all the volunteers that helped put everything together for the wedding. The volunteers did all the decorations, & baking. According to People magazine, there were 600,cupcakes, 3,000 chocolate chip cookies, 3,000 root beer floats & pounds of popcorn. I don't care if it was a "country wedding," you still don't have your "friends," do the work, especially when you have the resources. Also,when you get to over 1,000 guests, it is no longer a little country wedding. I've been to some lovely small country weddings, where family & friends did all the food themselves, but there were not over 1,000, thousand guests. Just another observation, you would think, they would have had punch instead of root beer floats. Very messy, I would think. I can just imagine when they show the episode on the wedding, how Jim Bob will be saying, they had "friends" wanting to pitch in & do the work. He doesn't even realize how stupid it makes him look. What was the point of having a wedding planner, if friends were doing the work. A planner usually oversees the caterer, etc.
Lol, they honeymooned at "Kill Devil" Hills. I just saw the People article while at the checkout (nope, I didn't dare buy it). Omg, there is a pic of the cake which I hadn't seen...yikes! What happened? I guess a friend made it? Wow, looks like they slapped on the frosting trying to cover up some big screw-ups, attempted some kind of ribbon around the middle layer, which is crooked, and a heap of fresh flowers on top looks like it's weighing the whole thing down w/ the entire cake leaning and looking like the layers are melting into each other. I would be devastated if I made that and it turned up in an exclusive photo spread of a national mag. Maybe they should have had their cake friend Sierra help out...or not.
Jill seems to be following in her bro's footsteps w/ her excitement of the day in what's for dinner. Also plenty of plugs for TLC & People. Keep the money train moving in full on Duggar-style.
Yes, at this point w/ the Duggar fam. making millions and Duggars the next generation assumed to pull in an additional cool six-figures, talk of "volunteers" is absolutely absurd. Seriously, even if these people did in fact "volunteer", JB should still be signing over checks. And why the suspense of sounding so stressed? They could have easily handed over cash to some place to "cater" all those cupcakes & cookies...maybe TLC didn't want to foot the bill or DC Cupcakes was too busy. And "country wedding"?...from the sounds of it, it comes across more as a carnival to me w/ root beer floats, cookies & pounds of popcorn. I bet TLC does in fact have an "in" over at NC, why else would it coincidentally be such a choice location for vacations on the shows? Maybe free honeymoon + pay for filming, advertising & their own paycheck? = Jill & Derick just got their own gravy train.
The first interview about the wedding I read, said that Jill had a friend that did the beautiful wedding cake. Maybe the one you saw was made by Anna. Remember when she decided to throw together, a 'Noah's Ark Cake," for Michael's fist birthday. She had someone come in & rescue her at the last minute & everybody in the family just raved about how beautiful it was. The Duggars get what they pay for!
Just because Jill had a beautiful gown & that really surprised a lot of us, it doesn't mean it was a "classy wedding." sounds like a bunch of friends baking, making popcorn (yes pounds of it),homemade wedding cake. Maybe the wedding planner & TLC wanted to portray it as top of the line, but Jim Bob's wallet is sewn shut. It would probably take a jack hammer to open it up
Did anybody look at Jill's pinterest page? Yes some things could have been executed better but from what I've seen in her pinterest she got the wedding SHE wanted and I say good for her. The wedding cake is called a messy cake which is popular on pinterest and I actually like it being lopsided and all. lol!
Cupcakes, cookies, rootbeer floats? It sounds more like a child's birthday party than a wedding reception. My sugar level rose just reading about the awful"food" they "provided", courtesy of the work of others. It would have been classy to hire a caterer and serve hot and cold appetizers and a real, decently baked and presented wedding cake. Who has soda floats at a wedding? Just as I thought, children getting married.
I was going to criticize the wedding cake baker, but thinking about it, I realized maybe the "friend" did a sloppy job on purpose. Maybe she though-let me do a lousy job on the cake and they will never ask me to do another cake again!
Weddings seem to be very cultural/regional. My husband and I went to an Evangelical wedding just a few months before our wedding 24 years ago. We were SHOCKED by how "basic" it was. Our own wedding was pretty average for our area, with a band, cocktail hour, full dinner, etc. I think it's just different people do it differently. I'm sure for the Duggars and their ilk, the wedding seemed perfectly lovely.
I think Jill's wedding theme was vintage,or the Old Days,or something like that.One pic showed antique bibles wrapped in lace,and lace at the end of the pews.So the root beer,popcorn,and messy cake make sense,in that respect. (at least somewhat). I would have thought Jill would have wanted something more formal,but as long as she was happy with it,that's all that counts.
When I think of Jill's wedding with all the "friends" volunteering for everything, from setting up tables & chairs, to all the baking for the reception, I remember one time Michelle said, they have a friend that always say's, "Jim Bob is so tight when he walks he squeaks." What a guy!
R: Anonymous' comment 7/1 @9:38 pm re: Jill being the main midwife for her sister's deliveries' in the future. She already stepped into that role with the birth of Anna's first 2 children. Of course,she hadn't started her training, when MacKenzie was born, but had started when Michael was born.
You probably noticed that Anna chose a certified (perhaps licensed midwife) for her third delivery.
I suspect Anna didn't want to end up with another toilet birth,thus the midwife.
Also,the lady that did her first 2 births (can't recall her name),her Dr. husb. was having some prof. problems,and they may not have wanted to assoc. with her any more.
Never have I seen the whole family dressed like the wedding attendants. Shows me that there is no separation between Jil, Derick and Jill's family. She is a woman of 23, he a man of 25. Just plain weird. she can't go shopping without someone with her as she never has and apparently is afraid to go anywhere alone. Derick WILL tire of the clan hanging around every day sooner or later. Jill has separation anxiety as she was not emotionally ready to marry, IMO.
There are two comments that brought me to tears with laughter:
Anonymous comment on 6/26 described the younger boys attired as 1920's "rum runners"
Tulip comment on 6/26 described the ring bearers as wearing "newsboys caps".
Maybe they were going for the vintage look of the roaring 20's.
I can't wait to see the wedding photos!
However, the pictures of Jill & Derick were very nice. Jill was a beautiful bride, lovely wedding gown- kudos for the couple!
I think (of course just my opinion, who really knows) that Jill and Erin Bates were afraid to leave their families. Alyssa wasn't. Good for her. I think Jill and Erin are afraid to disappoint their parents, pure and simple. In Jill's case there was probably some manipulation or carrot-dangling by JimBob. He probably encouraged the relationship with Derick because Derick lived nearby anyway. They are control freaks. Chad and Derick are sweethearts and probably think they are just giving their new brides some time to adjust, but it may be too late already (to consider moving very far). I also think Jill was probably made to feel guilty about leaving the "buddies". So sad.
On another subject, I just want to say that I give Anna and Erin credit for at least finishing the schools they started (Whitney may have also, not sure). Erin actually went to a campus for classes, even though its not accredited. She finished, got a "degree" (with honors) and is still giving piano lessons and playing at her church, according to her mom. Apparently they do not attend the same church as her parents. I think that's good. I wish Jill would at least give Derick's church a try. I am assuming Anna's "college" classes were online as I have never heard otherwise, but at least she did finish something. I only hope Jill will do the same.
If they were going for the 1920s look, the attendants should have been dressed in 1920s attire also. Fringe dresses just below the knee and sparkly headbands with strapped, high heeled shoes would have kept the look consistent and made a statement as to what the bride's intention was. None of them looked like they were in the same wedding party; only the color tied them in. Jill's dress then should have been 1920s vintage and would have looked elegant. She also did nothing with her hair for her wedding. I didn't recognize some of her sisters, don't know what they did to themselves.. The style of Mary Duggar's gown was elegant and suited her well; she should have had a different color to stand out as an honored grandmother. IMHO, just not well done. Who has kid-birthday party sweets at their wedding? Children do.
Re: I think that Jill and Erin Bates were afraid to leave their families.
I believe Kelly Bates hinted at this a bit, about Erin being "homesick" and needing more time to adjust. And, really, why wouldn't she or Jill? Almost everything they have done has been a part of the huge family unit, and it has to be disorienting to go from that situation, where your parents plan out everything, assign you chores and work, and pretty much call the shots, to one where it is just you and your husband in your own home.
That's why I disagreed with a previous commenter who felt the Duggar/stay-at-home model was better, because one is bringing less "baggage" or individual experiences into the marriage that could be hard to break. It's got to be hard to transition from dependent child to adult wife in one fell swoop.
Brown sandals and blue dresses with white on the bottom look awful. I recently got married. The girls of the bridal party wore a similar shade of blue but with pretty, sparkly silver sandals. Any kind of metallic look would be good or even summery white. The white on the bottom screams "these dresses are pretty but too short so we lengthened them because we're all about modesty."
Re: The white on the bottom screams "these dresses are pretty but too short so we lengthened them because we're all about modesty."
And you KNOW when the Duggars try to prove themselves modest, they end up drawing more attention to themselves than they would've if they had just gone the "normal" route.
I'm wondering if the wedding theme was all tlc's idea.Josh and Anna had a rather boring,traditional wedding after all.It seems every wedding since then has been either a bit fancier or a bit untraditional,starting with David and Priscilla's,and onto the Bates family.
On the Duggars blog it says that the guests at the wedding were banned from taking any photos. Since when has that been a wedding policy. A wedding is as much the guests day as the couples. It will always cost guests to attend a wedding in some shape or form. With travel expenses, buying gifts and kitting out yourselves with nice clothing and shoes to attend. Without guests there is no wedding. Just a formal legal necessity. If they wanted no one to photograph them, why not get married in secret. This has to be about money and who they sold the rights of photo exclusives to. The love of money is the root of all evil and you cannot serve two masters both God and money. Someone somewhere has to stand up and start telling the truth about this family. God have mercy on them all. I feel sorry for all those guests, that they asked to be there to make it look like they have a lot of friends, only to come away without a single photo memory of their own. I know of one family that drove all the way from Colorado. I wonder if they can claim expenses from TLC.
I have no doubt they signed a contract with probably People magazine for the rights to the photos. I find it hypocritical that this family claims they don't watch TV, but have no problem with accepting money to appear on a reality show. I just really hope that their is money being put in trust for the kids, but I wouldn't put it past Jimboob to have negotiated the contract and had all the money going to him.
I've read on a few other sites that photos from guests/public other than People were not to post photos of the wedding for 3 weeks. The 3 weeks ends this Saturday so we may see a whole lot of other photos this weekend.
Do they have to hold off on pictures until after Alyssa's wedding is shown on ABC - tomorrow night? I just wondered, because that will be exactly 3 weeks. People magazine came out 2 wks ago and the wedding on TLC won't be until the fall. What is the deal with 3 weeks?
Willow said...What is the deal with 3 weeks?
I don't know the reasoning but, it seems that it was being honored. The Duggar blogspot has started to release some pictures though and looks like more is coming. I also read on another site that people there went to the wedding and that they had a lot to talk about the wedding but are also waiting for the 3 weeks to end. Stupid me forgot to bookmark the page and now am having a hard time finding it. I'm curious to read what they have to say.
It sounds like People mag wanted everyone to have a chance to buy this edition bf anyone could post any pics.(and bf the next edition come out).That's probably just to ensure maximum sales,imo.
From what I have seen at the checkout line in People magazine last week, the "Duggar spread" was a total let down. It was a jip. Glad I don't buy those mags.
How rude of JB and Michelle to sell their daughter's wedding to People to make even more money. Aren't they greatful to TLC for the salaries they draw? They needed more? So classless of them to have done so. They act like "the Queen" got married.
In all fairness,it may have been Jill and Derick who sold out their wedding to People mag.Their wedding registry certainly didn't hold back on expensive items,and they may have wanted to money for their new start in life,and or to help with their honeymoon.jmo
Maybe it was Jill and Derick who sold out to People magazine, after all they are adults and it's their event. Jim Bob taught his kids "cheapness" very well. However, one can't help but continue to lump all the Duggars together as that's how they continue to live even after one of them marries.
I, too, haven't seen much "leave and cleave" in either Josh OR Jill, as Michelle stated in an earlier interview on TV. I doubt we will "see" Jill interacting much with the Dillard side of the family, as she doesn't seem very interested in them. Has she gone over and helped her mother in law? If she did, I'm sure the cameras would have captured that one. Also, very selfish, childish and shallow of Michelle to continue to think of herself and not mention one syllable about concern and prayer for Derick's mother when speaking about the wedding. It's all about them all of the time. And I still think Michelle's dress sucked at that wedding...totally wrong, fabric, style, high added on neckline, and full jacket... the dress looked like aluminum foil and she was baking inside it.
Well, its been 3 wks and 2 days, where are all the pictures? Hmmm.
The Duggars shop at Hobby Lobby and eat at Chick-Fil-A because they want to support businesses with the same values as their family. So why don't they buy a wedding dress and bridesmaid's dresses from a company that specializes in modest formal wear? The additions they made to the dresses to meet their modesty standards ranged from okay (Jill) to a hot mess (Michelle). Plus, they were giving money to manufacturers of "immodest" clothing. They could help a "godly" business really take off, make much less work for themselves and look much better. Tells me the choice of dresses and the modifications is really all for show.
Re Anonymous: I doubt we will "see" Jill interacting much with the Dillard side of the family, as she doesn't seem very interested in them. Has she gone over and helped her mother in law? If she did, I'm sure the cameras would have captured that one.
Derick's mom is battling cancer and why should TLC film while Jill is over visiting? Cathy may want to have privacy at home while recovering (I hope she is) and TLC is abiding her request. She however was able to attend the wedding ceremony and maybe she had a little camera time then.
I understand completely if Derick's mother would like some privacy while recovering from treatment. However, I still believe if Jill went over and visited her mother in law, or ran any errands for HIS family, it would have been mentioned in print or a photo of her accomplishing those tasks; sans a picture of Derick's mom. Jill would have noted the "credit" for helping out. No mention of the woman whatsoever, from Jill, OR Michelle even about concern, or how the woman is doing.
I think that by now, weeks after the wedding, TLC, People magazine and the Duggars are pulling the rope a bit too tightly. Interest is fading in seeing any photos, and by the time this event airs, it will be very old news. I, for one, and tired of waiting to see the "Princess Jill"'s wedding photos. I'm not caring too much anymore.
I'm also disappointed that more pictures of the wedding has not surfaced but guests were not allowed to take photos so maybe there are not many out there. I read somewhere that Chad (Paine?) assisted the photographer and that he will post photos on his blog when time permits.
If I remember correctly TLC showed the proposal about two months later and got a high viewership so I expect the same when the Wedding is televised.
The dresses and shoes/sandals are the ugliest I have ever seen. It looks like a botched-up attempt to lengthen the dresses. Surely longer dresses were available? I would have thought that the attire for this "royal" wedding would have been simple, yet stunning. JMHO
I, too, think it's odd that there's been no mention of how Derick's mom is doing. I totally respect that they probably don't want a camera crew tramping all over the place as Derick's mom is going through treatment or resting and recovering at home, but knowing she was too ill to make the rehearsal dinner, I'm a little stunned that there's been no follow up information coming out of the Duggar/Dillard camp.
I guess Jill is too busy posting weekiversary posts. Which, by the way, is behavior more akin to a 14-year old who has her first boyfriend in middle school - oh my gosh, we've been together 3 weeks!!!! Jill + Derick 4ever!!!
Enough making fun...I do like both of them, and I hope that Jill keeps maturing and develops her own sense of who she is away from the Duggar compound and that they have a long and happy marriage that is based on deep respect for each other :)
With this "leave and cleave" thing, I wonder how often Anna speaks to her mother on the phone? Does anyone know? It seems that SHE abandoned her family in FL to be with Josh and his family. On the other hand, it seems that Derick, also has abandoned HIS family and has joined the Jill's family. I see posts of he and Jill living "a la Duggar" style...how can it work both ways, that a son and a daughter both have left THEIR families to cling to the Duggars? Derick screwed up in accepting the "free house" from JB...even if nearly free, the price will be "too high" in the longrun. I really don't think Jill can stand on her own two feet, for she has had absolutely NO experience in that area. Can she go to the grocery store alone yet? If she not terrified to do so?
Re: the wedding attire: sorry, but I still think Michelle looked like a stuffed potato baking in aluminum foil.
Her body type was all wrong for that dress, she is way too top heavy, layered that get up to the hilt and stuffed herself in and re-wrapped herself in a long sleeve jacket in June in Arkansas; for an afternoon affair. Sorry, but Kelly Bates wore that dress better...I think their wedding was in the fall? Also, the gray color just died on Michelle. It also looked too tight. JMHO
I think it is just stupid that Michelle wore the same dress as Kelly. Was it the exact same dress or just one like it? Who are they trying to fool? We know Michelle could easily afford her own dress. SO not impressive. Yes, Michelle's did look different - stiff and not as pretty. Was it her idea or did JB refuse to give her money for a dress? If he did, why not get your own style? Just wonderin'.
I would never think that Derick has "abandoned" his family. Opinions are being based only on what is being seen. It's not like Derick is with the Duggar family 24/7. We're only seeing the times he is with them. He lives in the same town as his mom so I'm sure he and Jill visit but we just don't get to see it. This is the Duggar show so of course everything has to be about them.
I thought that Josh and Anna honeymooned in Florida, sleeping in the aquarium?
Why was their honeymoon filmed and not Jill's?
Thanks for this blog, I am glad others see through this family too.
Why was their honeymoon filmed and not Jill's?
--
Their honeymoon was filmed. It was included in the TV special about their wedding, I believe. I remember Josh taking the camera crew on a tour of the townhouse they rented. And they went para-sailing or something, and Anna gave another speech about Wholesomewear.
Josh and Anna honeymooned in Myrtle Beach, SC, if I remembered correctly. They hardly had any courting coverage because they weren't physically in the same place. It took place over the phone mostly, except for maybe 2 meetings. Then, their wedding and honeymoon was featured. Jill had the opposite, her courtship was covered on TV, but not her honeymoon, as the Duggars are more well know now then when Josh married.
We haven't seen the wedding yet-they probably filmed the honeymoon
but will not be shown until the wedding is shown-sounds like the wedding may be the next season's finale-they are going to show the engagement time, shopping for the wedding dress, maybe the bridal
showers,etc.
TLC is way too behind real time here. These short-lived "seasons" are only a few weeks long, then months off, premiere "new" episodes based on very old activities and news. They really need to step up the timeline and keep these episodes relevant.
Agreed,tlc keeps the viewers for this show too far behind in real time.In journalism,we call it 'stale news'.
Jill & Derick spent their honeymoon in North Carolina, the same as Josh & Anna did. I believe that TLC either owns or rents property there as the Gosslins went their for summer vacation 3 yrs. in a row. As far as Josh & Anna Sleeping at the aquarium, since they were at the ocean, I'm sure there was one there.
Post a Comment