Free Discussion May 2012

Please use this for Duggar sightings, speculation, or general discussion. Note that this is Duggar discussion not other families, TV shows, politics, religion, or personal stories. If the comment is more about you or some other issue than the actual Duggars, please rethink before sending. Thank you!

319 comments:

«Oldest   ‹Older   201 – 319 of 319
tulip said...

Are they really trying to get the rumor mill going full speed ahead, or what? Pic on Amy's Instagram "Hanging with Jill"...Anna standing behind the table looking huge, and the sleeveless jumper smock/shirt top over a t-shirt isn't helping cover anything up. Just make the announcement already!

tulip said...

If Amy's post is what finally forces them to break the news, it wouldn't be a surprise there-leave it to her to spill the beans about someone else's business, like when she (supposedly) leaked Jubilee's pic. Like how someone commented to the fact it's a picture of hangin' with Jill, and Jill isn't even shown in the picture.

sandi said...

This is why I don't like to speculate on whether or not Anna is pregnant.(and we'll find out soon enough if she is,IMO).I think it just fuels the frenzy that Josh and the rest of the family count on to get the ratings up.JMO.

Michigander1969 said...

I thought that, too, when I saw the amusement park picture a few days ago but then I started thinking, if she was pregnant, wouldn't they hide her in the middle of the group where no belly could be seen?

If they put her on the end, they either want people to keep speculating or she unfortunately, carries her weight in her middle which isn't uncommon after having two babies so close together.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Mindy said...
Regarding the roller coaster, my guess is that Anna is taking the picture since she is very obviously pregnant:

http://instagr.am/p/KsYoP6uWNI/

5/18/2012 6:51 PM

aussie said...
I, too, started to think Anna was not pregnant after all, until I saw the Silver Dollar city picture and the one below:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m48b66CZcb1r8mb1io1_500.jpg

5/18/2012 9:26 PM

Porcupine Pie said...

There's a new pic on Amy's instagram and Anna looks alot bigger. Of course she is standing behind someone so it's hard to see, but if she's NOT pregnant.......well, all those "date nights" with Joshie are adding up!

AA Studies said...

I often times doubt or question the influence that the Duggars have over the way others live their lives. They say they do their TLC show as a "ministry" for others. Personally I never saw anyone who appeared to emulate the Duggars lifestyle other than the families on 19 kids and Counting.

But yesterday at church I sat behind a true to life Catholic fundie family who seemed as if they have studied the Duggars and have it down to a science. There was Dad, button down shirt and jeans a la Jim Bob(which the boys also wore), sitting carefree to the side while Mom who, copy cat Michelle hairstyle and all, wrestled with 4 of the "little ones", stair steps including a newborn who had Down's Syndrome. I watched this frazzled woman speak "gently" to her 3rd and 4th children who were howlers. They climbed all over the pews, fought one another, even popped the newborn on its head. I almost felt sympathy for this woman until she handed off the newborn to her oldest child, a well mannered daughter who appeared to be around 8 so that Mom could then slide over and cuddle with Dad while the oldest daughter corralled the other children. I was appalled as I watched this child bounce and comfort the baby, feed him, scold the other children with a gentle voice, all the while her parents sat back and listened to the Mass. This child is nearly the same age as my own and I couldn't imagine saddling my daughter with these responsibilities. My heart ached for the little girl who seemed to be have been trained up to enjoy playing mommy. Where is her childhood? She is definitely well trained in the role her parents have chosen for her. What's even more scary is I am sure this mom is not finished birthing babies. I immediately thought of the Duggars and their oldest girls.

So if there is any question how the Duggars keep the train rolling, I got a partial answer. Some people really do strive to live like them, more than just in the moral standard of living. They watch the show, buy the books, and work hard to live like Jim Bob and Michelle.

Kenley said...

I met Josh Duggar in Florida in March. I really did not know who he was, other than his association with a big family on reality TV. He came off as I should have.
Anyways, he was at an outdoor event that a large church was hosting in kissimee. We had about 5 hours to kill before a flight so wandered in.
My first impression was this: I thought he was 40 years old. He just looks...old. I would never have believed that he is in his early 20's.
He was talking politics, namely the national debt and the bailouts specifically, to a group of people. The guy had no idea what he was talking about. None. It was insane. It was not even worth the time to ask him to clairify himself because he was so out of touch it would have been embarassing, not amusing. The group was clearly letting the guy babble just for the amusement factor alone. And he did not realize it.
I did not know this at the time, but I remember my friends and I wondering if he only had a third grade education because he did not know how to articulate himself into any meaningful conversation although he had the charisma of a used car salesman. Slick.
The boy could throw out impressive phrases but had no idea what he was talking about.
The guy needs a little schooling on American history and politics. It would serve him well.

tulip said...

I have not seen Michelle holding one of her children in awhile, unless of course, for a photo op. Even the last couple of Today Show appearances, she hasn't even bothered to have one on her lap or anything. The last time I saw her cook anything was (for the show) when she threw a couple packs of Ramen noodles in a crockpot, and then blathered on about how they're a good lunch because they have protein. The episode where they attempted to show that she does in fact still homeschool the kids, one of the boys (James?) was not paying attention and goofing around as Michelle instructed him, in baby voice, to find his wisdom books. The next scene was showing him messing around, rifling through disorganized drawers and folders, acting like he had no clue what he was even looking for. And I really am so tired of seeing that Pack and Play still sitting by the front door. Even Michael, at almost a year old, is too big for it, not to mention, we regularly see any child whose in that thing climb right out anyway, so what in the world is the point? I can't imagine looking up to the Duggars for parenting, or anything else. "Ministry"?, I think it's more like "moneymaker".

Allison said...

I still maintain that Anna has been the exact same size for the past 4 months, so I really don't think she's pregnant. I mean, she might be pregnant now, but she certainly couldn't have been pregnant the entire time we were speculating that she's pregnant.

And especially this far out, I just don't see why they would be keeping it a secret. The new season doesn't premiere until August and I just don't see how they could possibly keep it a secret for so long just for ratings fodder.

Stephanie said...

Regarding the rollar coaster photo.

All these parks take shots of the riders for purchase. No one was standing there taking that photo. Third row 2nd from right looks like Anna to me and maybe Jill on her left and behind "Jill" is one of the girl legs with flip flops off and knees showing with no head showing.

Allison said...

"...although he had the charisma of a used car salesman. Slick."

Oh, the irony.

I guess Josh found the perfect profession then. He *is* a used car salesman!

tulip said...

The only way I think Anna could have been pregnant the whole time is if she just found out in that pic from Feb., and started wearing maternity clothes right away, whether she needed to or not. At that time, I seriously thought she could be like 4 months pregnant-but obviously that wasn't the case. She could be about 4 months now though. But, I'm with the rest of the crowd who say if she was, why haven't they already made the rounds? If they wait til August, she'd have to be 6-7 months. I think at that point, their fans would be more disappointed and mad that they waited so long to tell them, considering they hang on their every word.

Jac&Jil said...

I myself think Anna is indeed pregnant. And I think Josh really gave us a hint on his Webstagram. One picture is of a movie theater marquee, and one of the movies showing is "October Baby." Don't know why he would be showing a movie marquee since he would never go to one of these movies.

I'm also tired of Josh saying to show your patriotism on Webstagram. I would be much more impressed if one of the adult Duggars (male or female) joined a branch of the armed forces. Then maybe I would have more respect for Josh's "patriotism."

I for one actually like Amy Duggar. At least she's normal and has a good looking boyfriend who has a real college degree. Her dreams to become a country singer might not come true, but at least she has aspirations that none of her cousins will ever be able to have. On a side note - does anyone besides me think that Amy Duggar and Rachael Ray were separated at birth?

Ten years from now if this blog is still up and running, we we all still be saying the same things about the Duggars - the girls' long hair, no education, no employment, no careers, etc. The only thing that will be different is that they will all be 10 years older.

Seriously? said...

Can anyone help me understand why anyone actually CARES if any of the Duggars are preggers?

We already know the Duggars are a one trick pony - pop 'em out, proudly keep 'em uneducated, get 'em courted and married off, so the cycle can begin anew.

We know the way to keep the TLC gravy train a'rollin' thru Arkansas is to CREATE drama, and, since apparently in Duggarville procreation itself is drama, so, OF COURSE every pregnancy, every hyped up family 'crisis' will continue to be exploited on camera so long as TLC is willing to pony up the dough.

The Duggars make a mockery of the concept of 'ministry'.

WHO CARES who of the Duggars may be pregnant?! The culmination of ANY Duggar life is predictable and never-changing, at least not on camera. So whether you're Baby 1 or Baby 21, the story is always boringly, depressingly the same. Where's the mystery? Where's the riddle? The Duggars do the only thing they seem capable of achieving: unbridled pregnancy. I know of pets who have the same basic capacity, so WHO CARES?

ImaFan said...

Even though pictures are worth a thousand words, it is possible that Anna is in deed NOT pregnant. I looked at the picture of her and Josh at the table with the kids and thought no doubt it is true. Then I looked down at myself and found that my own belly was bulging in the same manner and I am not even close to pregnant. I am just getting back into a routine with exercise, it will take time. Anna on the other hand I don't even know if she has the time right now. Or maybe she just figures she might just be on again off again pregnant like Michelle for the next 20 or so years so why bother with it now. Who knows? No one from their camp has blabbed yet, no way that at least 10 if not more siblings would notice by now and leak it. Maybe they can keep secrets around there, who knows? JMO

Allison said...

"One picture is of a movie theater marquee, and one of the movies showing is "October Baby." Don't know why he would be showing a movie marquee since he would never go to one of these movies."

This isn't a hint at the impending due date of Josh Duggar #3. October Baby is actually a Christian film about a woman who finds out she's the "survivor" of an attempted abortion. So in that case, Josh actually would be likely to see such a movie and perhaps was promoting the fact a Christian film was showing in a mainstream movie theater.

Alberta Rose said...

often times doubt or question the influence that the Duggars have over the way others live their lives. They say they do their TLC show as a "ministry" for others. Personally I never saw anyone who appeared to emulate the Duggars lifestyle other than the families on 19 kids and Counting.

Long before I saw the Duggars, I encountered people like this. Grocery stores, movie theaters, church, camping, community events, hockey or football games, there are large families who dress similiar, who expect the oldest to help out with the younger children. It's nothing new. Frank and Lilllian Gilbreth had no qualms about using their children to make motion study films, and the older ones were expected to not only juggle public school and part-time jobs but also help out with the younger children. They were assigned a buddy. This was back in the 1900's, long before there was television. They weren't even fundamentalists.

AA Studies said...

Long before I saw the Duggars, I encountered people like this....
___________________________________
While all this may be true, there is no doubt that the Duggars have brought their way of life to the mainstream public. Most of these new age mega families are first generation. They know nothing of Frank and Lillie Gilbreath or any other families before them. They and many of others, use the Duggars as their example of how to raise a family.

This is a blog about the Duggars and it is often discussed how long will the show last, how has it lasted this long, why/or who cares what the Duggars do, etc. which is why I mentioned the family from church to show that the Duggars have a following. They have influence over many, whether we understand why or not.

Andrea said...

To Mom in Texas: I don't know what kind of catholic church you attend, where a father and mother "cuddle" through mass, but it's definitely not like any catholic church I've ever attended. BTW, I'm Catholic. That's the thing I find most off putting about the Duggar's. No one needs to see that stuff, certainly not the general public or a TV audience. Don't get me wrong, it's lovely if a husband and wife are loving and caring towards each other in the comfort of one's home, but in public - PLEASE. Jim Bob and Michelle make me ill.

Jen said...

often times doubt or question the influence that the Duggars have over the way others live their lives. They say they do their TLC show as a "ministry" for others. Personally I never saw anyone who appeared to emulate the Duggars lifestyle other than the families on 19 kids and Counting.
-----

Long before I saw the Duggars, I encountered people like this.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I agree I have seen people like this before I even heard of the Duggars.

I have also seen people that changed to become like the Duggars ( not being on TV but dresses, homeschool, no birth control, large families, etc).

I know many families who say they feel encouraged ( yes they use the that word) by the Duggars and some even try to emulate them them.

Seriously? said...

With all due respect, it's impossible for me to put the Duggars even remotely close in comparison to the Gilbreth family.

Frank was accepted into MIT. I'm doubting JimBob even knows that MIT = Massachusetts Institute of Technology, muchless has an awareness of its prestigious academic program. JimBob get accepted into MIT? Laughable.

Lillian was a Ph.D., a psychologist as well as industrial engineer. She was the first female commencement speaker upon her college graduation.. She taught at Purdue, Bryn Mawr, and Rugters. Michelle Duggar? Well, she was a high school CHEERLEADER.

The papers authored by the Gilbreths have a place in the Smithsonian as well as on campus at Purdue. The only 'papers' the Duggars can claim are those hoky Bible Bucks and (ahem) 'Wisdom' books.

The Gilbreths were fairly current in their day, and, actually, intellectually AHEAD of their time, while the Duggar mentality predates even the Gilbreth times and mores.

The most children any of the Gilbreth offspring have had to date is four. JimBob and The Obedient One hope all their children will unthinkingly follow in their parental footsteps by having babies by the bundle.

Not much similarity between these two families. The Duggars aren't even in the same league as the Gilbreths.

Seriously? said...

With all due respect, it's impossible for me to put the Duggars even remotely close in comparison to the Gilbreth family.

Frank was accepted into MIT. I'm doubting JimBob even knows that MIT = Massachusetts Institute of Technology, muchless has an awareness of its prestigious academic program. JimBob get accepted into MIT? Laughable.

Lillian was a Ph.D., a psychologist as well as industrial engineer. She was the first female commencement speaker upon her college graduation.. She taught at Purdue, Bryn Mawr, and Rugters. Michelle Duggar? Well, she was a high school CHEERLEADER.

The papers authored by the Gilbreths have a place in the Smithsonian as well as on campus at Purdue. The only 'papers' the Duggars can claim are those hoky Bible Bucks and (ahem) 'Wisdom' books.

The Gilbreths were fairly current in their day, and, actually, intellectually AHEAD of their time, while the Duggar mentality predates even the Gilbreth times and mores.

The most children any of the Gilbreth offspring have had to date is four. JimBob and The Obedient One hope all their children will unthinkingly follow in their parental footsteps by having babies by the bundle.

Not much similarity between these two families. The Duggars aren't even in the same league as the Gilbreths.

roddma said...

"It is also said that learning to play instruments helps with learning traditional subjects. This is why some families require children to learn an instrument. The Duggar have been silent on this particular subject other than saying vioiln and piano are part of their homeschooling so it might be a reason the Duggars require instrument learning" But they are restricted to violin, harps, and piano. Secular families allow guitar and those 'evil' drums and keyboards.

Alberta Rose said...

I've read the books about both families. Both families had a large number of children, both families told the older children to help out with the younger children, both parents had their children on display, the Gilbreths by taking their children to factories, construction sites and making mini-movies. Lillian and Michelle both give lectures about raising large families, Lillian would talk about the virtues of Motion Study, Michelle about being a Christian, both women therefore spreading what they felt was the the best way to live.

AA Studies said...

Andrea said: To Mom in Texas: I don't know what kind of catholic church you attend, where a father and mother "cuddle" through mass...
___________________________________
I too am Catholic and honestly that family, amongst other things, were strange to me at this particular church. My family and I were visiting this parish. I agree that public cuddling is a bit much but this couple enjoyed it as their daughter stepped in as mom and the rest of us missed half of the service due to the little blessings and their noise. I immediately thought of Jim Bob and Michelle as well as Josh and Anna with all the pecking and excessive hand holding.

tulip said...

I personally don't know that I care if Anna (or any Duggar) is pregnant-for me, it's just the point of the whole thing. First, they're all bragging when someone is expecting, shouting it from the rooftops (or rather couch of The Today Show), then it's like it's all a big game. Rumors have been swirling for months, people on Josh's own Instagram have asked point blank if Anna is expecting. If she's not, he should just come right out and reply that no she isn't, but looking forward to another blessing if that's what God has planned, or whatever. Anytime a comment is posted on this blog (coincidence I think not) about Anna-is she or isn't she?-there's yet another pic to follow to keep the rumor train rolling. Just today, voting at the polls, Josh snapped Anna in side profile and full on belly, holding Michael with his leg skimming a high round bump. I find it utterly annoying and egotistical that they aren't just making a statement. Someone even asked Amy on her Instagram if Anna is expecting (comment related to the hanging with Jill picture), and Amy, who will usually reply to questions or comments, replied nada. That's what irks me-they know the talk is out there, and they're taking it for everything it's worth, laughing all the way to the bank.

AusNonnymouse said...

I lurked on Josh's instagram today and he has photos of both his vote, and of Anna voting. I don't know about the legalities of that in the USA, but over here in Australia that would be seen as a big no no (I doubt voting officials would even allow photos to be taken). Comments on the picture of Anna voting rightly point out that she's not freely voting if she's having her picture taken....

Don't get me started on proudly showing that you voted for a candidate that has already dropped out of the race.

Zebracrossings said...

Could Anna have been pregnant and then miscarried? Then maybe pg again? I know after I lost my second child to miscarriage, I waited until my fourth month to announce our third child...just in case. After what happened with Michelle's miscarriage of Jubilee....it would be wise of them to wait and tell. I don't even remember at what point we KNEW about Anna's miscarriage. Was that part of a show or just mentioned in a show? Was it between Mackenzie and Michael? As you start having babies....you realize it isn't always wise to make that baby announcement the day after you miss your period. Just a thought.

Elvira said...

The family doesn't even have to be secular to allow different instruments. They can even be fundamentalists. They just can't be followers of Gothard, in this case, and have a free choice of instruments.

tulip said...

I'm not sure about the voting legalities, but one thing I do know is Josh WILL follow Anna regardless. We've seen this before when Josh was "checking" to make sure Anna was voting the way she was "supposed" to be. I think as a grown woman and mother, Anna is perfectly capable of casting her own vote...just another example of control, IMO. And what's with the overexposure to promote voting anyway? Don't get me wrong, I do not in any way take for granted the opportunity to freely vote, but the Duggars always seem to have taken it over the top-stressing just how important it is to bring your children with you to vote, and to start doing it at a very young age (as evidenced now with Josh & Anna's family), wearing red, white & blue clothes or shirts with flags on them, etc. The Bates have even went out of their way to promote elections and voting. My point? Sadly, makes me wonder if it's also a Gothard thing.

MandySue said...

Elvira said...
The family doesn't even have to be secular to allow different instruments. They can even be fundamentalists. They just can't be followers of Gothard, in this case, and have a free choice of instruments
---------------------------------

Why even follow someone who gives you such little control in how you raise your kids? Why hand over control to a person who doesn't know you or who doesn't have children?

Only THIS kind of music...

Only THIS kind of clothing...

Only teach THESE subjuects....

Really you don't have a whole of control in your own life. Maybe they enjoy not having to make decesions since Gothard make them all for them.

You must be self-employed

The wife must stay at home

You must not adopt children

You must have a large family

I am not a very legalistic person and all the rules would drive me insane. Thank the Lord for grace.

ImaFan said...

When Josh and Anna were announcing her pregnancy with Michael, they mentioned a miscarriage happening between Mackynzie and the pregnancy they were announcing. Of course on the Today Show.

Hannah said...

Josh voted for Rick and had the nerve to take a picture to show he did and of Anna voting.


I think any votes for Rick don`t even count anymore, do they?

heaven said...

Anna lost a baby after Mack. It was just a few days after the test.

Jen said...

It is also said that learning to play instruments helps with learning traditional subjects. This is why some families require children to learn an instrument. The Duggar have been silent on this particular subject other than saying vioiln and piano are part of their homeschooling so it might be a reason the Duggars require instrument learning"
~~~~
But they are restricted to violin, harps, and piano. Secular families allow guitar and those 'evil' drums and keyboards.
----

The Duggar play more than violin, Harp and piano. Guitar, Trumpet, Cello, Mandolin are some that have been mentioned or shown. I believe I have heard someone mention that one of the Duggars played a a banjo too.

Violin and Piano are often instruments of required learning in even in secular families as it is said if you can play these you can play any thing.

Anonymous said...

maybe, just maybe, Josh and Anna have come to their senses and decided they don't want the world knowing every little thing that is happening in their lives.

If they are pregnant and not telling anyone, I say good for them.

Wampascat said...

Well, if she's not pregnant, wouldn't you hate to be her right now, listening to everyone talk about how fat she is?Lol. If she is pregnant, I wonder under what circumstances the delivery will take place? Modestly,of course. (snort) Don't show any female knees, but let Anna display herself for the camera crew and collect that check!!!

Seriously? said...

Ineresting logic... Michelle had at least two miscarriages and her daughter-in-law has had one to date, but somehow we are to believe those crocodile tears of Michelle's, regaling us about how it was EVIL BIRTH CONTROL that caused the first mis. On what, then, do we blame the other miscarriages?

And when Jimboob/Michelle claim "God knew what he was doing - he gave us so many girls at the beginning" ..... what are we to make of the large families who had many MALES first, that god 'forgot' what he was doing?

Voting for a guy no longer in the political race? Don't even get me started....

Not alot of logic happening in Duggar World. What did Forest Gump and his mama say? "Stupid is as stupid does...."

Alberta Rose said...

And when Jimboob/Michelle claim "God knew what he was doing - he gave us so many girls at the beginning" ..... what are we to make of the large families who had many MALES first, that god 'forgot' what he was doing?

No, because they didn't say "We feel sorry for large families who start off with boys." Of course it's a "can't win" situation. When I say "I'm glad God blessed us with a boy", I have some people blow a fuse and say "So you feel sorry for those who have an only girl!?" All it means is that I'm not interested in being involved in a girl's life 24/7 but enjoy being involved in a boy's life 24/7.

sandi said...

I would like to remind Josh that our troops fought and DIED for Anna's right to vote,and that it's not just her RIGHT to vote,it's also her freedom of choice in choosing whom SHE wants to vote for;that decision being solely made BY her,and being of no one else's business.No,not even her husband.THAT is what our troops fought and died for..our TOTAL freedom in the matter.JMO.

Wampascat said...

Yeah, and maybe God knew what he was doing when Michelle had the last miscarriage. It really stumps me how they feel God sent them the big girls to be around to help them out, but can't get the message, after Josie, that it's time to stop.

beef said...

Alberta Rose said "When I say "I'm glad God blessed us with a boy", I have some people blow a fuse and say "So you feel sorry for those who have an only girl!?" All it means is that I'm not interested in being involved in a girl's life 24/7 but enjoy being involved in a boy's life 24/7."

Hopefully you would enjoy being involved in the life of any of your children, regardless of their gender. I only have girls, which makes me very happy, but I'm pretty sure that if I only had boys that would make me very happy also.

londonbridges said...

I think it is so demeaning for Josh, or any other male, to accompany his partner into a polling booth, and ensure a 'correct' vote. My opinion is that the blessings are instructed how to live their lives, who to vote for, etc. I still do not believe that they, including Anna, have free choice. JMHO.

I think it is too late for Josh and Anna to try to maintain a hint of privacy. The toilet birth comes to mind.....

Jen said...

And when Jimboob/Michelle claim "God knew what he was doing - he gave us so many girls at the beginning" ..... what are we to make of the large families who had many MALES first, that god 'forgot' what he was doing?

----------------

This might have been a rhetorical question but I will answer.

I have heard people say that woman who were given lots of sons instead of daughters meant that God knew they mother would be able to handle the family without daughters to help.

Also when I was studying the science of reproduction it appeared that girls were more likely to be born to tired worn out mothers and to older women. It appears that Science/nature would agree with God on this.

But what does that say about Michelle?

Elvira said...

Many times I think the Duggars only hear the messages from God that they want to hear

Amelia said...

Did Josh commit election fraud? Is taking photos of the voting and being on top of Anna while she's voting a violation of election law in Arkansas? Why can Josh get away with breaking the law so often? Remember the taking photos and texting while driving.

ennvee said...

maybe, just maybe, Josh and Anna have come to their senses and decided they don't want the world knowing every little thing that is happening in their lives.

If they are pregnant and not telling anyone, I say good for them.

===================================

Can't buy this red herring. Why? Because if Josh wanted privacay, he'd make his instagram account (and Anna's) private. They know the concept; his facebook account is locked down.


Nope. The guy posts inflammatory stuff on purpose, sits back and watches the fur fly in this reply section whilst never offering commentary of his own. That's classic behavior of a narcissistic famewhore. The boy THRIVES on attention.

ImaFan said...

My thoughts exactly about mothers with sons first vs. daughters first. Also since there are a bunch of girls at the end, all those little girls will be the big girls when Michelle and JimBob are in their 60's. Therefore still having these blessings to keep house.

Alberta Rose said...

Also when I was studying the science of reproduction it appeared that girls were more likely to be born to tired worn out mothers and to older women. It appears that Science/nature would agree with God on this.

But what does that say about Michelle?

Link or source? Not only does it contradict the books I have, which you might find on a Midwife or a pro-unmedicated birth OB's bookshelf, it contradicts the search I did on Dogpile. Also, when the first two boys were born, Michelle was still very young, and when the cluster of boys arrived, she was older. On the other hand, I guess I beat the odds. At 33 and working in the file room of an Insurance Brokerage, I definitely qualified as "old and worn out" but still conceived a boy.

tulip said...

Re: ennvee's comment-my thoughts exactly. Josh constantly posts stuff to sit back and laugh. His loyal followers hang on and support his every word. Josh doesn't respond to all the back-and-forth, just posts more fuel for the fire the next day. Anna has followed right behind in Josh's footsteps becoming equally as narcissistic, basking in the limelight of all HER loyal followers comments about how pretty and amazing she is, just as Cousin Amy does. (I should compliment Amy, though, for changing her profile pic to something much more decent-photo of her & her boyfriend in sunglasses).

Although I don't know about the research regarding reproductive biology, what I DO know is Jim Bob and Michelle think they have been specially blessed by God himself with the older girls at the beginning of the line-up. And I agree that they probably feel the same with having just as many girls at the end, as they can live at home as young adults devoting themselves to cooking & taking care of the house while Jim Bob and Michelle spend quality time with each other, going out on dates and fawning over the grandbabies.

Patrice said...

I have read too, that the older a woman gets, the more likely she is to conceive a girl. It doesn't mean no older mothers will ever have a boy (I have two 35 year old nieces who both had boys this year) but it means statistically an older mother is more likely to have a girl. Something about the body chemistry, or chemistry of the older eggs or something. I'm sure the Duggars don't look at medical facts about conception; it is all about what God gives them since they have a tighter connection with him than we heathens do.

Basics said...

It's more likely older women are having relations with older men if it's an age thing with girls. Big if. It's the sperm that determines the sex of the offspring. The rest is probably not very scientific.

sandi said...

Re: I think it is so demeaning for Josh, or any other male, to accompany his partner into a polling booth, and ensure a 'correct' vote. My opinion is that the blessings are instructed how to live their lives, who to vote for, etc. I still do not believe that they, including Anna, have free choice. JMHO.

-----------------------

I agree, and a correct vote for Josh would be only those whom HE would vote for,(IMO) thus he is,in effect,getting to vote twice.I don't think he (nor any of the male Duggars) could handle it if a female disagreed with them and chose to vote,(or do anything,for that matter) contrary to what they agree with.And unfortunately,I don't think Anna will ever have the wherewithall to stand up to Josh,and he knows it.She was,after all,raised to defer her individual rights to a man,and that includes her freedom of choice and her right of whom to vote for.JMO.

ImaFan said...

Michelle was 39 when she had Johannah, and then three more girls, four if you count Jubilee. I would say being 39-45 years of age qualifies as being older and worn, not so much 33. JMO. This of course is in regard to baring children. As far as the older girls in the family being born when they were, God did know what he was doing. He knew that these two people could not possibly get along with their daily lives if not for homegrown, live in help. I'm not saying I'd be able to take care of it all on my own with 19. I'm also saying I would never have had 19 kids in the first place.

Seriously? said...

There is such a thing as junk science. Any jackwagon can throw together a bunch of suppositions and theories and pretend there is a cause and effect. (Gothard, I'm speaking to you and your uber conservative baa-ing flock.)

Until someone can point me to some robustly scientific studies that statistically validate the theory that maternal age at conception coupled with maternal levels of being 'worn' (how would one even begin to scientifically measure such an ambiguous concept as being 'worn'?) bears on fetal gender, I'm not buying.

Neither do I buy the Duggar thing about god specifically sending them girls to help out around the house. Or boys to help pay the bills when the parents out-produce their income (Yes, Bates fam, I'm speaking to you.)

In fact, the idea that any of us are SO, SO special to god that we warrant THIS kind of individualized oversight seems arrogant to me.

Each of these theories seem equally implausible IMO.

hello said...

Anonymous Amelia said...

Did Josh commit election fraud? Is taking photos of the voting and being on top of Anna while she's voting a violation of election law in Arkansas? Why can Josh get away with breaking the law so often? Remember the taking photos and texting while driving.

5/24/2012 8:50 AM
---------------------------------
I am not sure about Arkansas laws regarding someone going in the voting booth with someone. I am an election worker in NJ and in order for someone to accompany someone into the booth, there has to be a good reason and a paper needs to be filled out. I don't think not trusting your wife to vote the way you want her to is a good reason. It goes to show just how much Josh likes to be in charge and be his wife's authority figure in all aspects of her life. I think Josh needs to be more concerned about his health these days. He is looking like a middle aged man rather than a man in his twenties.

tulip said...

What about Kelly Bates? Same age as Michelle and number of kids, and Kelly's pretty much had a variety with only 3 girls in a row at a time, and her last two babies have been boys.

Josh just blew a whole bunch more money on yet another "new sign" for the carlot, as posted on Instagram. Hmmm...thought things were pretty slow these days last time we saw the talking heads commentary. Far cry from just a couple seasons ago when he was trying to draw attention to the lot by screwing on old license plates to the front fence.

Alberta Rose said...

In fact, the idea that any of us are SO, SO special to god that we warrant THIS kind of individualized oversight seems arrogant to me.

Some farmers will pray for strapping sons to help carrying on the family line and do the big chores, plus a few girls to help do the gardening and small animal tending. There are some women who want more then one child so they pray to start off with a girl to help care for the others. A tomboy might pray for boys so she'll have kids she can have fun with and a girly girl will pray for girls so she'll have kids she has something in common with. A couple or a woman who plan to have only one child might pray for a certain gender, based on their interests or abilities.

I know based on mine and my husband's experiences, you need to tread lightly when you talk about how God blessed you with a certain gender. It's going to be worse for Jim Bob and Michelle, because they are in the public eye.

sandi said...

Jim Bob and Michelle have always said,with each new pregnancy,that they didn't care what sex the baby was.Does this prove differently,I wonder?

sandi said...

I can find no valid,scientific studies that indicate an older woman is more likely to give birth to a girl.If I'm missing something,then someone please post a link.Thanks.

zebracrossings said...

The election day/voting picture of Anna is NOT in a voting booth. The little computer screens are set up and don't really provide that much privacy. For Josh to take this picture, he is WAY too close to give her complete privacy in voting. THere should have been an election official who would have stopped him from taking this picture and stopped him from getting that close to her. BUT if he is voting at the next little computer screen and he can STILL see her screen from his point of view...then these people in Arkansas need to set up their little computer screens at a more discreet distance. So...1. He is in her space and should have been told to stay back (shame on Josh & officials as well)or 2. He is voting right next her (shame on officials for setting up this way). Josh could have taken a picture of his wife voting from across the room with the BACK of the screen showing. Even this is questionable. What is the standard for picture taking in election arena? I am stumped.
I took my little brother with me to vote one time (one of those closed-in booths with the drapes drawn. He announced loudly (not knowing this was suppose to be a secret) who I had voted for! My bad.

Jen said...

Here is an article that talks about stress and the likelihood of having a girl.

http://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/stressed-women-more-likely-have-baby-girls/

Here is a quote from the article

"But cortisol levels—which can spike with chronic stress—were linked with a bias for female offspring. Women who tested with the highest cortisol levels pre-conception had a 75% lower chance of giving birth to a boy.

Keep these results in your “maybe so” file for now. As I note above, they haven’t yet been published in peer-reviewed journal, and I haven’t read the study. Moreover, we don’t know if it’s stress per se that’s responsible for the link with baby girls, or another factor that’s correlated with stress. Like an impaired immune system.

But given the other evidence, there’s reason to think researchers might be onto something.
And for evolutionary biologists, the results are particularly interesting."

Thus a possbible reasoning why the older girls were born to Michelle in a early cluster from here stress and the stressed relieve a cluster of boys.

Jen said...

Here is another article that talks about the study of stress birth rate of girls.

"The study will be presented at the American Society for Reproductive Medicine conference in Orlando." (ANI)

Jen said...

Sorry forgot the link to the second article

http://www.topnews.in/health/stressed-women-more-likely-have-baby-girls-213399

Jen said...

Here is a scientific study that showed a 7% increase of girls over boys born to mothers of advanced age.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/12/10/2321.full.pdf

Michigander1969 said...

The environment of the mother's body plays a big role in determining which sperm survive. Male and female sperm are supposed to have different charastics....move faster, survive longer, endure acidic environments, better, etc.


>>>>>It's more likely older women are having relations with older men if it's an age thing with girls. Big if. It's the sperm that determines the sex of the offspring. The rest is probably not very scientific.>>>>>

Patrice said...

Thank you, Jen. I knew I wasn't making it up.

Woman of Choice said...

The Duggar and Gothardite men are given way too much credit and the women not nearly enough! It seems to me that many of these women have chosen a stay-at-home lifestyle. Doesn't that fall under "a women's right to choose"? And the men have chosen to live a family lifestyle of just one income, earned by their own hard work. Remember, the Duggars were doing pretty well financially on just the money JimBob was earning, long before TLC came along. Now they're doing REALLY well!
"THE MAN MAY BE THE HEAD OF THE FAMILY BUT THE WOMAN IS THE NECK, AND SHE TURNS THE HEAD ANYWAY SHE WANTS." (My Big Fat Greek Wedding)

Alberta Rose said...

For every scientific theory, there is a countering scientific theory. My brother and SIL heard all the scientific theories about why they wouldn't be able to conceive anymore children, and when they did, why it would be a third girl. That's why my nephew's name means "Gift from God".

I know the science of conception and of gender selection. I also know that on my FIL's family tree, it usually took 3 or 4 years for the firstborn to arrive, and 5 to 7 years later there might be another one. The firstborn was always a boy, the second born occasionally a girl, usually a boy. That's why I wasn't surprised when our firstborn was a boy, nor was I surprised when after 18 months my husband said "I'm beginning to think you're right, God doesn't want us to have anymore children" and after 22 months, he gave up During that 22 month time span, I did everything They Say, The Professionals Say and even Old Wives Say to conceive a second child.

I am like Michelle Duggar, I believe that God knows how many children a couple can raise, and what gender. Some people respect that, other people think I'm hiding behind religion to justify only having one child, just as some people respect Jim Bob and Michelle's choice to let God dictate how many children, others think they are just a pair of ignorant hicks who can't control their sexual urges.

Seriously? said...

Hey, THANKS for the references to the articles about gender determinants. Very interesting reading. JMO, the articles relate merely anecdotal data at this point. LOTS more research needs to be done and statistically validated before I'll be a believer in any of the theories discussed here.

Most ESPECIALLY the 'god knew what he was doing and, so, sent us lots of girls early' to paraphrase the Duggars.....

JMO. And I really appreciate the references, so thank you.

sandi said...

Thanks for the links everyone.My own thought is I suspect it may have something to do with female dna being hardier in times of duress.

sandi said...

After getting such an overdose of Josh's arrogance,I can only say I'm really looking fwd to seeing the Bates new show.Zach in particular seems like such a gentleman,and imo,we will never see the type of behavior the Duggars ,particularly Josh and Jim Bob,exhibit.JMO.

tulip said...

Yes, I too hope to see more of Zach & Sarah-I'm hoping they are still together. Zach seems very humble and respectful, Sarah seems sweet. I'd also like to see more of Lawson, wondering what he's up to. I just hope they don't have too many episodes with the Duggars-I already know there's an ATI family camp episode, with the Duggars, since Josh posted a pic of the scene being filmed on Instagram...and of course the pic was of Jim Bob talking to the camera with Gil standing in the background. I'm sure Josh was in the waiting ready to give his talking head commentary as well. Too bad they even manage to take the spotlight on someone else's show.

Seriously? said...

"...Isuspect it may have something to do with female dna being hardier in times of duress."

HA! Don't tell Gothard! He seems to need to hold onto the belief that women are the weaker sex, always needful of the almighty guidance of a patriarch.

Mastermind said...

I predict that Zach Bates and Sarah will get married in the next few days and they are trying to keep is secret for their show. that's why it's been all quiet on the Bates' website. All of the Duggars will dominate the background and we'll get to hear how good friends they all are and more speculation as to will and Duggars marry any Bates. How's that for going out on a limb?

Alberta Rose said...

was thinking this morning: if a big part of your Christian religious beliefs is all about making money (re: Jim Sammons and Bill Gothard) then you haven't been listening to what Jesus said and how Jesus lived. He didn't say "Blessed are the rich" you know. It seems like the Duggars might be camels trying to pass through the eyes of needles.

It's not about MAKING money, it's about being a giver to food banks, staying off WIC and other government assistance programs, about being able to cover your share of mission trip expenses, about having enough money to pay for heat and electricity, having the money to go on trips, to be able to help those IN need, not to be a person IN need. Biblicaly, even Billy Graham talks about spending your money wisely. Secular, talk to any banker and they'll tell you to spend your money wisely.

Mississippi Magnolia said...

I feel so sorry for the Duggars! The poor things are going to have to start paying $5 a head to play broom ball at a place where they've been playing FREE for years! You can tell it's upsetting to them, as Josh has posted a picture of the "rate increase" (from NOTHING) to his Instagram account.

Jen said...

"was thinking this morning: if a big part of your Christian religious beliefs is all about making money (re: Jim Sammons and Bill Gothard) then you haven't been listening to what Jesus said and how Jesus lived. He didn't say "Blessed are the rich" you know. It seems like the Duggars might be camels trying to pass through the eyes of needles."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It's not about MAKING money, it's about being a giver to food banks, staying off WIC and other government assistance programs, about being able to cover your share of mission trip expenses, about having enough money to pay for heat and electricity, having the money to go on trips, to be able to help those IN need, not to be a person IN need. Biblicaly, even Billy Graham talks about spending your money wisely. Secular, talk to any banker and they'll tell you to spend your money wisely."
--------------------------------
Hubby and I were just discussing this before this post came up today (and I must of missed the older original post).

My heart so wants it to not be about money. My mind is having a hard time not seeing it about money especially when I look at the Gothard store website and see the Duggar's books, Gil Bates's seminar titled Supporting a Family of 19 with No Salary, and the many dvds/cd of testimonies, just to name a few things, all for sale.

Add the money Gothard makes from all the camps, seminars, books,phamphlets,etc. Isn't his company/ministry worth millions? What does he do with with the profits of his non profit?

In my world, Christians share their testimonies, knowledge, and talents with and while ministering for free, not sell them. They do this all while making money in other ways, keeping their families off government support, and sharing their money with those less fortunate.

In my heart, I feel ministry and encouragement should not be a Capitalistic venture.

I so want the Duggars and Gothard to not be all about money, if it isn't I need help seeing it.

Wampascat said...

I'm sure Jim Bob will figure out a way to play free broom ball. After all, it's a privilege to serve that wholesome family, right ?And it's their God given right to take advantage of whoever they please.

Seriously? said...

"I feel so sorry for the Duggars! The poor things are going to have to start paying $5 a head to play broom ball at a place where they've been playing FREE for years! You can tell it's upsetting to them, as Josh has posted a picture of the "rate increase" (from NOTHING) to his Instagram account."

I'm sure this rate increase is a vast 'elitist, liberal (godless)' conspiracy against all that is holy!

Quick, somebody call Rick Santorum to FIX this for the Duggars.

Elvira said...

That Gothard seems to be one big money making machine is one of my major complaints about him also. First he encourages people not get higher education, then have huge families that they can't support, and then add the burden of attending one his overpriced annual gatherings. Thank goodness my church has more sense. Most people where I go have some education beyond high school, use birth control, and no one is pressured to attend anything with a mandatory charge.

Hannah said...

I heard it was only free on Fridays and Saturdays according to the website.


They can`t pay for broom ball but can go to Olive Garden. The bill has to be at least 300. If TLC isn`t paying for it.

tulip said...

The sign showing the increased rates seemed very straight-forward, and letting people know if they have questions to contact management was very matter-of-fact, no "we're sorry" or anything like that. Almost seems to me the rink is sick and tired of Josh and his gang goofing around and tearing up the place for free when they've most certainly got plenty of cash to pay a small fee to use it. Then Josh actually responds, and says they should be thankful for the time they've had up to this point? Ugh! Give me a break-why take a picture of the sign, as if he's annoyed, then in the first place?

Next they went to Olive Garden for Grandma's birthday, and hey, she deserves it! But, he doesn't even include a picture of Grandma!, just his wife-AGAIN-for the upteenth time posing by a plate of food with a plastered smile on her face, all the while with comments about how pretty she is, blah, blah-ugh again! Jinger posing with flatbread and Josie looking awkward behind a bowl of noodles-but absolutely no pic of Grandma. Comments about Jinger's pretty hair and how cute Josie is, but nothing from Josh's loyal followers to give a shout out of Happy Birthday to Grandma. Absolutely egotistical, narcissistic and people following around Josh and Anna like they're Will and Kate.

imaamy said...

One of the instagram comments did say happy birthday to Grandma Duggar. Maybe she doesn't want to be photographed when it isn't part of the show?

tulip said...

Grandma Duggar has been photographed numerous times for things other than the show, not to mention featured on Amy's Instagram many times. Anyway, my point is instead of Josh simply showing some kind of a group photo or Olive Garden sign, or whatever and simply posting "Happy Birthday Grandma!", he has to, once again, make it about himself. Posting Anna, so the followers comment how pretty she is, makes him look good and shows off his pride in his wife and family. Posting Josie makes him look like the sweet big brother, etc. The Happy Bday comments and from the Valdez family were not posted earlier...one can draw his own conclusion

NotaKateFan said...

Regarding the election pictures:

Our polling place (in MD) has signs which indicate that no cameras are allowed in the voting areas at all. In the last presidential election, there was a long line into the hallway and one of the people in front of me was a newly naturalized American citizen who was voting for the first time. She wanted her picture taken while voting and the election judge said "no". The judge allowed us to take this new citizen's picture in the hallway area though, in front of an election 2008 sign. I don't buy the voting picture at all, I think Josh did a big no-no.

As far as helping Anna to vote, I know that I took my teenager with me to the mid term election voting in 2010. He was 13 at the time but he is tall and could look older than he actually is. The election judge stopped me when I tried to take him into the booth with me and told me that he had to stand off to the side. Apparently he was getting too old to be in the booth with me (I had never had issues taking my younger elementary school aged kids in with me.) Their policy was that little kids could be with you but older kids had no business watching you vote. Again, Josh had no business watching Anna vote. I'd never allow my husband to watch me vote and definitely would have words to say if he took pictures of me voting. Uncool, tacky, controlling - ick!

Sarah J said...

Maybe the pictures of Josh being with Anna while voting and their voting selections should be forwarded to the government. Both of those actions wouldn't be allowed in Canada at all. Anyone in the area? I would think that it would at least make their votes void.
Just because they are 'celebrities' I don't think that should be allowed to be above government procedures.

tulip said...

We were talking about this, and my cousin told me last time she was voting, there was a girl who had just turned 18 and it was her first time voting. Her dad asked if he could take her picture next to the booth and they said it really wasn't allowed, but directed them to the entrance of the polling place where there was a "Vote Today" sign with the date, etc. and that was the only place they could allow a photo. I don't see why Josh didn't just do something like that, since he obviously just HAD to take a picture to post for all to see-more of him trying to act like (or actually think) he can do whatever he wants. Interesting how everyday people have the common sense to ask if it would be appropriate or allowed do something, whereas Josh doesn't give a second thought-he just does.

Porcupine Pie said...

There are new family portraits up on the Duggars Picasa site (wasn't sure if I'm allowed to post the link, maybe Sharla can?)

The pic of Josh and Anna is quite interesting. I am not a pro at photoshopping at all, but there seems to be something strange going on with Anna's finger? Were they trying to photoshop her belly or does she have a wonky finger? Hmmm......

Sharla said...

Picasa photo album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101532170424444521371/DuggarFamily2012#

Hannah said...

Josh takes a picture of a booth to get a free cell phone from the government. Here is what her had to say

This store also sells lottery tickets, beer & cigarettes...but not all free!



Its not bad if a someone who doesn`t have a TV show to support him give them a free phone. Does he ever think before he posts?

Alberta Rose said...

I'd say a wonky finger. I'd also say if I was trying to cover up a pregnancy, that's a perfect shirt to wear, because it just makes me look chunky, not pregnant. I think they're taking a page from the book of Palin.

tulip said...

Something was definitely doctored with that photo of Anna. And to me, she still looks pregnant-the shirt doesn't help her case, although I do agree, they look like they chose that style to try and cover something up. The wrinkles in that crepe-like fabric look like they were formed from either sitting or around a (pregnant) belly-or IMO, both.

I was surprised at some of the comments people wrote about the pictures-definitely not all fans, that's for sure.

A few other observations: Jim Bob & Michelle in their blue shirts, and Michelle looks like she's wearing a heavy duty push-up bra under hers. Josh looks like he's doing all he can to suck it in. And, I hope Josiah is okay...he looks unusually thin and frail, almost like he has some underlying medical condition. Jim Bob once mentioned he has always been smaller than "normal", and I think in one of their books they mentioned he had a heart condition when he was born. The house is too rough and makes for a rather unsightly backdrop. Hope it's not Josh & Anna's new place.

MandySue said...

It bothers mr that one of the pics is of the four older girls and it says Duggar sisters. Like the others don't count. How dies that make Joy Anna feel?

Hannah said...

Josh took a photo when being pulled over? They didn`t see his tags. Why would he consider the law when voting?

Beth Anne said...

Re: the Picasa album pictures...

I'm sorry, but if my husband and I ever take pictures wearing matchy-matchy outfits and posing like Heidi and Spencer, with plastered smiles galore, please shoot me!

Alberta Rose said...

I'm sorry, but if my husband and I ever take pictures wearing matchy-matchy outfits and posing like Heidi and Spencer, with plastered smiles galore, please shoot me!

Some professional photographers suggest that as a theme. Also, some people consider it romantic when a couple wears matchy matchy outfits.

Elvira said...

One thing I think we need to remember is that some people doing something doesn't make it right or justify anyone else doing it.

I once had an idiot car salesman tell me x number of people couldn't be wrong. Of course, they can.

Patrice said...

I wonder if that is a Gothard thing too. I know whenever they go out in public, they say wearing matching clothes helps them to keep track of everyone. When you see their footage of ATI conferences or similar, all the families are dressed in theme colors. Maybe cute when kids are 5 and under, but no way 20-somethings should be dressed like their toddler siblings. Nor should the parents feel they have to keep track of their 20-somethings' every move. In fact, why are 20 year olds still going to school conferences? But then that whole theme has been hashed over and over again. I think it is just another sign of control/dominance by the parents/Gothard, and a feeling of the children just being possessions, rather than individuals. Sad! As far as Boob and Michelle go, they are still living in their high school days, so maybe they think dressing alike just adds to their "cuteness". gag!

tulip said...

Photographers do usually suggest a theme/similar colors, but the Duggars would have done that anyway. Especially recently, when Jim Bob & Michelle make an appearance or are on a talk show, they are always matchy-matchy. And, remember before Josh & Anna were married?-they always wore matching colors/shirts (I remember those hideous brown shirts they wore, I think when Jinger was taking their engagement photos) The episode when they were photographed for People mag. they all chose blue, and the cover of the newest book, it's all pastels like pinks, light blues/yellows, etc. It does look coordinated, but I just wish they would leave the pink shirts to the girls. A couple of the boys always end up in pink shirts (totally unnecessary when there are so many other colors to choose from), and one is usually always Josiah. Jim Bob wouldn't be caught dead in a pink shirt. Some guys like pink shirts and would choose it, but with the Duggars, it's like they leave whatevers leftover to the kids that maybe aren't as popular without giving them a choice.

Jen said...

When you see their footage of ATI conferences or similar, all the families are dressed in theme colors

---------
I guess the matchy matchy are the parents and children up to 7 years of age.

The rest have a uniform daily dress code for the ATI conference based on age range and gender.

Examples of daily uniform dress code.

young men 12 and over
navy or black slacks, white dress shirt, professional shoes and tie

Ladies 12 to 15 ( Solid navy or black mid calf skirt, solid white blouse with a modest fit and collar casual or dress shoes

Pre embassy ( pre excel ) girls 8 to 11
Burgundy shirt, navy or khaki skirt khaki bucket hat and tennis shoes ( bucket hat and burgundy shirt picked up and check in)

There are a few more catatogories like Alert for the boys 8 and up that have dress code too

Here is the brochure fore the 2012 conference
http://ati.iblp.org/ati/events/regionalconferences/documents/2012conferenceguide.pdf?show=true

Andrea said...

I think it's pretty obvious that the Duggar's are not dressing themselves. They most have a stylist (or team of stylists), they hire to takes care of buying and matching their outfits. I don't think Michelle or any of the older girls would be capable in styling to that degree, in light of how many of them there are. I also don’t think they’re buying used and saving the difference. That said, in the latest photo shoot Jim Bob and Michelle looked awful. Husbands and wives should never dress in matching outfits in my opinion, but maybe I'm just a know nothing city slicker. Love the comments on Anna’s photoshop finger – too funny. Also, Jim Bob Jr, I mean Josh, isn’t aging well!! That said, I think the oldest adult daughters and Joy-Anne looked great! And really, the little kids are just so cute.

Jen said...

"In fact, why are 20 year olds still going to school conferences?"

-------------------------------

Jana and Jill (twenty and over) with their graduated sisters Jinger and Jessa are going as speakers at the conference, according to brochure for the 2012 conference.

Other over 18 girls can apply to be teachers at the children academy.

Josh is probably going to the family conferences with Anna.

Even though the Duggars call it the homeschooling conference the ATI brochure calls them training conferences.

ImaFan said...

I am sure that other religions have their conferences too. It seems though that this particular group seems a bit, dare I say, cult like IMO. I don't know much about the Gothard way of living other than what is discussed here and from watching the show. All I can say is that it isn't for everyone and I certainly would not subject my family to it all. I am sure in theory there are some really good principles. I am also sure that one can learn and obtain those same principles without being a complete sheep. It isn't hard to live without credit and be debt free, you just have to bite the bullet and do it. Home schooling is not for everyone just as public/private school is not for everyone. That being said, home schooled kids should still be getting adequate educations even while being home schooled. Gothard curriculum does not seem to be cutting it IMO, from what I've read and seen from the show. I once considered myself a patient person, there is no way that anyone with 19 kids isn't absolutely crazy by the end of the day. JimBob seems to always be out of the house and is terrible with the young girls when alone, IMO. A monkey could have done Johannah's hair better. Sorry that might be rude, it's just how I feel.

Betty said...

Debt free as a religious principle seems kind of odd to me as I know a lot of heathens/pagans who are debt free and see it simply as a sound money management philosophy.

Alberta Rose said...

One thing I think we need to remember is that some people doing something doesn't make it right or justify anyone else doing it.

True that. For example, I advocate for women to have birthing choices, instead of doing what the hospital, OB and insurance providers say they are supposed to do. Some people think it's wrong for women to have that much freedom of choice. One of the things Michelle Duggar and I have in common is staunch supporters of Vaginal Birth After Cesearean. I've even pointed out Michelle as an example of what "I can" thinking is about to pregnant women who aren't sure about vaginally birthing twins after a cesearean.

Nancy said...

Anna spotted on the street today. The person who saw her said she was "either pregnant or had just swallowed a watermelon."

FWIW.

Nikki said...

Where do you see comments with regards to the picasa family pictures?

tulip said...

I saw the comments on Picasa pics by just clicking on each individual picture, and at the bottom are comments people left. For example, the photo of just Josh standing there sucking in his belly, someone commented he looked like he had man boobs. Wonder if the Duggars know about these comments yet...as soon as they do, there will be some kind of damage control, or a blog post by Michelle about withstanding persecution.

Alberta Rose said...

saw the comments on Picasa pics by just clicking on each individual picture, and at the bottom are comments people left. For example, the photo of just Josh standing there sucking in his belly, someone commented he looked like he had man boobs. Wonder if the Duggars know about these comments yet...as soon as they do, there will be some kind of damage control, or a blog post by Michelle about withstanding persecution.

Another way she's inspirational. Too many women bow to pressure and give up an idea to become more accepted by Mainstream Society.

Patrice said...

* there will be some kind of damage control, or a blog post by Michelle about withstanding persecution.*

Yep, the Duggars (or their TLC managers)are definitely good at twisting and turning everything to add to their self-proclaimed "Godliness". Not really fooling the great majority of people though. I think we can all see through them by now.

Hannah said...

Josh takes a picture of a piece of kind of construction vehicle on fire,he says he called it to 911. He also takes a picture of his phone dialing 911. Its not something to gloat about?

tulip said...

Josh must not have went out to eat today or had a date night, so had to find something else worthy of posting...a fire!-guess he got lucky. What, he had to prove he called 911 by taking a pic? Ugh.

MandySue said...

One of the commentors on the fire pic put up a scripture reference. It was the one about not bragging when you helped your neighbor. I wonder if that is one of the verses that the Duggars realize is in the Bible

Jen said...

Have the Duggars stated if they only read one translation of the bible? If so what version did they say they read King James? New American Standard? One of many others ones?

Seriously? said...

"Josh takes a picture of a piece of kind of construction vehicle on fire,he says he called it to 911. He also takes a picture of his phone dialing 911."

This is the behavior of a not-so-bright 10 year old.

And to think HE, as the eldest and, of course, a MALE, is the Duggar Flagship model, another Gothard approved patriarch.

Gothard. Duggars. Patriarchy. Laughable, all.

tulip said...

New pic on Amy's Instagram shows John David helping out under the hood of their car-usually when I see John he's hard at work, unlike Josh who spends his time taking a picture of a glass of orange juice or having his wife pose beside plates of food as a prop (not real smart when her weight is under the microscope) Anna posted a pic of Josh and his group hanging out at the rink, and says no more free broomball-again with sulking over the terrible loss of FREE broomball, acting like it's a sin for a business to actually charge for this goofy activity. What's with these people? Anna also posts a pic of Michael sitting at the compound family table eating spaghetti-although a fairly cute pic, I feel sorry for these kids...their photo albums growing up will all be pictures in restaurants & fast food places and eating. Hope they don't end up overweight, or they'll have that to look back on.

Pippa said...

Is there ANYTHING more narcissistic than someone taking a picture of their morning orange juice and POSTING IT?!!! Good Heavens!

Alberta Rose said...

I think it's pretty obvious that the Duggar's are not dressing themselves. They most have a stylist (or team of stylists), they hire to takes care of buying and matching their outfits. I don't think Michelle or any of the older girls would be capable in styling to that degree, in light of how many of them there are. I also don’t think they’re buying used and saving the difference. That said, in the latest photo shoot Jim Bob and Michelle looked awful. Husbands and wives should never dress in matching outfits in my opinion, but maybe I'm just a know nothing city slicker.

No, because I live in a city of one million and see couples wearing matching outfits or even families. I'm not referring to hockey, football or lacrosse games, I'm referring to being on the train and seeing a couple in matching power suits give a good-bye kiss because one's station is before the other, or seeing couples in his & her's matching shirts, or mother/son outfits if the mom likes the same colours as her son or fahter/daughter outfits if the daughter is a tomboy.

«Oldest ‹Older   201 – 319 of 319   Newer› Newest»