Free Discussion, March, 2014
Please use this for Duggar and Bates sightings, speculation, or general discussion. Note that this is Duggar discussion not other families, TV shows, politics, religion, or personal stories. If the comment is more about you or some other issue than the actual Duggars or Bateses or other families seen on the show, please rethink before sending. Thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
321 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 201 – 321 of 321Glad not to see Josh, Anna and their kids dragging along on these book appearances. It seems they got the message from the general public that they all looked ridiculous. Now, if JimBob & Michelle would get it too, go home and take the other kids with you; they need to sleep and go to school. Oh, MOTY, can't do it without the 4 nannies to take care of such things. the parents should also each have a little buddy; not be each other's. That's a waste of 2 buddies.. Give the girls/slaves a life of their own.
I just saw the "Huffington Post" interview for the first time. Michelle, please pay attention to that poor little Josie.She is the child you worried about so much and prayed over 24/7. She was sleeping through the entire interview. Don't you realize that child is still an at risk baby? Believe me, she certainly is. All the little ones were exhausted and should not be expected to sit quietly through theses interviews. They belong at home having "happy nappy time." My other comment is they no longer need JimBob there to spout off the party line Jill has it all down. She is more like a parrot than a young woman!
As far as "the party's consent" to listen in oh phone calls, read texts is concerned, the consent is a requirement. Emotional blackmail IMHO. The adult girls don't know any different. That is the sad part of it.
At least the Duggars are no longer "Counting". Now they are "Courting". Did they change the promo? What I saw just had Jim Bob holding Michelle in a "carrying her over the threshold" kind of hold and twirling her back and forth. I didn't take it as a sexual move at all.
On the contrary, IMO the kids actually may not be embarrassed by JB & Michelle's behavior since they've had to put up with it all their lives, at this point it prob. doesn't phase them in the least. In an excerpt from the girls Cosmo interview, Jessa says she will get kissing advice from her parents because they're pretty good kissers and they're always kissing in public. Eew, I don't know about anyone else but I really wouldn't be interested in getting kissing advice from my parents, just a bit too weird. She also says she'll ask Josh since he's been married for 5 years (hopefully 5 years has been enough time to work on it since that first kiss up on the alter in front of the whole place when he nearly attacked Anna like something from Animal Kingdom. Yuck.) Even in the episode of JB & Michelle renewing their vows, when they were carrying on while she was trying to hang decorations, the kids didn't even flinch.
JB has always talked and/or joked about sex from the beginning. Even in the special when they moved in to the house, when Michelle commented on how romantic the bedroom looked JB chimed in with a huge grin "baby number 15!" (or whichever number was next) Most recently though it's even more gross to me when they kept talking about it in interviews (in relation to the girls book) with the whole family present. The word "sex" has been said multiple times in front of all the little kids, but using the word "pregnant" is taboo? ("expecting" is what's appropriate) They think it's a great idea to tag along the whole family so Jennifer, Hannie & Jackson can hear about the subject of sex? And why are all the kids having to galavant all over the place and sign books, including Kynzie? This is all just plain weirdo.
What baffles my mind about the "4older girls" is this: how could they possibly comment on "Miley" and "Justin" when I highly doubt that they have ever even seen a photograph of these two people, or have surely never seen a video of theirs or have never listened to any of their music? Any of the above possibilities would defraud their minds. The Duggar girls speak about life from the back row as if they lived a "front row" life. They preach from absolutely no experience other than through the bus's glass window being drive around by their parents.
I think JimBob and Michelle are making a mockery of Jessa's courtship. If they are the serious Christian, mature parents that they claim to be, a decision to marry someone and be with them for life is the most important decision that Jessa will ever make. She does not need parents exploiting her time with that young boy, Ben, and acting like idiots on the kids' "date". If anyone needs a chaperone, it's the parents.
The whole gang has to go on the book signing tour because JB and Michelle could never handle taking care of the little ones by themselves. It is easier for them to travel around than to be home and do laundry, cook and clean and home school the kids. JB and Michelle have no responsibilities when they travel, they walk around holding hands and the buddies watch the kids. They are a selfish pair.
Quite possibly they changed the promo after TLC saw the comments on it. The one I saw was definitely not a carry over the threshold position. JB was directly behind Michelle and rocking backward and forward. His intention may not have been sexual, but the picture he presented was very easily interpreted that way.
I don't know if any changes were made after the initial airing of the promo many are commenting on but Betty & I absolutely saw the same promo and it was sexual in nature. Jim Bob is behind Michelle(very close to her) and rocking back & forth, as they swing the golf club on the miniature golf course. Michelle laughing and saying to Jessa and Ben you can't do this yet. Don't know what else that could that be? Although ,Nancy could well be correct about the promo she saw. If TLC didn't pull the 1st one the certainly should!
I also cannot believe how Jill has the party line down. In fact, when the woman doing the Huffington Post interview asked one question, Jim Bob turned and look at the girls and said; "Jill."? She then spouted off what Jim Bob & Michelle wanted to hear. Of course, she giggled the entire time she was speaking. It's actually very sad that Jim Bob & Michelle would put their daughters in such an embarrassing position. You can absolutely tell that these girls had nothing to do with writing this book. It will be interesting if they do an audio as I believe it will be strictly Jill all the way on that!
Re: Josiah. I feel badly that for quite some time I really disliked Josiah. I thought he was rude& obnoxious. Just a Josh in training. I regret that now, as I realize he is just a sensitive young man who was coming into his teen years and I think seeking attention for himself. He certainly wasn't getting it from his parents. I thought he was being a pain to the crew asking question after question. But I think he really has a desire to learn what's beyond the walls of the Duggar compound. I remember that he asked the most insightful &interesting questions when they traveled. He was very interested in the archeologist aat Stonehenge.
I am watching the reruns of the Duggar trip to Europe. What I notice is that Jana has Josie attached to HER hip. Michelle and Jimbob euphorically walk hand in hand oblivious of the fact that 18 kids are walking behind them. Ridiculuous! Jana should hand Josie over to her mother and remind her that Josie is Michelle's daughter. That will never happen because the kids are trained for absolute compliance. So many clear indications that these kids have no choice at all regarding anything in their lives despite what their parents spew out there to us.
The girls' opinions in their "book" seem to indicate that they are of the belief that even other more moderate Christian or God believing people live a sinful, slutty life and sleep with anyone out there. They don't think that one can have a relationship with a guy/girl that doesn't include sex. Hasn't anyone elightened them that they are so totally wrong? I would like to hear them address this issue.
Josh Duggar had a very offensive post on his Twitter account. It was about the Malaysian plane that is still lost, with all the lost souls as well. It was a fake Craigslist ad for a slightly used airplane going cheap, sold by terrorists, and showed a photo of the lost plane. #humor. People lambasted him for his extremely poor taste and he took it down. It has been my experience that when young adults have been raised in a very strict family they don't know how to handle freedom when they are on their own. Josh did not get to see much of the internet before he got married and has no idea how to handle himself online. Plus, he has no idea that his family's ideas are extreme and sometimes shocking to the rest of the world. If they are people of such wonderful character, why do they need to be deleting heartless posts and changing the promo for their new show because it was sexually suggestive?
Re: their trip to Stonehenge.
I was hoping the "renouned archeologist" as Anna described the gentleman/guide they had, would mention a find that was over 6000 years old. They absolutely believe the earth is 6000 yrs old as per their belief. I would have loved to see how they would have reacted to that information.
Jimbob, once again, embarrassed us Americans, by acting like a fool while over there. They also showed a lack of knowledge once again, the females primarily wore improper footwear. They had flip flops with no socks. Don't they know that the British Isles are primarily a cold and damp climate? You don't travel with improper shoes.
P.S. I forgot to mention, that I have never seen Michelle with flip flops or anything but those ugly slip on gum soled matronly shoes. Why doesn't she have naked feet like her daughters?
Surprised to see Grandma Mary stayed out of this book tour thing. I am hoping Grandma moves into her own house. I would love to see Michelle's face if she came home from the book tour and Grandma was gone. Run Grandma, run!
To continue my comments on Josiah.
I felt sorry that he was apparently chastised for his reaction to the announcement of Jubilee. I believe he saw the potential for a serious medical problem with either his mom or the baby and he was right! Then he had to become a mourner along with the rest of the family, all the while with cameras in his face. What a terrible thing to do to such a sensitive young man. Something like that during teen years might prevent a teen from ever wanting to see his own spouse go through a pregnancy( I saw that happen with my daughter's friend.) He saw what his parents couldn't or wouldn't see. He appears to be extremely kind & patient with the younger kids. Now he's at "Alert Training." God only knows what he did to deserve that. Again, I regret the undeserved dislike I had for this young man for so long. I think a few of those kids still have potential with the right education, training & encouragement. Josiah stands out along with JoyAnna(although I see her becoming as subdued as Jana) Then Hannie comes to mind along with Jordyn. After all Jordyn was making her own breakfast at age 2...instant oatmeal with cold water. They could really go places in life with the right encouragement.
You can absolutely tell that these girls had nothing to do with writing this book. It will be interesting if they do an audio as I believe it will be strictly Jill all the way on that!
--
The girls take turns narrating the book so I think it would be quite awkward to have Jill's voice saying something like "I (Jessa)..." They will probably do one and it would be all 4 of them.
Also the reason the whole family is going is because they are also promoting the other two books that Jim Bob and Michelle wrote. They said that on a local TV news show.
What really concerns me for the Duggar daughters is all this chaperone nonsense could be putting them in danger. A young man isn't going to hit her or yell at her in front of someone. He will show his true colors when they can finally be alone.
JimBob is not perfect and, with 9 daughters, could make a mistake in choosing/approving a mate for at least one of them.
I haven't read any of the girls book so didn't realize they are all narrating it. I guess when they do an audio they can always redo some parts. I remember seeing Michelle doing an audio and she stopped continually and redid it. I can' believe that Michelle & Jim Bob said they were promoting their two books. How long ago were they written? They should be in the dollar store by now!
Are Michelle & Jim Bob kidding about doing press for their books? They were written soooo long ago! I think they've really lost touch with reality. No pun intended.
The Duggars' book: 20 & Counting was published in 2008. A Love That Multiplies was published in 2011. They really are a little late if they are promoting those books.
"P.S. I forgot to mention, that I have never seen Michelle with flip flops or anything but those ugly slip on gum soled matronly shoes. Why doesn't she have naked feet like her daughters?"
If I remember correctly, Michelle usually wears more sturdy shoes, but she also usually wears thick tights with them, and I don't think the girls wear tights or hose. It can be hard to find shoes that look good with a skirt that work with bare legs. Sneakers are an option, but you'd have to wear no-show socks, and even then sometimes they can look silly. If they feel comfortable wearing sandals or ballet flats, I don't see any problem with that. I know I always struggled with finding shoes that looked good when I grew up wearing skirts (especially when we were expected to buy used).
They already did tours for their own books, didn't they? The real reason is that they keep riding the coat tails of their children. They do not believe that even their adult children have the right to anything without them. Every chance for publicity. They feel their children belong to them forever - apparently. I can't see it any other way. They are hooked on ANY limelight at all and they are jealous of their own blessings. Sorry, JMO.
This family is just plain weird..Michelle worked at a yogurt shop to earn some money while in high school. Now she believes that this was SINFUL? She doesn't allow her daughters to work at any "real world" job that doesn't connect to home and their beliefs. How in the world is that a sin? Where in the real bible does it say that? Ridiculuous.
I think that it's ok with JimBob that Jessa consider marrying a teenage boy because emotionally that's where she is in her development also. She may be 22yrs old, but the "girls" are all 12. JMHO
I can't believe JB and Michelle are promoting their old books, didn't they do that already. JB tries to squeeze out every penny. I am surprised he didn't come out with an CD of their songs-In the Blood, Amazing Grace, with the scratchy violins too. The Bates have CD's they sell on line.
I hope ALERT training is not a means for intensive indoctrination for Josiah - isolated in some remote Gothard compound away from the film crew and the influence of mainstream society - to quell rebellion in the ranks.
If this is the case, Josiah seems pretty bright, so I hope he bides his time, plays by the rules, gets out, RUNS LIKE THE WIND and writes a book, makes lots of money and lives (however HE pleases) happily ever after.
Of course they are still promoting their book. I mean, all authors are going to sign any book they wrote matter how long ago it was! You think JK Rowling stopped signing copies of Harry Potter?
I don't know if it's to promote the book exactly, but Jill said their whole family would be there (which we knew) and would also be signing copies of their books. B&N has the girls book right next to theirs, and B&N is where most of their book signings are, so obviously they would sign the first two in addition to the third. Books need to be sold... Besides, it's not like Jim Bob and Michelle would let the girls go off on their own for a weeks on end. So of course they are going to take the opportunity to sign and promote what the family has already done!
I saw some photos of Michelle wearing some cute winter boots...come on Michelle...give up the dark hose and matronly shoes and go for some cute sandals this summer.
Choosing a husband for life is the most important decision Jessa will ever make in her life. Why are her parents making a mockery of her little courtship time with this kid? They need opportunities to talk privately and spend some time one on one, even if in public to know one another. It takes far longer than a few months, (and not being able to be alone) to know if they are compatible. There is more to marriage and living daily with someone forever than favorite bible verses. Jessa's parents are acting like the "courting kids" and if anyone needs a chaperone, it's the parents. Why would JB approve of a totally inexperienced teenager to be a husband to his daughter who is in her 20s? I
Has anyone considered the possibility that the courtship between Jessa and Ben isn't genuine? It could be staged for the show to give the audience a look at this awful process from the "potential bride's" family point of view. I don't see any of the adoring eyes looking up at Ben when they're together, no heavy breathing like Anna showed towards Josh. Jessa looks nervous, uncomfortable and sits physically constricted in the photos on the web and footage they have shown on TV. That may be the reason JB and Michelle are chaperoning personally. I don't remember the Kellers guarding Anna when Josh and Anna were together. Someone else did that for them.
No offence to Allison but I believe there is a huge difference between an author of J.K. Rowling's statue signing his Harry Potter books regardless of the time frame compared to Jim Bob & Michelle Duggar chasing fame(and money) for "20& Counting" & "A Love That Multiplies."
Does anyone know why Josie Duggar
has such an excessively high forehead and extremely thin hair? I know she was a preemie but she certainly seem healthy enough. It seems none of the other kids ever had that look.
I have a few comments. First; what in the world was Josh thinking re:his comments about the missing plane. He is supposed to be an adult(key word: supposed.) He has a wife and 3 children, he's an Executive Director of FRC. He states he's in politics and makes joking comments about a missing plane with so many people on it. If one of the Duggars were on that plane for a mission trip, what would we be hearing? Also what possessed the Duggars to let the girls do an interview with Cosmo? That magazine is all about physical appearance & sex. They would never allow that magazine in their house. Anything or a few dollars, I guess. Finally on another note; how much attention will be devoted to Michelle & Jim Bob's 30th anniversary this season? I'll bet that will overshadow Ben & Jessa's courting.
I wonder if the adult children control their TLC contracts and money? If they do, it doesn't make sense why they all live on the compound. Though I imagine their parents aren't above using guilt.
I think the Duggar girls in Cosmo is an indication of just how much Jim Bob has sold out,and I can't beleive,no matter the excuses given,that any of their fellow fundies,esp. FRC that Josh works for...really agree with them being in it.Why didn't they just promote this in something that their fellow beleivers read? makes no sense,unless it's for the $.JMO.
Obviously they are different but my point is that obviously publishers want to sell as many books as possible, so of course they are going to include all the books in the signing, not just the newest one. It's silly to think they wouldn't have the family and the other books available for purchase and signing if the girls are going to be out. I don't know why people are surprised by this...
Duggar fans are crawling out of the woodwork to say that Josh was hacked. Sorry, but that post was CLASSIC Josh down to the overuse of hashtags.
It really goes to show how isolated and ignorant he is that he doesn't understand that his #humor is beyond tasteless. This is even worse than the handicapped space pic on Instagram a couple of years ago. Yeah, he took that one down as well and tried to claim he was hacked.
I'm sure TLC had a little talk with him; the show debuts in less than two weeks and they really don't want negative publicity right now.
Poor Josiah. Those pics of him from ALERT are alarming. Like Jana, his smiles don't reach his eyes. :(
While it may not be illegal to read others texts or listen in on phone calls it shows Ji mBoob and Michelle dont trust their adult child to make any decisions on her own. I would bet that they will "encourage" Ben and Jessa to become engaged and then get married whether they want to or not. If they dont wouldn't that be Jessa giving away pieces of her heart which they discourage? Then Ben would just be a boy she dated-something they dont believe in. Their whole goal for courting seems to be marriage.
Re: Ben and Jessa's courtship.
I think the courtship is "real," but totally agree that there do not seem to be sparks between the two. Jessa does not typically exude warmth anyway, but she seems totally uncomfortable and does NOT seem like a hopeful bride being swept off her feet. Ben seems like a nice enough guy, but I can't see the two of them on their own, married, with the awkwardness that currently exists.
Thing is, JimBob's pride may not "allow" a broken-off courtship, and I'm doubting Michelle would pull Jessa aside for a true, true heart-to-heart about what Jessa is REALLY feeling or thinking.
Regarding JimBob and Michelle signing books...I kind of agree with the poster who said they tend to make things all about them. I mean, yes, their books are at those bookstores, too, but isn't this supposed to be the girls' time to shine and promote the book they supposedly wrote?
J.K. Rowling has a young daughter, I believe, and if that daughter decides to write a book when she grows up, it gets published, and the daughter goes on a book tour, I doubt J.K. Rowling would gather all the extra "Harry Potter" books in the store so that she could sign HER books, too. Just a guess, but I think J.K. Rowling would allow her daughter to have her own spotlight.
I really want to know when Josh actually works? It bugs me that he has this "political" job and he is never there. So many other people deserve that job. He isn't in politics he riding FRC's apron strings.
I want a job like Josh, he is never at work. He posted on Instagram from Opryland resort in Tennessee. How can he "work" if he is on the road with the book tour, then in Opryland, and recently he was in Israel. come on what kind of a job is that? Seems like his job is just a title and no substance to it.
It is rumored that Ben is traveling with the Duggars for the book signings. Tell me how is it appropriate for him to be in such close quarters with Jessa on a tiny motor home with 22? people? They can't hold hands, etc, but it's somehow "ok" for them to be sleeping in such close proximity of each other and wake up "together"? There is NO space or privacy in that vehicle as it is. Also, there are 5 post pubescent women aboard, if you include Michelle. That indicates a non-stop time of the month going on there. How unhealthy AND immodest is that? Proves that this family picks and chooses their own God-pleasing rules.
Any way one looks at it their philosophy add up to this: they are more pleasing to God than the rest of us and are the only ones going to heaven. (and the like-minded).
I finally saw the "twirling" promo and TLC absolutely changed it. I haven't seen the more suggestive one since the first day it aired. Perhaps they have an editor on staff who doesn't care for the Duggars? Although the film wouldn't be there to use if Jim Bob hadn't put himself in that position.
Thanks Beth Anne for your explanation,it was truly appreciated. I also want to say if the Duggars and like minded are the ones going to heaven, I'll stay here with the rest of you. No offence to; "the rest of you." I just think you'll make better company for eternity
I'm sorry it was Allison that wrote re: author J.K. Rowling & the Harry Potter books. Again, sorry.
Well,I guess,(somewhat),in their defense,I have both the Duggar books, and I would actually like to have them signed by all the Duggars.They might be easier to resell that way.
But I can see how their fans would probably want to meet them and have their books signed,even though the books aren't rencently published.
Just saw an ad for the new season and they certainly did change it. Now, the only contact I saw between Michelle & Jim Bob was, the swinging around in the carry over the threshold position. Of course, we still have all the all this foolishness of warning Jessa & Ben;" you can't do this yet!"This woman is in her twenties...do they have any idea how they look to the average TV viewing audience? I really hope between all this controversy re: that ad, as well as Josh's extremely poor choices as an "Executive Director" it will all spell doom for the Duggars. When will TLC stop the paychecks to the Duggars?
I agree with the pics of Josiah at ALERT, I mean, he looks like he's in some kind of a trance. His expressions are void of the usual goofiness & upbeat cuteness. And, no, I don't think it's because he's attempting to show a strong military-like face. Amy posted pics on her Instagram congratulating "Siah" on graduating from Basic Training. Sorry, Amy, but not impressed...hmmm, wonder why she just happened to leave out the fact it was "ALERT" basic training. ALERT is NOT the US Military Basic Training. Really seemed like she was trying to help him act like something he's not, and found it annoying. Actually, I find it annoying that the program itself emulates the US Military, and all the Duggar boys go. JB states they support our military, but is always careful to be just enough vague & skirt around about answering whether or not he would fully support HIS kids be a part of the actual US Military.
About Heidi Querry: Couldn't there be another courtship? The whole family (young kids included) get to know her and can decide.
He has complimented her on always being gentle as far as I remember.
I, too, saw the promo with JimBob humping Michele at the mini golf place. I was appalled.
These two talk about modesty so much that it's overkill, yet they do things like this. Jessa must have been so embarrassed.
JimBob came across as a crass hound dog in that promo. It was just plain vulgar.
Before Michaela Bates entered a courtship, there was a blog post about her visiting a family and their grandmother. There was a stronger emphasis on the latter than on any man.
RE: Jessa's and Ben's courtship, I can see how one may thing that it is bogus because of the awkwardness. But does anyone else think that the awkwardness comes from such strict physical rules? I know I would feel uncomfortable if I was around someone I deeply romantically loved and couldn't even hug him.
Also, where are the pictures of Josiah at ALERT?
I saw the commercial, and it did look questionable, at best. I would not want my parents doing that.
I'm sure that not much home schooling is going on in that bus. Has anyone else notice (perhaps it's only the few clips that I've seen) whenever Michelle is homeschooling the ony thing she is teaching are bible verses. Michelle goes on & on about how one bible verse means, you shouldn't be jealous, another means you go to brother and say you're sorry for taking his toy. etc. I know that is the most important thing in their lives but, I've never heard her teach: math, science, history geography. She never even touches on the 3 R's for the little ones. Of course, all you need to do is listen to them and you know they haven't touched on; "Proper English." Their command of the English Language is atrocious & that goes big time for Jim Bob & Michelle. Has anyone ever seen a newspaper in their home?
I saw the "dry humping" one yesterday (3/24) during a Say Yes to the Dress marathon, so no, they have not chucked in favor of the twirly one.
As for Ben, he only went to the weekend book signings (and was at Josiah's "graduation" from ALERT last weekend. He had midterms at his school last week. He's taking classes in Biz Admin...not sure about his program; fellow students in the know say his school doesn't offer a full range of classes and it will be hard for him to transfer without a specialization.
Homeschooling in that house is a joke. There is no real curriculum, they do Gothard bible home study. I am sure there is no science or history. I never saw them read a real book or do a paper or report. They will be so far behind if they ever try to go to a college. There is no way they are prepared for anything beyond Duggarland.
Whatever "job fields" the Duggars claim to support for their children, none of them are official or in the real world. The ALERT "military training" is an insult to our truly dedicated armed forces, and the "obstetric training" Jill and poor babysitter Jana have experienced is an insult to real obstetric registered nurses who deliver ALL babies in the ED and hospitals across our country. This family's preparation for life is a joke. It surely doesn't go beyond their religious walls or community.
I can understand that these adult kids will not know how they are being sheltered and stifled by their parents. They should be attending real colleges, military training etc. If anything happened to their sons-in-law, none of their daughters, including Anna, would be capable of handling their own lives whatsoever. In this day and age, that's a sin that the parents are committing against their own able minded/able bodied children.
I also have noticed that Josie's physical face is different. I would like to hear what the real diagnosis and prognosis is for that poor girl. Just my opinion. Thank you.
I just saw the commercial for the upcoming season.
Why is Michelle squeezed between Ben and Jesse in the small cab of the truck? Seriously Michelle?
More confirmation that Michelle needs attention. If they must be chaperones Jesse could have sat in the middle and Michelle in the . Passenger seat.
Why is it ok for Michelle to sit that close to him? Awkward
I'd like to know why JimBob's mother chose to enroll him in a Christian high school in lieu of a public one. Was JimBob in need of such discipline? It doesn't look like Mrs. Duggar Sr. lived a fundamental Christian life, she worked outside the home, etc., Deanna didn't partake of this extremism either. Why is it "ok" for the kids to hang out with Amy since unfortunately ( as per them) she is attached to her parents' sin? Doesn't make sense.Anyone know the answers?
I haven't found any pics of Josiah at Alert(though it's mentioned on this page),I have found pics of his graduation on Cousin Amy's instagram. http://web.stagram.com/n/amyduggar/
I'd imagine Michelle wears these thick stockings to cover some bad varicose veins after all those pregnancies.
What "school" is Ben going to? Yes, there are a lot of these ultra conserv. "Christian" colleges that the classes/degree won't transfer because they are not accredited, etc. Had a friend of a friend attend Bob Jones, grad. with BA in accounting and come to find out, he couldn't sit for the CPA because of some problems with accreditation. He finally was able to years later after cutting through a bunch of red tape and retaking a couple online courses. Bob Jones wouldn't help out, either, apparently blaming it on the state he moved to requirements...I know, sounds about right. Still like to know if Josh is doing anything about his education, or still sponging off 19k&c for his big office that he's never at, free trips and airfare sporting his Ray Bans & Bose headphones, and grilling on the weekends.
Ben is going to a public community college in Hot Springs - National Park CC.
Wow, so Ben has "real book-learnin')! Hopefully he will get his AA/AS degree and maybe do something real in life. But he's only 19 and not ready for the responsibilities of being a husband and father.
I agree totally with a previous poster who has concerns about how Ben could be when alone and not policed by Jessa's family. The boy could be obnoxious and tyrannical towards her as he might believe it's his God given right to rule the roost. Just saying maybe...Jessa would have no where to turn as I believe her family will blame her for not keeping her hubby happy. So terribly neglectful and stupid of her parents.
As far as Michelle sitting between them in the truck, we must not forget they are only allowed 30 second side hugs. Unless the truck ride was only 30 seconds long, the prolonged side touching might violate this stupid rule of side hugging. I have seen both the twirly and dry humping commercials. Both seem stupid to me. I do question this, does anyone remember if JimBob and Michelle went along on dates with Josh and Anna? I know the sisters were very involved in the accountability watching/chaperoning, but don't remember the elders. I wonder if they trust josh more than their daughters. Or if it's ben they don't trust. Fact is she is a grown person in age mind you I understand that, they should not be so involved. It's gross. The fact that anyone outside the family is okay with it, needs their head checked too. I hope that Jana could find a nice MAN that didnt subscribe to all of this, treats her well, lets her have a say, and runs off with him. Oh I can only dream for her.
From the look of the promo, Michelle is sitting wedged between Jessa and Ben in his vehicle. It appears that he has bucket seats and she is either sticking her butt on half of Jessa's seat or sitting on the gearshift; both of which are illegal. No reason why she couldn't have sat in the back seat. Between that and her honking the car horn while one of her daughters was driving that woman has no knowledge of or respect for driving laws. And, YES, it was quite improper of her to be that close to that boy. Attention hog. She clearly is still that 17 yr old attention seeker. JMO
I was watching a rerun of M3 being born. Why oh why did Josh and Anna risk a one hour drive to the midwife when they could gone to a closer ED to deliver safely. No common sense at all; and why did they have to wait for Mama Duggar? Why did she have to be there and see Anna " in all her glory"? Sorry, I wouldn't want my sisters in law and mother in law seeing my private parts. So not modest..
These are the ALERT pics, I think Josiah might be in a few.
http://www.alertacademy.com/alert/news-updates/
Agreed.
Also, why isn't he working at his job? Convenient self employment just like Josh.
I agree. Jill had her scripted answer that they could maybe "touch someone's lives" etc etc
What I think happened?
Publisher wanted to reach a female audience and Cosmopolitan has big time sales which may up the girls sales. YES JUMBO SELLS OUT AGAIN.
"Nike" on the cover. Is Michelle going to buy the magazine and then black out all the sexy photos and articles?
Given that there was (sort of) room for Michelle to sit between Jessa and Ben, then there would have been several inches between Jessa and Ben, so they didn't need someone to sit between them to not be touching. However, was there a back seat, or was it a pick-up truck? Because, if that was the case, I am sure that Jessa could not be in the middle because somehow Ben might TOUCH her while he is driving.
I think Jim Bob and Michelle feel that as the woman's parents, it is required that they personally attend all dates. With Josh and Anna, Anna's parents were the ones that got to dictate how the chaperoning went.
Also, I don't think Josh and Anna saw each other anywhere but at conferences or Anna's parents until they were actually engaged.
So Ben is taking real college courses at a community college. Is there hope that he might encourage Jessa to do so once they get married?
I just saw the promo for the new show with Jimboob standing behind Michelle on the miniature golf course. For a couple that preach modesty they sure don't seem to practice what they preach. I am surprised he didn't put on the creepy smile and say Jessa and Ben definitely can't do this. I would like to know why Jimboob and Michelle are the ones chaperoning. Josh and Anna had one of the sisters as a chaperone. I find it odd that a 21 year old would even need to be chaperoned. But the girls can't even be trusted to talk to a boy without Jimboob getting involved. It's sad that the girls will go right from their father's authority to their husband's without a chance to experience any freedom. They will go from raising their siblings to raising their own children.
I believe that at the very least Michelle is living vicariously through her daughter, Jessa. Going on a dates with her in the guise of a chaperone. Meanwhile, all the housework and childcare falls to someone else. I know, it always does but this is an even better excuse.
I think I read that Ben is planning to go into politics in some way - like Josh, Zach Bates and Alyssa Bates' future father-in-law (and others). The fundamentalists are trying to get as many of their ranks in politics as possible. We all know what their agenda is and (to me) its a little scary. They are so pushy and judgmental. Ben will need a job of some sort for awhile, though, as Josh had with the "car lot". On another note - I was just thinking these people are so off-the-wall that its almost like they are playing house in a movie or something. Just so odd about everything. Its so not real (is it)?
It seems to me that Mrs. Duggar Sr. is a mild mannered, nice, sweet person. I think she spoiled the heck out of JimBob growing up. He and Michelle are spoiled brats and do whatever they want. I don't see them having a "servant's heart" towards anyone in their family. It seems everyone serves them. Anyone else notice this?
I saw the rerun of them in Israel. Michelle was quite shocked that they didn't have the whole beach to themselves and that there were other traditionally dressed swimmers there.She was outwardly prejudicial against them, IMO. Did JimBob realize how ridiculuous he looked in full jeans and shirt while floating in the Dead Sea? Why doesn't he EVER wear the modest male swim attire his sons wear? However, if a strange man approached my daughters in a foreign country, I, too, would come nearby and see that all is ok. I think at that time, he did the right thing,
Now, maybe Anna and Josh will see a glimpse of real life and realize that their lifestyle of a baby a year is extremely difficult to handle. I wonder if Anna can shower in peace with 3 kids roaming around? I hope and pray that the Duggar parents don't "draft" one of their daughters to be a live in, unpaid nanny/maid for Anna. I also hope that Josh realizes his finances without the TLC paycheck and thinks ahead as to how he will support a large family... not so easy, is it? Yes, God helps when asked, but He expects us to also use our heads and make practical decisions with the intellect He gave us. Anna seems stressed with all of this to handle, but I'm sure she was trained to NEVER voice an opinion or complain..which isn't a good thing.
Re: when Jim Bob went rushing into the water when the girls started talking to a man they didn't know. First of all they were tourists and there were all kinds of people around. Then the girls were in their modest swimwear which always calls attention to them. Then their brothers were right there with them. And finally they were surrounded by cameras from TLC. I didn't see them in any danger. Especially for Jim Bob to say "I'm the "Dad." It wasn't like just a regular family with one or two daughter in bikinis talking to men they didn't know and no one around them that could watch out for them.The man the girls were talking to was asking if that was one family and where they were from. JMHO
I watched the episodes of the trip to Europe, Asia and Israel recently. I can't believe how these new mothers are made to travel after just having given birth, expecting a child, (Michelle) and (Josie) a child still with health concerns. Don't these husbands care that their wives just delivered and need time to heal after labor? They are breastfeeding on the run? I bet if the men carried and gave birth they'd need a year to recover. Just female abuse IMO.
I have to agree-the promo with Jim Bob humping Michelle while putting is disturbing.
For a group that is supposedly very conservative--they sure talk and think about sex a LOT. Way more than I do and I was not a virgin when I got married.
More power to Amy--she's getting to live her life.
I feel sorry for Jinger. She seems to be ignored. She has a real talent and interest in photography yet no one is ushering her along in this. Why can't she become a professional photographer and photograph special events, family portraits, scenes for calendars, etc.? So sad that she will never be give the opportunity.
I also feel for Jana. She had an obvious love and talent for music and harp playing. She, too, will never be given an opportunity for that. Jana was assigned to be "warden of accountability" for Jill. She had to develop an interest in "doula" quickly. Michelle is very selfish to use her daughters as unpaid maids. Get off your duff, 'Mama" and earn the title of Mother.
Just catching up over at Recovering Grace w/r/t the Gothard scandal. It appears that the Chairman of the Board has resigned and none other than Dr. Paine, Erin Bates-Paine's father-in-law, is the new Chairman.
So, Erin is now really a Princess! Of what? Not so sure, since IBLP/ATI is in a pretty vulnerable state these days, what with this scandal, and the overall decline in interest in the programs overall.
Stay tuned, or go read the articles at Recovering Grace. They really shed light on the cult of personality that is Gothard and his toxic teachings.
Perspective on Erin Bates' FIL from a poster at Recovering Grace who was at her wedding:
"With my own eyes, I saw Dr. Paine give a chunk of his own son's wedding reception to publicly gush over Gothard and celebrate him, and hero worship him...talking about how he is the greatest influence in his life other than his own father. Is it just me, but is it pretty messed up when BG and his latest material becomes the center of attention at your child's wedding? Aren't the bride and groom supposed to be getting the attention at the reception? That spectacle leaves me with no confidence that things will get better. There will just be a new guru for the same bad teaching."
Looks like Dr. Paine is just another Gothard sycophant; weak Boards that can be controlled by a charismatic personality is a pretty good indicator that the stuff being sold is rotten to the core. A stronger board would take stronger action than an "internal investigation" into 40 years of abuse allegations.
IMO it sounds like Dr Paine had some personal interest in kissing up to Gothard.They even did the bday cake for him,too.Perhaps he was trying to move up on the proverbial ladder of success within ATI,which it looks like he got in the end.I wonder if any of them saw this coming? They couldn't have been blind to it.jmo.
I thought the guys in the Dead Sea were more interested in why the filming was going on,than they were the Duggar daughters.It's not like the mics and cameras weren't readily visible.They were probably just curious about that,and about the big family being filmed.jmo.
I read that also Nancy and I am so glad you re-posted it here.!! Erin's father AND father-in-law are on the board. Do you know when Gil Bates was appointed to the board? I would be very interested to know that. Thanks.
Re: the Duggar's trip to Israel. .
I agree about the new moms traveling after just giving birth, but I guess Anna knew what she was signing up for when she married Josh. Anna is an adult, although she should have given a little more thought to taking a new baby on a trip like that. I thought the worst part was dragging that little Josie all over the place. She must have needed special immunizations to travel. In my opinion(as a nurse) she remains an at risk child to this day. She was even passed around to strangers who recognized the family. She also wore clothing worn by others to ride on the camel. Anna's baby also must have needed special immunizations to travel to that part of the world. I would never subject a young child or baby to a trip like that for a TV show. I don't think any of them have an ounce of common sense. It shouldn't have surprised anyone that Josie got sick. Oh that's right, Michelle said it was just a little cold!
To answer the Anonymous post re: Don't these husbands care that their wives have just given birth, breastfeeding on the run or a child with health concerns? The answer to that is an unqualified:NO THEY DON"T!
RE: Not a Fan comments:
I don't believe Michelle & Jim Bob went along as chaperones with Josh & Anna, just the sisters. Unless they just didn't show that... but I think would. I remember they drew names out of a hat at the Duggar home for two chaperones and they had to change one as the movie they were going to was "R" rated and one chaperone picked was not old enough for an "R" rated movie. I never understood that one. Also there were always two chaperones.
Josh & Anna didn't go to an R-rated movie. They were going to a screening of a movie that didn't have a rating yet, and I believe it was required that the attendees be over 18. But it's well-known that they saw the Christian movie Fireproof, which of course isn't an R-rated movie.
Yuk. I was going through some of the posts and had a few ????? moments. I'm extremely disappointed, shocked, appalled and stunned. If you are going to talk about being modest, saving yourself for marriage, being pure, virtuous, faithful and living a simple life, you do not tempt those you want to embrace your lifestyle to buy a magazine like Cosmopolitan. I don't care if the name "Duggar" is on the magazine, I'm still going to tell my son not to GAWK at it (Glance Away, Wrong Kind).
RE: Comments about an "R " rated movie. Thanks Allison, I stand corrected. But I still think that if there was a screening of a movie not yet rated, that would have been off limits for even an engaged couple in Duggarland.I remember the entire family went to see "Fireproof." Michelle told Kirk Cameron(when they met him) that little Jackson kept asking if that was his real wife that he was kissing in the movie. What child (as young as Jackson was at the time)would be asking a question like that, especially since it was one of the only movies he had ever seen?I believe it was Michelle's own question.
When I see the picture of Michelle sitting between Ben & Jessa and hear those remarks "you can't do this yet." It make me think that these young women have been around the world & according to the senior Duggars they want them to experience the world. If I were Jessa, I would turn around and say "oh that's what you think.. yes we can do that now! Then I would plant a huge kiss on my intended. If the mood struck me prehaps even a French Kiss!
With all the traveling the Duggars do, the people they meet, the glimpses of the world beyond Duggarland, I can't believe not one of those kids have the backbone to say; "I'm going to do things my own way."
I know somebody wrote about Mackenzie needing speech therapy. Prehaps Anna will do something about that, not really sure. Michelle doesn't even seem to notice the Jennifer has serious speech issues.
On another note; boy do those younger kids seem tired in just about every picture printed. Take them home and let them get some rest. I believe this really borders on child abuse.
I believe that these people really don't respect or value their women. It's apparent to me from their immediately after birth travel, Priscilla visiting her parents with a newborn also. Newborns need quiet, naptime, and a routine in their own home to establish eating and sleeping patterns, etc. So uncaring of the "fathers". The women have no say. Also, the "flip-flop" shoes look, ties into the "barefoot, pregnant and chained to the stove" mentality. Sorry, but that's what it looks like to me. Keep smiling and don't complain..poor women. I am a mother myself and keeping my newborns (2) in a routine after birth was the best thing I could have done for them.
Question..Does anybody know who has final approval of what is aired? Is it TLC, or JimBob? Does Josh have final approval of what is aired of his family? That would be an important piece of information. Thanks
TLC has final approval of what is aired. Jim Bob could ask that something not be filmed, but once it is TLC owns it. People have been known to hide things from the camera.
I wonder, since the Duggar children are regulars on a television show, if they have to abide by the same rules juvenile actors do, in terms of time "on the set" and schooling, etc?
Jim Bob also has a contract with tlc,probably regarding,in some respect,what and how much they can film.
At this point it would be much more interesting to see the contract than the show,to see just how much he has sold out.JMO.
I feel sorry for the kids too, it isn't right being dragged around all over the country like this. They remind me of circus people, traveling around in an old bus, performing for the crowds and eating at greasy spoons along the way. How do they get a good nights sleep or a shower? I would feel like an old rag if I were them.
I agree with Sandi's comment re: Jim Bob running into the Dead Sea to check on the welfare of his daughters. The men really seemed interested in where they were from, also if that was one family? Michelle is always saying how people everywhere ask if that's one family and she just loves that question. Also, there were cameras and sound equipment and crew members everywhere. Plenty of people looking out for their welfare. I think if I saw such a large family, along with cameras & crew, I would probably ask a question or two. I also think the" wholesome modest swimwear" the girls wear attracts a great deal of attention to them. Speaking to others in a Foreign country,( as long as you're not alone) is part of the experience of traveling the world. As far as Jim Bob floating in the Dead Sea in jeans and running into the water saying; "I'm the Dad." That speaks for itself.
I understand that children raised in families like the Duggars and like-minded families are often just so isolated from the real world, that they don't realize anything about the outside world. They are homeschooled (nothing against homeschooling) taught that Dad is the patriarch. They must dress & wear their hair a certain way, have a servants heart, always stay sweet (I hate that expression.) What I don't understand is why they remain that way, when they have had an opportunity to travel the world. They have seen more countrie than most of us will ever see. Michelle goes on & on about what a learning experience these trips are for her children. Yet I don't see that they have learned anything at all..they are the same kids that were raised in Tonitown, AR. If traveling the world doesn't open your eyes to all that life has to offer, what will?
Josh and Anna spend a lot of time with the "family". I would think he has a desk to occupy 9-5. That's the real world. Why did they ever move away if they're always "visiting"?
I'll give Josh a break here. I think in being the oldest and the oldest son, JB has instilled a fierce competition between Josh and himself. The poor (then) kid, always had to prove his maturity, maleness and toughness to his father. JD and Joe are quite different personalities than Josh. I think they have been beaten down by their father to "stay in place" so JB is the alpha-male dominance there. They are permitted to work at manual type jobs, but not get too big for their britches in front of JimBob.Daddy will still have control over his married kids.. after all, isn't "20" their quiver? He purchased 20 acres coincidentally, one acre for each married child to return to the roost.. JMHO
Reality show children are not members or qualified to join actors' guilds so generally no protections. Most states don't have laws for child actors either. Arkansas doesn't have laws in place to protect the kids.
Too bad they are not considered "actors" at least then their earnings would be put away for them in a trust fund. That way they would have had their own money to spend on their education or for a house. Also, there would be some regulation re; hours spent on school work, these kids lost out on both counts.
No protective measures for child actors in Arkansas? How backward can that be? It's quite obvious now that any of those kids, all 18 at home, don't have any idea how much $ they earn per episode. I'm sure they signed a POA to JimBob giving him complete authority to collect and hold on to their $ from TLC. They also may be paid as a unit, ie, Duggar Family, INC., or something of that nature. How can Michelle "defraud" her own children? Surely they all won't be able to afford a 30,000 sq.ft house and support 20 children. It is the responsibility of every parent to want better for their own children than they had themselves.. Clearly, the "world" revolves around JimBob and Michelle.. including Mrs. Duggar Sr.
"What I don't understand is why they remain that way, when they have had an opportunity to travel the world. "
Sure, they've traveled the world, but they've only been exposed to what their parents wanted them to be. It's not like they had to find their own way through the transit system, research and plan their own sights to see, figure out how to interact with the locals, or make their own choices about appropriate boundaries or activities. I think it's well established that they remain "sheltered" well into adulthood. When you don't allow yourself to be open minded to new ideas and ways of life, it doesn't matter how much you see outside of your own hometown. Your life still consists of the narrow lens you choose to look through.
Re: The Dead Sea incident with the girls. When you call attention to yourself....that's what you get!
" Do you know when Gil Bates was appointed to the board? I would be very interested to know that.
Gil Bates has been on Gothard's Board of Directors for somewhere around 3 years now. Dr. Stancil is a new member, added since the resignation of Dr. Boring and a second Board member. Notice how all of the other men have advanced degrees/accomplishments aside from being a successful sperm donor 19 times. Gil Bates really sticks out like a sore thumb here.
http://iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-information/board-directors
And I leave you with the always-modest Michelle talkingn aobut her sex life (and tacitly confirms that yes, they leave all the night time problems that little kids can have - bedwetting, nightmares, etc - to the JSlaves).
http://thestir.cafemom.com/entertainment/170276/michelle_duggar_shares_the_secret
Ashley said it perfectly. Those children "look at the world" but don't see the world. They can only look at it through the motor home window or that stinky bus window. They aren't allowed to EVER interact with anyone. A brief hello in passing doesn't constitute interaction.
They have indoctrinated in this isolation and belief system their whole lives and no nothing else. That alone IMO constitutes emotional abuse. JimBob and Michelle Duggar, IMO bully their children with abuse on a few levels. Why, oh why doesn't Grandma Duggar step forward and swat her little boy in the behind.
Oh, and that "train em up" method of beating a smile and compliance into your kids? Someone should ask those parents directly if they have ever used any of those horrible compliance techniques on their children. Someone should do it to them and see how they like it first. Just awful
Nancy - Thanks for the info about Gil Bates. Yes, I thought it was odd the way they worded his "bio" on the board list also. I mean, he does have a college degree, right? They could have at least mentioned that. Instead they seemed to "downgrade" him and call him a "Duggar friend" etc. Very strange.. but what else would you expect? To me, the people in their "community" are starting to appear like cartoons of themselves.
When Anna has been interviewed solo she is still so immature. She speaks like a teenager with no self confidence or a sense of who she is yet. The moment she "slips" and voices some apprehension or concern about an upcoming issue she has to handle, she immediately corrects herself and smiles that "it will be all ok", as if she's afraid to question any decision that Josh has made with his parents about their lives.. She has to maintain the "our life will be perfect" because we leave it to God. That being said, life isn't always perfect and God allows us difficulties at times in life, that IS life..She is so afraid to think anything but the party line.
JMHO
I am really hoping this will be the last season of 19 Kids and Whatever. I think it would be best for the kids if they were no longer filmed constantly. Now that the abuse of women by Bill Gothard is out in the open (and he has resigned and is supposedly being investigated), I think it is inappropriate for this Duggar "ministry" on TLC to continue. I also think it is inappropriate for TLC to have Josh on air, since he works for a certified hate group. I will not be watching the show when in airs. I may watch it later online, but I do not want to add to their ratings. Time for this to end. Will be interesting to see what the ratings are tomorrow night.
It's my opinion that a totally inexperienced girl like Jill can't "fall in love" with someone she never met. She can, however, be infatuated, like a pre-teen crush on a teen idol. Real, adult love for marriage takes experience, maturity and time,,time to really know each other NOT when around the families. Spending time alone with each other is vital. What if she/he doesn't like how she/he kisses, etc? Going from absolutely no conversation with males to first kiss, then non stop sex in one day is ridiculuous. It's children marrying children. IMHO
I agree Nancy Ann, it is time for the 'kids' to have their own lives and the little ones to grow up without the effects of constantly being on display. I believe its been 10 years since the first Duggar special aired. They've grown and changed and now it's time to move on.
No way...JimBob is going to milk this for all he can get. He won't let the money train get away.
Post a Comment