Let's try a monthly thread for Duggar items that don't fit with the episodes or major new articles. Please use this for Duggar sightings, speculation, or general discussion. Note that this is Duggar discussion not other families, TV shows, or personal stories.
238 comments:
«Oldest ‹Older 201 – 238 of 238In this day and age, I just think it is lunacy to compromise your family's safety and privacy this way. But here, this oh-so moral and Christian family, has done just that. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I think they are probably naive in a lot of ways. I wonder if they'd like to get out of their contract, but are locked in to what amounts to servitude, like Jon & Kate were?
I've also wondered how long a contract they signed. J&K were/are beholden to TLC for everything they have so they pretty much had to keep on going while their personal lives were falling apart before their eyes. Unlike J&K, the Duggars came into this more financially secure so once the contract expires, they can walk away without losing everything. I hope they go back to the occasional special. Having to come up with an episode every week has to affect (disrupt) their lives not to mention having to come up with "interesting" material to air. Many of the posts on this site have mentioned the seeming unruliness of the younger children. They have grown up with lights and cameras around them. As much as they try to say that people eventually get used to having the cameras there, to me it's a signal to the little ones that they're "on" and being young, their reaction is to run and jump and get hyper. When the cameras are gone, I'd bet they'd be calmer.
It seems that whoever wants a thank you from the new parents wants a little slice of self-importance.
A gift is given with nothing expected in return. Sure, a thank you would be nice. But, the sender has to remember that they sent it on their own volition, and they need to examine WHY they sent the gift.
A verbal thank you given during filming should be thanks enough to viewers that sent them gifts. :)
I've been wondering about the Duggars contract with TLC as well. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they are locked into something that might be more than they bargained for. I hope that's not the case, but I'm afraid that between really really wanting the chance to showcase their beliefs on a national forum, and of course appreciating the extra income the show would generate, I could see JB and M signing a contract without having it gone over with a fine tooth comb by a shark of an attorney.
I think if you were a family stuck in a contract with TLC and you wanted out -- you should just be boring as all get out until viewership drops down sufficiently that TLC will drop you.
I just watched the early episodes on Youtube and read all the comments. iT's really creepy how many men are commenting on the Duggar girls, particularly Jessa. I wonder if Jim Bob has any idea how dangerous it is to have put his daughters out in the public eye like that, for weirdos and creeps to leer at. I wonder if he is stupid or naive, or just so greedy for money that he doesn't care.
With Hollywood celebrities, they know what they are getting into, as part of fame comes loss of privacy, I just wonder if the Duggars realize that they have no privacy and that weird men are talking and lusting after their daughters. Creeps me out, and those aren't my daughters!
Should they care what others think of them? I doubt if they really care as it seems they are more concern about pleasing God than man.
I am so disappointed in the Duggar's it is not even funny.
I was really hooked by their first special, 14 kids and pregnant again.
But I have since learned that JB and M had their home declared a church and pay 0 property taxes on their 7000sf home nor the 20 acres of land it sits on.
I remember in that first special, when they lived at the 'old' home they talked about how they held church on their home so I suspect this has been going on for a long time.
I am a Christian and I want to like the Duggars.
But all I see know is an opportunistic sneak who skirts the law anyway possible (in JB)
I am sure the older children know what's going on, or they will soon. How will JB councel them as adults to skirt the law? They can't all possible follow mom and dad's example, as 19 people from the same family all declaring their homes churches probably wouldn't fly to the IRS.
I know JB and M are only flawed humans but this is such a disheartening thing to find out.
Kathie
Kathie, you have only encountered a widely spread internet rumor with no foundation. People have checked the online tax records and have found that the Duggars pay the same property taxes as other residents of their county.
wow, once again the myth that the Duggars do not pay property taxes emerge. It is like gossip, someone hears someone else says it and then states it as fact.
The fact is if you look up their property you can see, as it is a public record, that they pay thousands of $$$ each year of that property. Just because you have a home church does not mean you get to write off all of your property taxes. First you have to file forms and do a lot of paper work and comprimising to get any type of tax exempt. And if they choose to do this, which I do not believe they do, they can only write off a very small amount. They use one main room once a week for home church so that may be 5 percent of the time and space thus not giving them a tax exempt that is worth filling out the paper work and be accountable for a tax write off.
You know they pay I think it is $13,000 a year in property taxes which at least in my state goes to support the public school system, and they do NOT use the system. So they are giving and not receiving and yet you want to make a case how dissapointed you are in them. Why not get the facts before you make a judgement.
"Betty has left a new comment on the post "Duggar Free Discussion November":
Kathie, you have only encountered a widely spread internet rumor with no foundation. People have checked the online tax records and have found that the Duggars pay the same property taxes as other residents of their county. "
I should have read ahead. I get so tired of those who keep this rumor going with no facts to back it up.
Kathie - JB mentioned on an early show that they pay taxes just like everyone else and that they don't mind doing their share, even though their children do not attend the public schools.
I am just curious if anyone has seen or noticed - or heard - any real clues about JD and Erin? I mean, it could be Michaela. I believe she is even older than Erin? Just curious.
Maybe the Duggars receive so many gifts that they just can't handle them. I would bet the things they receive get sent straight to some charity, and they never lay eyes on them. Would you want your new baby wearing items from a complete stranger?
Kathie - JB mentioned on an early show that they pay taxes just like everyone else and that they don't mind doing their share, even though their children do not attend the public schools.
11/23/2009 1:58 AM
================================
Did JB mention what specific taxes they pay? Or just "taxes" in general? Perhaps he meant income taxes?
I would love to be wrong, in fact it would restore my faith in the Duggars and make me think less of the Duggar haters. Like I said, I like the Duggars, I don't just hate them because they are conservative and have a large family like some people.
Maybe I did fall prey to internet rumors but I looked up the tax records (as well as I could) and I am seeing 0.00 tax for all 4 of JB and M's parcels. It also says "there are no payable parcels listed"
I found this at:
https://www.ark.org/washingtoncounty/index.php
you enter the name Duggar in the box above 'find my taxpayer number' and see 4 parcels listed to JB and M then see the 0 dollar amounts.
Please, if I am wrong, someone set me straight.
Kathie
Kathie, the reason it shows 0 is that they have no outstanding payment due. Click on each parcel and you can see how much the annual tax is for each.
My property tax shows 0 also because I paid them in full last month.
To be declared a charity you must file for a 501 c(3) and if you are a church trying for this you MUST stay completely out of politics.... Makes Jim Bob unable to qualify for it even if he wanted to...
http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable/article/0,,id=96099,00.html
AND it doesn't help with PROPERTY taxes anyway.... it only helps with donations TO the church or any 'income' that the CHURCH brings in.
Yes, you are right about filing the forms. I know that most conserative people do not want to get involved in any red tape with the government as it ties their hands in what they can say or not say including politics. JB is very vocal in the political area as he too has ran for political office.
I looked it up and clicked on the property like she said to. For 600 Arbor Acres rd, they paid 921.04 dollars for the 2008 year.
https://www.ark.org/washingtoncounty/index.php?ac:show:step3b_itemdetail=1&billno=2901455
Mrs P
Is that $$ amount for one parcel?
$921 is a far cry from $13K, or whatever someone claimed they paid.
1)Personal Property 921.04
2)Real Estate 4,021.33
3)Real Estate 998.22
4)Real Estate 7,646.21
Homestead Credit -350.00
Timber Tax 1.05
TOTAL for the properties ONLY in that ONE county that belong to them is $13,237.85
And keep in mind this only includes the properties in THAT county.... this does not include the other properties they own all over that area.
"
1)Personal Property 921.04
2)Real Estate 4,021.33
3)Real Estate 998.22
4)Real Estate 7,646.21
Homestead Credit -350.00
Timber Tax 1.05
TOTAL for the properties ONLY in that ONE county that belong to them is $13,237.85
And keep in mind this only includes the properties in THAT county.... this does not include the other properties they own all over that area. "
Thanks for posting that. I knew somewhere I read they pay over $13,000 in property taxes and now you have broken it down. So now is this family back in good graces? I get tired of others judging them cause they have a home church and assume they do not pay taxes. Is not passing false information like that a form of gossip?
Suz.. said
Thanks for posting that. I knew somewhere I read they pay over $13,000 in property taxes and now you have broken it down. So now is this family back in good graces? I get tired of others judging them cause they have a home church and assume they do not pay taxes. Is not passing false information like that a form of gossip?
*******************
Gossip is defined by Malicious spreading of rumors.... I would give benefit of the doubt to anon that it was an honest question because she/he had read the rumor and wanted us to clear it up for them....
Well thank you for clearing that up.
I was hoping the 0.00 payable meant that the taxes were all ready paid for the year (I notice it is 2008, not 2009)
I doubt the Duggars care what I think, but it is a little hard to take them at their word IF they were finagling out of taxes.
thanks
kathie
Do you consider those who take on a mortgage and get to write off the interest as trying to get out of paying taxes? Suppose there was some truth to it, that they were able to write off legitally a percentage of the property taxes due to having a home church would that give you a case to think less of them than someone who pays less income taxes because they pay interest on their mortgage?
Note since they pay cash for their home they do not take a deduction that most families take when writing off the interest of their mortgage.
They only way they would ever be able to pay less property tax as a church would be if they were a registered church. Trust me, in those circles, being a government registered church is the LAST thing those people would do.
Thanks to whoever found the other parcels! I only found that one, and I was in a hurry trying to go somewhere with my children. (a mommy's work is never done! LOL)
Mrs P
I don't watch any of the Duggar shows because:
1) Jim Bob and Michelle believe that the Pill causes abortions (Michelle had a miscarriage while on the Pill). That's not accurate, and I don't like how that misperception is spread on their website.
2) I don't agree with how their decision to have so many kids affects the older ones, who are essentially made parents while they're still growing and developing themselves. Michelle and Jim Bob are the parents, but how much one-on-one time does each child really get? Everything seems to be about the family as a whole, with less emphasis on individuality.
I don't agree with their religion either, but that's a whole other soapbox I won't get started on. ;)
Property tax years usually lag behind calendar and often fiscal years. It could very well be that Arkansas counties don't bill out their taxes until late in the year so the 2009 property taxes may not be posted online yet. In North Carolina the current year taxes often aren't available online until the tax year is closed, so the latest records online are the 2008 taxes.
I think sending a gift to a TV family you have never met and likely will never meet and then expecting a personal thank-you is a bit much.
SuzanneDeAZ said...
Should they care what others think of them? I doubt if they really care as it seems they are more concern about pleasing God than man.
Well, they are very concerned about modesty and not inciting wicked thoughts in men's minds. I don't agree at all that the girls or the parents are responsible for weirdos who choose to publicly lust after them. However, I do wonder if the Duggars don't realize that modest dress hardly matters to perverts, when you display your family on television.
I have a quick question...I don't watch all episodes of the Duggar's and have obviously missed this part. When the Duggar's refer to "Nike" when talking about how a person dresses, what exactly does that mean? I'm assuming it refers to an immodest way of dressing, but where did they coin the term "Nike"?
Thanks in advance for your answer!
921 yearly in property taxes? no wonder everyone homeschools, no one pays property taxes for a decent school system.
Here's an idea! Knit or crochet or create a really cute baby gift. Donate it to your local homeless or battered womens shelter. You might not get a thank-you note either but your gift will be much more appreciated.
I think NIKE means look down at their shoes (Nike sneakers, maybe?), so the boys will avoid their lustful feelings by seeing a neck or something.
Of course, those flip flops that the girls wear are very revealing and the right kind of creep doesn't give a hoot what the girls are or are not wearing. Seeing those bare toes could be as dangerous as a whole leg.
The NIKE thing is really weird because it removes all responsibility from the boys and puts it all on the girls. And to listen to JoyAnna describe 'defrauding', you can tell that Michelle and Jim Bob haven't done such a good job explaining these things. IT's all motion only.
Jana explained that they say "Nike" when they are out in public and see a woman who is dressed immodestly.
This is a code word to tell the boys to look at their shoes (Nike like the brand of shoe) until they are past the woman.
"you get what you pay for said...
921 yearly in property taxes? no wonder everyone homeschools, no one pays property taxes for a decent school system."
As was stated earlier, that was only ONE piece of their property. Someone posted the whole of all their properties was closer to 13,000 dollars, I believe. The 921 dollars was only for ONE piece of property.
Mrs P
Well, I get the feeling that Jim-Bob & Michelle don't trust their older children. If their faith and teachings are well drummed into those girls they have nothing to worry about. Course I had always heard the phrase, if you don't trust your kids, it's because you must have been naughty when you were that age. I know the world is bad and good at the same time, I see it also as getting worse instead of better. The point is the world does not go away, keeping your kids sheltered in any form is just gonna make them a victim. Look what happens to kids and women who escape polygamy, they have a very hard time coping in the world, and sadly most go back. I think the Duggar time is very real to them, they have pretty much made their own world. It has their time table, how they teach, eat, think everything(like this is the stuff that Jim-bob & Michelle always wanted to do, when they were kids, think about it, if you had a lot of money and never had to worry about anything how would you live?)! Even Anna made a comment about getting up so late in the morning, that she was a morning person.
Post a Comment